My new favorite mix (at least until next week). I'm gonna guess that Nick got a lot of play in college through the magic of his mix tapes. I can never get enough of Esther Phillips version of "Home Is Where the Hatred Is".
Unless I'm mistaken "Take It Easy My Brother Charlie" is Jorge Ben not Jorge Gil (who is also great).
Wow. A seamless wonder! Except for that last song – the live version of Ween covering "Ace of Spades." Oh wait… that’s just the next song in my iTunes library after Marble Lions. So the mix is perfect after all.
Thanks Nick! I can recall awakening to this fine world of musicality around the fine year of 1973 when, on a vacation in Palm Springs, Calif., I heard an extremely polished and beautiful hotel cover band play "Midnight at the Oasis" - the only song I remember from that summer - to which this mix somehow brings me back.
For reasons I can't explain, your opening track fills me with endorphin-like waves of goodwill. I'm suspecting that "My Brother Charlie" is Brazilian street-speak for illicit substances that can reproduce this effect. If I am correct, I would like to meet someone who can introduce me to "My Brother Charlie" as I would like to "take it easy" with "him".
And I love the cover - I think I might have dated that woman in the blue bathing suit - needless to say, it did not end well. Cheers Nick!
7 comments:
Dear Paul Weller,
Just: Thanks.
Love, Kelly
My new favorite mix (at least until next week). I'm gonna guess that Nick got a lot of play in college through the magic of his mix tapes. I can never get enough of Esther Phillips version of "Home Is Where the Hatred Is".
Unless I'm mistaken "Take It Easy My Brother Charlie" is Jorge Ben not Jorge Gil (who is also great).
Ooops a correction to my correction: I meant "Gilberto Gil (who is also great)." I assume Jorge Gil is a conflation of Jorge Ben and Gilberto Gil.
Wow. A seamless wonder! Except for that last song – the live version of Ween covering "Ace of Spades." Oh wait… that’s just the next song in my iTunes library after Marble Lions. So the mix is perfect after all.
Really, really marvelous.
And I thought that I was the only one who liked Sebastien Tellier (I saw him open for Air)! Your mix is like having Christmas in my ears!
Thanks Nick! I can recall awakening to this fine world of musicality around the fine year of 1973 when, on a vacation in Palm Springs, Calif., I heard an extremely polished and beautiful hotel cover band play "Midnight at the Oasis" - the only song I remember from that summer - to which this mix somehow brings me back.
For reasons I can't explain, your opening track fills me with endorphin-like waves of goodwill. I'm suspecting that "My Brother Charlie" is Brazilian street-speak for illicit substances that can reproduce this effect. If I am correct, I would like to meet someone who can introduce me to "My Brother Charlie" as I would like to "take it easy" with "him".
And I love the cover - I think I might have dated that woman in the blue bathing suit - needless to say, it did not end well. Cheers Nick!
Post a Comment