Friday, December 11, 2015

Intro to Sinatra 100 (Please pretend I posted this first)

Date
December 11, 2015

Miracler
Nick Dedina

Location
San Francisco

I'm a terrible admin
The most recent proof: Just realizing I'd neglected to lead off this whole Miracle of Miracles series with these fabulous notes from ND, the guy behind this whole special Sinatra treat. To quote Mr. Brown when he fired me from that 1982 summer job at Brown's Dairy: 'The good news is, you'll never make it as a waitress!' Now I can add project manager to the pile. Big apologies for this reckless oversight, though. This is good stuff and deserved to be the first thing shot out of the surprise cannon this week. So please pretend it was, k? Thanks, XOK.

Notes from ND
When I was a little kid they had the American bicentennial. We came back to the U.S.A. right in the middle of it – there was a freedom train and a lot of flags on bags of Wonder bread. it meant nothing to me, people.

Now, it’s The Sinatra Centennial… now, that is something to celebrate!!!!

Since you are all educated people I am sure you have some key Sinatra selections  in your collection. So, you won’t find the brilliant cuts from Wee Small Hours, Songs For Swingin’ Lovers, Come Fly With Me, Only The  Lonely, A Swingin’ Affair, Sinatra-Jobim, Where Are You, and so many others, on here. So, I envision all of you like a tuxedoed Alec Baldwin incredulously asking Tina Fey if she thinks he is a farmer. You are not farmers.

With the exception of most tracks on one collection almost all of these cuts are rarities, bootlegs and live cuts.

Why is Sinatra special?

1.   He introduced standards to popular music – Gershwin reputation was in tatters, Cole Porter was for rarified Broadway crowds, Rodgers & Hart were too sophisticated for mass audiences --  Sinatra introduced them to pop music – and collected what we now think of as The  Great American songbook. Everyone, from Louis Armstrong to Billie Holiday started recording these songs after Sinatra cut them. These became standards and jazz musicians usually interpreted these songs through Frank’s interpretations. Most of them originally sounded like light opera. He had good instincts – he improvised on harmony, changed/added lyrics, re-ordered song structure and tempos.  Composers such as Richard Rodgers and Jerome Kern hated him for the changes; others, such as Johnny Mercer, Cole Porter and Cy Coleman updated their official compositions to reflect his changes.

2.   As a newcomer, he idolized Bing Crosby, Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong but he strove to do something completely different than all of them. After Lady Day gave him her blessing, he got hipper and jazzier – he didn’t want to sound like anybody else. Take apart the peerless Lady Day and the now underrated Bing and each have more in common with King Louis than differences. Sinatra stripped everything away for a new sound and then slowly brought those things back in over time. He was a jazz vocalist not tied to the blues (something he shared with Ella Fitzgerald and very few others).

3.   He was the first male torch singer – most of his ballads were written for women. Louis and Bing were above care and strife; Frankie was in the shit.

4.   He considered himself an artist. A compromised artist but still an artist. He would do novelty tunes and act in movies but his album recordings were considered of lasting value. His collaborators were important. He was often an asshole but treated his fellow musicians and peers very well. The concept album is born, and perfected, here.

5.   Quincy Jones sums it up very nicely – there are great “music” singers and great interpreters of lyrics. Sinatra was the perfect marriage of both of those things. Check out the unreleased Rhodes keyboard version of “Sweet Lorraine” – his voice was halfway shot to hell and yet his musical instincts were still high enough to make it the best version of the song.

6.  He kept evolving. Other vocalists changed when their voices aged. Like Miles Davis and John Coltrane, Sinatra kept experimenting and evolving through his 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. The evolution of his musical style over about 20 key years is like listening to the Beatles, from start to finish, chronologically. There are five CDs in this collection…he sounds different on all of them. There are different versions of the same song that I put on these CDs for a reason: “Sweet Lorraine” to “Blue Skies” to “The Moon Is Yellow” to “Night and Day” – they keep getting turned over and redefined.

7.   He integrated his bands, the musician’s union, film sets and offices. And, not just with African American artists. Females were banned in the recording studio orchestra before Frank put Eleanor Slatkin in the first cello spot. The same goes for the bassist Ralph Peña, born in Mexico. When Billie Holiday lost her cabaret card (and ability to perform in most clubs), Sinatra publically ripped up his own card, saying the bans unfairly targeted black artists. The arranger Sy Oliver (one of the creators of the Swing Era sound) said he never had any problem getting work – he had problems getting paid fairly and getting public recognition. Sinatra paid him double and openly acknowledged his charts – turning him into a bandleader in the process.

8.  The degrees of emotional nuance in his songs are right on the money. Other people do “happy” or “sad.” Sinatra does, “this feeling of happiness makes me melancholy while this other time it made me feel on top of the world.” One song might have a subtext about being alone, another might be about being alone in a crowd. It’s the human experience, Baby!

Again, these are NOT Sinatra’s greatest recordings of songs or his key tracks, or whatever. It’s an alternative portrait of the artist's career aimed directly at an Elite Crowd (ie – you).

Cheers and Happy Sinatra 100!


(No mix for this post, but a new one's coming up later today.) 

6 comments:

Paulrhodes16 said...

So much to thank you for Nick. Never having grown up with Sinatra and lazily thrown him into the 'popular so not for me'box. This will be competing with the Christmas miracle mixes. An education no less. Mr Dedina (perhaps a New Year honour for this knight of the realm or panto dame) will salute you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have to admit I kind of groaned when I saw the Sinatra Centennial was coming up. I didn't watch the show, and even turned of Ira when I heard him talking about him. I feel like Sinatra is in my blood and yet, I o.d.ed on him, sometime in the mid 90's, after I saw him, kind of like Nick Cave, dare I compare the two.

Still I chose to dance to "Summer Wind" with my dad at my wedding... Frank always reminded me a bit of my dad after all. So of course I love Frank, but I just haven't wanted to hear his brassy bombastic self for a long time.

How little I knew...

I didn't realize how much the Nelson Riddle Orchestra had defined Frank for me. How his voice in the war years held the sound of a much younger and more open man, more frank, with less chairman. How the the other side of Frank that I knew, and loved to laugh at / or with, the 70's - 80's Frank, now has a vintage girth that is substantial in a way I would not have expected thirty years later. We are all older now... isn't it rich, aren't we a pair? Brings an unexpected lump in my throat.

Thank you Nick for this unexpected early Christmas gift. It is the gift I never would have thought I wanted, and it is more bountiful than I could have imagined.

ST said...

One of my favorite things about a box set like this is getting to listen to back-to-back recordings of performances separated by decades, comparing the maturity of the voice, the interpretive choices made in the vocals, the arrangements, and the recording quality (and the recordings’ qualities!). It's one of my favorite ways to listen to an artist's extensive oeuvre, if it exists as Sinatra's does, and it’s extra-nice (for me!) when someone else has done the hard work of assembly.

This set also provided the concentrated opportunity to sit back and reconsider my relationship to Sinatra's recordings. I've described some of the 1950s recordings in previous prodge comments as "part of my canon". It's true. I grew up listening to "Wee Small Hours," "Songs For Swingin’ Lovers," and "Come Fly With Me," in particular, and all of the standard Sinatra praise regarding phrasing and the voice-as-instrument crept into my consciousness pretty early. I went back and studied more LPs when I was performing jazz, new ears attuned to small choices made to great effect.

Listening now in this cycle has made me realize that much of that canonical education was outside of the vocal performance. It came just as much in learning about song structure, arrangement, recording, the interplay of performer and orchestra, how lyrics are written in the songbook sense, the difference between Sondheim and Hammerstein, etc.

I think I’ve also figured out that my favorite Frank is the later DGAF Frank. Young Frank doesn't sound like a person I'd particularly like and sets me a little on edge; old Frank makes me feel safe in the knowledge that he doesn't care about me at all.

That being-set-on-edge by the voice: Until this set of listens, I hadn't realized the extent to which that was the case. I was listening to the war years collection and got to the version of "Yes Indeed!" recorded with Sy Oliver (a pretty dead-on cover arrangement of the Dorsey version), and I actually felt my body relax a bit when Sy took the first verse, the open, round tone of his voice contrasting with the oblong flat tone of Frank's. (I think that's another reason I like old Frank a little better - he doesn't drift flat nearly as much as young Frank, or maybe just learned to manage it more effectively).

I ultimately find I appreciate Sinatra most as an academic topic (cf. points 1-8 on the prodge introductory notes for this set) and least as entertainment. There's nothing in these five discs that moves me and gives me chills like Nancy Wilson's rendition of "Our Day Will Come" that Mark Ulriksen shared with us earlier this year. And I GET IT: that rendition probably would not have existed without Sinatra, just based on a butterfly-effect argument. Sinatra is a giant butterfly in the ecosystem of pop music. And to be clear, all of what I’ve written here is only within the context of Sinatra. I have lots of time to listen to Sinatra, but it consistently drifts to analytical listening and not visceral enjoyment.

This set of playlists is a real labor of curatorial love. Thank you. They’re lovely mixes and much appreciated. They'll keep spinning for me for quite a while. I'll let you know if/when I have a breakthrough. :)

sb said...

Thank you for the informative notes here!
I am not a great appreciator of Sinatra, but I very much appreciate the context you provide — particularly about his fealty to music and artistry above race. And I didn't realize that his work actually resurrected some of the composers and lyricists of earlier decades; I just believed those guys were always popular.

Van B said...

Jeanne-Marie described all of this as bountiful, and that is the perfect word for this collection of mixes. All of these rarities together give such a great window into a man we've all heard countless times. Thank you--this is a real gift.