Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rocket Sled

Date February 3, 2010
Miracler ST
Location Santa Fe


Notes by ST
Bio: "Steven Trujillo's favorite go-to 3MPM is the part about five to ten minutes into the high-school romantic comedy, when the heroine (canonically, Julia Stiles; others considered on a case-by-case basis) is arriving at school on a sunny day in her cool beater car with her little sister or cool but outcast friend-boy, and we meet the jocks and the weirdos and the cool-girls and the nerds - and there's sunny jangling girl-pop playing over it all. He likes that song a lot. He also likes - quite a bit - our hostess's freshman-year college roommate, the alternate take, the stuttering time signature, the fleeting good idea, the occasional abrupt transition, and, apparently, boys-with-guitars bands."

Mix: "A complicated selection algorithm, several graphs and charts, and an independent review panel were involved in the preparation. Tracks 5, 6 and 8 are a partial unintended response to Ms. Niland's 'What you got?' on Facebook re: best non-miraclized tracks of 2009. Ultimately I inadvertently or subconsciously sequenced the whole thing to align with my morning commute, which I guess kind of points to my primary venue for working on this mix."

Aside: Mix title has no significance other than what's on my mind a lot lately.

PS: Yes, Al Stewart.


Mix is here. Enjoy, XOK

8 comments:

Jeanne-Marie said...

whoah ! Mysteries of Life are old pals of mine - so cool you put them on this mix, listening to it right now! thanks

Kelly Niland said...

Sneaky: AC Newman AND New Pornographers! Other faves: Eno, Pastels (apologies for misspelling Viaduct in tracklist), Cat Power, Elvis C, God Help the Girl (natch), Al Stewart (Yay), and prob more after more listenings. Fun stuff, ST.

Kevin Seidel said...

Solid mix Steven. What a crazy guilty pleasure that last one is! That's the one that goes over the closing credits, right?

Doug said...

Eno and The WINKIES (not Wrinkles), dear Hostess. And isn't "Hearts and Stars" a Super XX Man song? Really fun mix, Mr. Trujillo - thank you. Especially for I Was a King, the confluence of two things I love dearly - Teenage Fanclub and Norwegian rock.

Kelly Niland said...

Okay, WRINKLES is what I was told by the Miracler, so that one's not my fault. That said, I was surprised, when fact-checking, not to find any Google references. But I didn't know to look for Winkies.

Great to see you back here, Doug...I think...

XOK

Steven T(rujillo) said...

Thanks all.

I believe I did indeed convey "Winkies".

"Hearts and Stars" is I guess really a Scott Garred song, which explains both affiliations. This version is credited to Silver Scooter and is from a 1996-ish compilation of in-studio performances from KVRX (UTx Student Radio).

sevabelli said...

There's a lot of new stuff for me here. Bic Runga, I was King, Push Kings all faves. And three cheers for Al Stewart, always welcome in my opinion. Thanks Steven, for an interesting mix.

3 Minute Pop Miracle Project said...

Whoa! Just double-checked and twas I, Miraclers, who typed in Eno and the Wrinkles instead of Winkies.

It's the Winkies, friends. Winkies. Not Wrinkles.

And it's Viaduct, not Viaduce. No more drunk typing for me, clearly.

XOK