Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fistful of Wistful

Date
February 27, 2014

Miracler
Beth McKenna

Location
Oakland, CA

First-Time Miracler coming through!
The Prodge always loves picking up new members, and getting to know their thoughts on the subject over time. Today I'm thrilled to introduce a gal whom I can't believe I only met last year, given our number of mutual friends. I give you Beth McKenna, lawyer/wife/mom to twin boys/prolific music maker/ guitarist/singer of Bay Area band Shitty Shitty Band Band, whose sound was described recently in BAM as Jan & Friends of Dean Martinez-style surf/ swing/salsa/jazz/pop and today, we can add one more slash to her title: /Fabulous maker of super-tight Miracle Mixes. Brava, Beth!

Liner Notes by BMcK
The sweet spot I’m aiming for here is that zone between happy and sad, sometimes slow but always buoyant, soft but packing a bit of bounce. I start off with some bossa nova, which by its nature epitomizes wistful saudade -- dreamful longing. I then move through 60s pop, and pass randomly through later eras, stopping along the way to fill my basket with gems of wistful bliss.

Mix is UPNew password, y'all! Check your email. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

17 comments:

Gioia said...

Love it. I had a feeling from your description that I would like this one, and it did not disappoint. Great title and cover to boot! Thanks Beth!

Melissa said...

Where am I? At a cocktail party coyly rebuffing the advances of Don Draper while I manage not to spill a drop of my martini? Well, that's certainly where I was for the first five songs of this mix. Then...two tunes in a row featuring harmonica? Then...STEVIE WONDER!

This mix turned Thursday afternoon into an adventure.

sircvs said...

I like this mellow (sorry, not the word, just my fave) mix. McCartney's ode to the Farm Fantasy. Stevie Wonder song...what is that weird sound they're making, or more, why? It is farm catlike and wonderful.

I never noticed the fadeout of the Firefall song, where they go to a round. I wonder if that was a last-minute producer idea that the band never adopted live.

We're starting a flute revolution. I was at a party a while ago, the Tubes were playing, and some older Marin lady, glasses, long hair in a plain cotton dress kept jamming along on a flute in an unoccupied mic. Finally, someone off to the side just reached over and grabbed the end of the flute and snatched it away from her lips!

portuguese

Doug said...

Flute intervention! I like it. And I like this mix. A lot. Thanks, Beth.

Beth said...

Yes, CvS, the background singers' noises on "Smile" make that song for me. How did they come up with that?

sircvs said...

It's a blind guy thing maybe. Or something to do with his polyamorous lifestyle at the time. Sounds good!

Sam K. said...

Superwoman leaf free love child smile nice smile please wild mountain honey heart country rainbow marmalade!

Wes said...

I loved the start to this mix. A perfect Martin Denny kind of sound. By the middle of the Wanda Sa cut I was doing the dance that makes my dog give me that odd look. That’s always the sign of a good mix. That dance continued well into the Marcos Valle song and started again with the flute strains of the Free Design song. Neil Young has always been a favorite. The Buffalo Springfield song is one of his best. Todd Rundgren is so overlooked. His songwriting and influence is amazing. Stevie Wonder has amazed me since the very first time I heard Fingertips. Smile Please is one of his best. Hooray for Steve Miller. He’s a great songwriter and this one stands out. I was such of fan of Firefall when i was young. I was embarrassed then, but wear it with pride now. A couple of friends saw Ron Sexsmith in Victoria a while back and said it was an amazing performance. This is a great song. I really like that you ended it with Victoria Williams, a little more flute and a reference to picking up a hitchhiker on the way to a Rainbow gathering. Well done, Beth. Thanks for a great mix.

Tim Carroll said...

Welcome, Beth. Tthanks for this gentle-making mix.
Caetano Velosa's music is desert island music. Wanda Sa's is too.
Free Design -- lovely.
I really dig Todd Rundgren when he sings a ballad. His complicated stuff is so... complicated. Thanks for "Be Nice to Me."
Is first time Victoria Williams has been on 3MPMP? I'm not that familiar with her. She opened for Lou Reed at the Berkeley Community Theater around 1997, and I thought she was quirky and great. She's got a nice Joni waver on this track.

Sam K. said...

I got cut off. Thanks for this mellow mix, Beth. I didn't like bars then so didn't see SSBB as much as I would've otherwise but I thought your band was really inspired, took it a less of a joke as the band members seemed to. Thanks for sharing!

plasticarmy said...

Wistful yet seems to reflect a happier place like some place where the weekend lasts 5 days long and the work week only two. And then you remember it's the other way around. Maybe that's the wistful part. Also, that Marmalade track - am I crazy or does The Shins 'New Slang' inherit some DNA from that tune?

Jeanne-Marie said...

Nice way to nail the mellow mood Beth on your first mix for the 3mpm!
Very soothing on a another day when one wakes up to more snow.

The whole thing just flows from Gal Coasta and Caetano Velaso, to the Cyrkle, Ron Sexsmith and the sweet Victoria Williams. Only a skilled mix maker knows how to add in Buffalo Springfield and Firefall. Hearing "Heart of the Country" brings back memories of the '70's for me.
Lovely Mix Beth, Thank you!

Danny Lee said...

The Cyrkle did something else besides "Red Rubber Ball?" Yes they did (I like it a lot too). Also like the "Chup Chup", which could only be better if I was sucking on a caramel apple Chupa Chup. Ron Sexsmith can do no wrong, really - and yet, I only seem to accumulate his songs one at a time. My favorite of all, though, is the lovely and wistful Wanda Sa. Obrigado, Beth!

Danny Lee said...

Just found out that The Cyrkle were discovered and managed by Brian Epstein and named by... John Lennon. Hm!

alix said...

Ahhhhhh. The perfect misty morning mix. Totally loved the vibe on this one Beth! (The only thing missing were gently lapping waves as I watched the sunrise from my cabana....) I love a good harmonica and to have TWO great tunes on here was a fun surprise. I think you absolutely nailed the happy/sad sweet spot. Looking forward to more from you, Ms. McKenna!

Van B said...

This quiet mix is rock solid from top to bottom. I particularly enjoyed Superwoman and Hitchhiker's Smile (her voice reminds me of Blossom Dearie). Firefall sure does take me right back to middle school--not in a good way--but what a great little piece of pop.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Nice aptly named mix Beth. Thanks for bringing back Steve Miller to my consciousness. He was one of those guys all my high school buddies loved but was a little too pop for me. I was so much older then…

I love that instant feeling of summer whenever I hear Brazilian music and your intro set the stage for a wistful longing for long, warm days ahead.