Friday, May 9, 2014

Tonight Will Be an Open Mic

Date
May 9, 2014

Miracler
Kelly Niland

Location
San Francisco

I've actually had this mix ready since last summer, but thought it classy to let other people kick off Season 6 instead. Though, hmmm, maybe bragging about being classy cuts through the class a little? Oh well—baby steps.

Nice things you guys said about I'll Buy You a Star:
Here's the best reason to be part of this group: A song that I'd never heard before, by an artist I'd barely heard of, instantly goes into the FAVES folder. Eleanor Friedberger's "Rosevelt Island" is downright hypnotic.  /   Lordy Lord, Kelly. This is the most seamless mix The Prodge has yet produced. I'm sure that Stephen is sick of it by now, but I'm enjoying it immensely.  /   I love this whole mix, Kelly. Everything goes together, and the level of Damn Goodness is constant.  /   Kelly, this is an outstanding mix start to finish. I particularly like the opening cut and the one by Girls. And Cee Lo never fails to impress. Nicely done.  /   I love all the whistling, especially the Alexander tune. Good stuff lady!  /   I'm starting to really like Fitz, thanks to you and your relentless name dropping of them.  /   This is my kinda mix, lady. Love it! Some familiar faces and plenty of new things to love.  /   Very fresh, light and airy! Lovely mix for this January day.   /   Just like I thought Kelly, this is mix is rocking. Didn't mind CeeLo's version at all --it brings back memories of yore, when soul artists tackled country songs. Bring it on! Agree with Tim re: Friedberger. Instant love! Thanks Kelly for the first discovery of the year.  /   Xtina's comment, "Ah horns" -- I wanna second that emotion. The world needs more trumpets.  /   This mix has made for a sweet and moody early rainy morning indulgence. It's carried me on many fruitful tangents. (and purchased MP3's, yay!) LOVE the quirk factor as you know I would. Alexander, Girls, Ce lo, pas/Cal highlights but all 5 star. Masterful!!  /   The perfect mid-tempo head nodder, Kelly. And as much as I try, I can't dislike that CeeLo version, or the Alexander track.   /   I was doing the usual this-and-that on the computer when I started listening to this mix. The very first track came on, and I had to STOP what I was doing and just LISTEN. Excellent!  /   Love it, as expected. Kelly never disappoints!  /   I always love a Hostess mix; this one's been on "repeat" through a sleep-in truncated morning and early afternoon around the house. Doug's "seamless" and Fritz's "lush" are spot-on. Bart Davenport, Alexander and Pas/Cal went straight to "favorites"; and the CeeLo version works really well for me!  /   This mix has been really quite charming over the course of the week!   /  I love it more and more. 

Liner Notes, AKA If we were sitting on a couch together and I talked over the whole mix, I’d say:

M79 – Vampire Weekend
My fave album of 2013 was by these guys, though this track's not on that. That boy is a genius and that album is a perfect rock opera that shouldn’t be broken.

Crash Years — New Pornographers
iTunes says I’ve listened to this song 454 times. But that doesn’t count portable devices. Or all the David Letterman viewings on YouTube. Also, thanks, Jack Niland, for the initial intro to these guys.

Harry Truman – Chicago
One afternoon last year, I’m sitting at my desk minding my own biz, definitely not thinking about this song, when THIS SONG pops into my head, all the lyrics intact, from its 30-year slumber in the brain recesses where the Wells Fargo passwords should be. Also, I count this as my Kinks track of the mix.

Out of Time – The Rolling Stones
Miracler Jeanne-Marie Greiner was reading this Mick Jagger bio and got to the part about this song and commented, ‘Everyone makes fun of Taylor Swift for sending direct messages to boys through songs, but it’s totally okay when the Stones do it?’ So, I'll count this as my Taylor Swift track of the mix.

My Amigo – Terry Allen
I only own one album (Lubbock on Everything) by this guy because I’m afraid the others can't also be perfect. Do you ever do that?

Nancy from Now On – Father John Misty
Did Howard Hughes really break things?

Forget It – Blood Orange
A friend on Facebook was lamenting that she'd recently disgusted her teenage daughter by not recognizing Blood Orange's bass player on their plane. Now this will never happen to you. Thanks, Miracler Laura Compton, for the intro.

I Think Ur A Contra – Vampire Weekend
These guys again? There’s no rule about this! Besides, I tried to replace it but this is necessary mortar. You'll see.

We Will Become Silhouettes – The Postal Service
This appeared on a Season 1 mix, but a different version. This one’s more Season 6.

You Belong to Me – Carla Bruni
You think she still lets that French ex-prez touch her? Me neither.

Artwork by Christopher Bettig.

Mix is UPTo comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

22 comments:

sircvs said...

I can see your office and hear the "puig puig" as you CRANK that NP tune to high heaven! Then head toward the candy bar (the bar you've constructed in your house just for sweets) and break off a double piece!

Tim Carroll said...

Chicago? Whenever I hear a Chicago song I can't help but think of of the "She blew Chicago" / "The city?" schtick from Larry David's Clear History – a great joke that overwhelms an otherwise comme ci comme ça TV movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH11hkV8tQU

***

Really great guy, that Terry Allen! Both a visual artist and songwriter.

http://www.gallerypauleanglim.com/Gallery_Paule_Anglim/Allen.html

ST said...

My excitement doubled as soon as I opened the email and read the title :)

GregC said...

This could've been called, "I love that song" but alas, I think that name was alread used. Fave so far, "Out of Time". Thanks, Kel.

Doug said...

I always thought that was a Harry Nilsson song...

Unknown said...

Yes, yes and HELL YES! This is totally the mix that I want you to play while we sit and gossip over a glass of wine. I too love the Vampire Weekend (and props for throwing convention to the wind with the double dose!) and the New Pornographers track added to the perfection of the Mix intro. I'm embarrassed to say that Laura Compton's daughter would be utterly horrifed, but I've never heard of Blood Orange. But now I'm totally in! I also really dug that Carla Bruni Moon River-esque version of You Belong to Me. I'm taking you up on that promise of a couch-side reading of these notes!

Wes said...


Kelly, because of your recommendation, the Vampire Weekend record made my favorite list from 2013 as well. It’s a great, great record. I really like this track too. You’re right, that boy is a genius. The New Pornographers cut is wonderful too. I could listen to Neko sing all day long. I loved early Chicago. I saw their show at Elliot Hall at Purdue and it was fantastic. They were so inventive in the early years. I struggle so much with the Stones. I can’t get past the fact that Keith is so obtuse, but this is a great track. I’ve even been listening to Sticky Fingers again to try to reconnect. I absolutely love the Terry Allen cut. He’s completely new to me. So, Father John Misty. Every song I hear by him I like and each time I try to go back and like Fleet Foxes. It’s a struggle, but I swear, I keep trying. And another great track from Vampire Weekend. Absolutely infectious. I’m an unapologetic fan of The Postal Service. A great band and such great songs. Now to Carla Bruni. I listened to this song on repeat for probably longer than is healthy. Absolutely wonderful. Kelly, you are a goddess. Thank you for a wonderful mix and for all you do for the prodge.

Anonymous said...

In a crowded high stakes bar, this one has the elbows and attitude to get heard. First reaction Kelly is that this is clever, cleave stuff; somehow working with a range of styles to get the mood just so, and the pace nipping at your ankles without over-doing it (can you do that?!). Really enjoying it.

Paul Rhodes

Unknown said...

I can't believe that you were sitting on this mix for all this time.
How fun! I love that you have two V. Weekend songs in one mix. The hostess does as she pleases, she's in charge and doesn't need clearance.

I never in a million years would have guessed that was Chicago singing "Harry Truman" You had to have spent time with that LP, KSN.

I have to also add that I love the cover art here too. It made me look up the artist. It reminded me somehow of our hostess's childhood bedroom, or maybe of a 4H project.

fritz said...

I liked the very consistent feel through this mix even as the styles diverged so that each track supports the whole without getting repetitive.

Standouts for me we Terry Allen, Father John, and Carla Bruni. The Postal Service even won me over even though it was pushing up against my "twee vocals" boundary.

Anonymous said...

The Postal Service, Vampire Weekend, and New Pornographers all on one mix? Gold. Solid Gold!!

Gioia said...

Ok, so I haven't heard it yet, but I can say with quite a bit of confidence that I will like it. Perhaps even love, and that's not too strong a word. Thank you, Mix Mistress and all around superb human being.

Steven, please correct my grammar now.

xx

Doug said...

A very tight mix, Hostess. Thank you! So...

Love both Vampire Weekend songs. And that Harry Nilsson I mean Chicago track. Neko and the NPs can do no wrong. Stones! Ah – this is only the second Terry Allen song I've ever heard.

Father John Misty. Didn't he used to be in a supergroup?

Stephen said...

You could guess which one of these is my kind of favorite and you'd probably take some time before you got the right one. Of course I love the NP and the RS —as well as the Terry Allen — but I really like the ephemeral wispiness of "I think ur a Contra" a whole lot. And it's kind of a strange move for a Vampire Weekend song. I always associate them with the pop hook of "Oxford Comma" so this comes out of left field for me. I also dig the cover — are you some kind of designer? Another great mix from the Hostess with the Mostest! XO

Beth said...

1) Unabashed fan of early Chicago here (that said, if I hear "It's Hard For Me to Say I'm Sorry"-era Chicago I want to cut a bitch). I never realized "Harry Truman" was a Chicago tune, though I was vaguely familiar with the song. It sounds like a cross between an 1980's sitcom theme and a Randy Newman song -- neither of which is a bad thing, mind you.
2) I love the Carla Bruni song! What a surprise (I guess I expected dismal Europop). I especially love the way the instruments sound on this recording.
3) With utmost respect to our wonderful Mix Mistress, I have tried with Vampire Weekend and it just doesn't speak to me. I kind of hear hints of Queen/ELO wonderfulness in there, but for me somehow it doesn't coalesce in the end. Maybe I need to listen more passively and see how it grows on me.
Anywhoo, great mix! Thanks Kelly!

Mark Ulriksen said...

Hostess Dearest, spent all day yesterday listening to this over and over and over. Girl, you do know what's going on.

I've always loved the Stones Out of TIme. I'm agnostic on Vampire Weekend, Quickly tired of their debut LP save for Walcott but I should give them more attention. Not familiar with Postal Service or Blood Orange but around the third or forth play I had to stop everything and start dancing. And the only Terry Allen I know is a great illustrator back east. Thanks for these newbies. Loved the Carla Bruni send-off. So nicely produced.

xtina said...

This mix came just in time for these gorgeous weekends. Really putting some pep in my step! Kelly: solid as a rock n roll superstar, as ever! And, naturally, loving the cover art, Hostess. ;)

Melissa said...

I have been meaning to check out Vampire Weekend for...I don't know, three years...six years? But somehow other bands and songs always captured my attention, and I never got around to it. Is there such a thing as too much music in the world? No, perish THAT ridiculous thought. Anyway, thanks for the double Vampire Weekend dose; I always knew I would like them.

Unknown said...

I'd heard of Vampire Weekend, but couldn't say I knew any of their music until this mix. Think they're going to be in heavy rotation on the music server soon.
I've just discovered Blood Orange, but "Forget it" was new to me. I doubt I recognize any member of the band, either. I'm a huge fan of the New Pornographers. I really like Silver Jenny Dollar from that record, too. Also really liked the Postal Service track. A nice eclectic mix filled with stuff I haven't heard but want to hear more of.

Danny Lee said...

Harry Truman takes me back to a good feeling -- Chicago VIII was one of the first albums I ever bought. Crash Years has such a great hook. Blood Orange confirms that you have a knack for introducing me to awesome high-register male vocalists (like that guy in Destroyer) and yeah, I'm pretty certain nothing by Terry Allen will ever top My Amigo. I wonder if Terry agrees? Thanks, Hostess, for everything you do!

Gioia said...

Really nice mix. Different from your other ones. A little more moody and evocative perhaps? The Postal Service and Father John Misty were among my favorites and happy new discoveries! The Carla Bruni tune is loverly. I need more of her in my life. Thank you my dear!

Van B said...

The Carla Bruni track is the shockingly delightful, unexpected treat for me in this great mix. Love it all, but other particular highlights for me are M79 and Harry Truman.