DateSeptember 30, 2010
Miracler
Doug Patterson
Location
San Francisco
Brief bio from NPR on the occasion of her passing last year
The aptly named singer and pianist Blossom Dearie had a unique, childlike voice that, along with truly swinging piano work, could deliver scathing wit wrapped in a sweet package.
A consummate performer, Dearie eschewed jazz improvisation. And while her harmonies were inspired by Frank Sinatra, her pixie-like voice was counterbalanced by the muscular rhythms she pounded out in the manner of Count Basie and Oscar Peterson.
Dearie avoided working in cabarets and nightclubs for much of her career; her delicate voice was no match for the smoky atmosphere of such venues. However, she was a fixture at the Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan, where she performed regularly starting in 1983.
Also, if you're anywhere within a stone's throw or a jet's trajectory of San Francisco and its currently perfect weather this weekend, stop on by the admission-free, corporation-free picnic-and-wine-welcome Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in GG Park. The lineup is awesome, as in full-of-awe: just a few of many Miracler faves include the Avett Bros, Bonnie Prince Billy, Conor Oberst, Elvis Costello, Emmylou, X, Fountains of Wayne, Gillian Welch, Jenny Lewis, Jonathan Richman, Jon Langford, NIck Lowe, Patti Smith, Randy Newman, Richard Thompson, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Steve Earle, and T-Bone, not to mention some actual bluegrass icons like Doc, Earl, Hazel. It's their 10th anniversary and they're pulling out all the stops.
Mix is up. Same password. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK
10 comments:
Wow! Thanks for putting this together, Doug.
Just starting to download this but am so excited about it. Thanks, Doug.
Wow, great mix. Little Jazz Bird is my favorite that I hadn't heard & Blossom's Blues is high-larious -- the best use ever of Gina Lollobrigida in a blues song. Thanks Doug!
Loving this mix... especially "I Won't Dance". I love the switch to French and back at the end. (Quelle surprise!)
I can usually only listen to her in small amounts, but this mix is growing on me. Thanks Doug!
Our family cabin had a console stereo and something like seven LPs - one was a Blossom Dearie collection. This mix is so loaded with wonderful songs and wonderful memories. Thanks.
Thanks Doug. This is definitely a place I need to linger at right now. Wasn't on the map when I was younger and not exactly a new home for me but a bridge to a genre I am only now starting to appreciate.
I was very wary when I saw this was French-themed set, mostly because I'm a backwoods American, afraid of them people and their pommes frites. Very happy I fought those initial urges. Nice stuff.
oops! Wrong mix!! haha. Well, okay, how do I get outta this one? I still have to listen to this.
"Ev'rything I've Got" is an amazing song. Great collection!
Post a Comment