Wednesday, September 30, 2009

B3

Date September 30
Miracler Doug Patterson
Location San Francisco

Liner notes, by DP

Boy do I love the Hammond B3. I’m not sure how Richard “Groove” Holmes failed to make the cut, but I still stand by this playlist. If you don’t squinch up your face and shout “yeah!” at least once, well, you’re not really listening. I hope you like it. (Actually, I just hope that Russell Blank and Ben Tinker like it.)

1 KEEP LOOSE / Jimmy McGriff • In which Jimmy McGriff pretty much tells Jimmy Smith to go f*ck himself.

2 THE FINAL COMEDOWN / Richard Tee & Grant Green • Okay, it’s more of a Grant Green guitar workout, but hey, now you have it!

3 BLACK TALK / Charles Earland • With a melody lifted (sorta) from Eleanor Rigby. Not sure why the album is titled Black Talk! while the song is missing the exclamation point. I mean, either you’re excited about this shit or you’re not.

4 STAY LOOSE / Jimmy Smith • Jimmy sings! A bit of an oddity, but it’s an awful lot of fun. And at four minutes, it’s one of the shorter cuts on the mix (you’ll thank me later).

5 THE VIBRATOR / Jack McDuff • A little groove/soul jazz from Brother McDuff for y’all.

6 SIDEWINDER / Akiko Tsuruga • Lee Morgan’s great song, interpreted for your listening pleasure by a Japanese chick. Crazy, baby!

7 LET ‘EM ROLL / “Big” John Patton • With Bobby Hutcherson on vibes and Grant Green on guitar.

8 TROUBLE MAN / Dr. Lonnie SmithI saw Lonnie Smith and Jimmy McGriff face off in a “Battle of the B3s” at Yoshi’s a few years ago. The audience won.

9 BACK AT THE CHICKEN SHACK / Jimmy Smith • Great song, great album. A nice slow blues number with Stanley Turrentine on sax and Kenny Burrell on guitar.

10 THE WORM / Jimmy McGriff • Did I mention that McGriff is my favorite B3 player? That’s Blue Mitchell on trumpet. Good, huh?

11 WORKSONG / Baby Face Willette • A nice version of the Nat Adderley song, but here mainly so I could type “Baby Face Willette.”

12 DIG ON IT / Jimmy McGriff • Are you feeling funky? I’m feeling funky.

13 J & G BLUES / Jack McDuff • Jack McDuff’s turn to tell Jimmy Smith to go f*ck himself. With Gene Harris, one of my favorite pianists, on, uhmmm… piano.

14 SOUL SHOUTIN’ / Shirley Scott • Thanks, and good night everybody! You’ve been an amazing audience!

Mix is here. Check your email for log-in/password. And remember: Comment on this mix for ultimate pore shrinkage! Enjoy, XOK

16 comments:

fritz said...

Never knew B3 players were such pottymouths... Looking forward to loading this one up when I get home!

John said...

All of 3mpmp's mixes have a gem or two sprinkled amongst fine sets of music. But this one is 100% organ-ic ear candy; 79 minutes of aural treasure that I couldn't have compiled on my own (I have an old Richard "Grove" Holmes LP that I love but am just too lazy to go wading further...). Thanks!

Suzanne said...

Yes, yes, and more yes. Doug, you've injected soulful energy into my gray week. An instant favorite mix. I wish I'd thought of it first but couldn't have done it better.

Kevin Seidel said...

Mr. Miracle Darling...if the mix is as good as the liner notes, you've lived up to the billing.

Kevin Seidel said...

Mr. Miracle Darling...if the mix is as good as the liner notes, you've lived up to the billing.

Kevin Seidel said...

so nice, I had to say it twice. (I know this doesn't count as 3 comments Kelly)

kelly niland said...

Congratulations, Kevin! You're triply entered into the next amazing Sweepstakes! XOK

fritz said...

Great stuff! As we say in Chicago: it schmoked my schnutz!

Doug said...

Or as Kelly would edit it, "it schm*ked my schn*tz!"

kelly niland said...

I had to edit it. My dad just joined the group.

fritz said...

I'm sure he already knows what schnutz are.

kelly niland said...

Well, he does now. XOK

Greg Mills said...

I wish I knew what what Schutz are.

Doug, don't you own one of these beasts? A B3, not a schnutz.

Sam Koritz said...

Black Talk & Chicken Shack are particularly swinging. & nice sticking to a theme.

Anonymous said...

Cannot listen to this mix with my bootay attached to the chair. Can't do it.
Oh well, no work getting done but who cares when my soul is so happy!
Thank you, thank you, yet again, you do not disappoint.

Steven T(rujillo) said...

I'm gettin' a lotta "Turn that up!" at work this week, and I'm only too happy to oblige.