Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Miracle Run

Date
September 19, 2012

Miracler
Sarah Compton

Location
Olympia, WA

Talk about a Plus-One
Not only does this week bring us our first Miracler Sibling (Welcome, SC!), but like her sister Laura Compton, another Washington Compton who digs a solid mix theme. Turns out Lil Sis is an avid runner, who has dispatched her artists on a mission to get us on our Miracling feet and moving down the road. And as a marathon runner, she oughta know what works. This will be a good test for Your Hostess who, within minutes of receipt, gobbled down that Ritter Sport Cornflakes bar, licked the crumbs off the desk, then took a nap just to dream about Ritter Sport Cornflakes bars. Now that the mix is in heavy rotation at Pop Miracle HQ, it's safe to say: if this thing don't do it, twon't nuthin. 

PLAYLIST


1. HoursTycho Dive

2. Rocket Goldfrapp

3. Good Feeling (Bingo Players Remix) —Flo Rida

4. LisztomaniaPhoenix

5. Lay Your Cards Out (feat. Mike Noyce)POLICA
6. TalamakToro Y Moi

7. Midnight CityM83

8. Lights (Bassnectar Remix)Ellie Goulding
9. We Are Young (A.R. Remix)DJ Space'c

10. Shake It OutFlorence & The Machine Ceremonials (Deluxe Edition)

11. The Edge of GloryLady GaGa

Liner Notes by SC
So...I didn't have any sort of trouble thinking of my favorite running songs. I'm what one might term an "obsessed runner", and being a bit of a music fan, the perfect playlist for running is a must. This mix was extracted from a five hour long playlist I created before I ran my first marathon in June, Seattle Rock & Roll. I whittled it down to 2 hours, then the final cut to 49 minutes (hope that's close enough). My criteria for a good running song involves any number of things, but it's usually comes down to the basics. Does it make me happy? Does it make me want to go faster? If a run sucks, does it motivate me to keep pushing through it? Some of the tracks on here (Flo Rida, for example), I probably would never listen to otherwise, but they're perfect running music.

I've gotten to enjoy everyone else's mixes for years thanks to my lovely sis, Laura Compton, so coming up with my first Miracle mix was a daunting task. So I hope y'all enjoy it, even if you're not a runner. Maybe it will inspire you to start!

Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.

See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

18 comments:

fritz said...

Second Miracler sibling surely?

3 Minute Pop Miracle Project said...

Whoa! Okay, that's it: no Miracle writing before coffee. Sorry, Eifrig Bros! You deserve better.

XOK

toria said...

Oooh, i haven't listened yet, but I'm looking forward to this mix. while I would describe myself as a "lazy and sporadic runner,"Ii like songs that groove at the same pace as my feet. My secret treadmill favorite is Justin Timberlake's What Goes Around. Shh, don't tell anyone! Thanks for the mix, Sarah!

Doug said...

Okay, so I've kinda promised myself to Christina Stork, but do you ever get down to the Bay Area?

Great mix, Sarah. Thanks. Why has it taken so long for "Midnight City" to show up on these pages? Our relationship may have hit a speed bump with Florence + The Machine, however. She's a little Arcade Fire for me – always swinging for the fences. Not every song has to be the last song on the album, know what I mean?

Love,
Doug

Jeanne-Marie said...

Digging the miracle run!! I need this kind of stuff for miracle gardening or even cooking dinner... Thank you Sarah!

Also, let it be known that "The edge of glory" was the first Lady G song I ever enjoyed, though I thought it was Madonna until I looked at the track list.

Your mix is sure to get a lot of play over here in Chi-town.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear people are digging it! Doug- I do get to the Bay Area once in a great while ; ), definitely not often enough! I get what you mean EXACTLY about Florence + - I can't handle large doses of her, but a light sprinkling always makes for a good mix I say.

3 Minute Pop Miracle Project said...

Sarah, this mix is really fun, even just for digesting Ritter Sport Cornflakes bars. By the way, it was extra-thoughtful that you called your sis to inquire about my choco-preferences. You're the best Miracling sibling so far in the group! Ha ha, Karl, that's a funny joke. (Your chocolate was excellent too.)

XOK

fritz said...

I really liked the Tycho Drive track although it mostly inspired me to readjust the pillows on the couch not go running (to be fair, nothing besides imminent bodily harm is going to overcome my natural indolence).

Like Mr. Kortiz' Pulsations, during a lot of this mix I felt a bit like Philip Seymour Hoffman in the club scene in '25th Hour' but it's good to get hipped to what's out there now.

ST said...

Wow, Super summer september sparkle shimmer. Excites my natural frequencies like I'm the Tacoma Narrows bridge but without the catastrophic results. Thank you thank you.

ST said...

Oops, I guess it's the last day of summer. My bad, My bad :)

Laura said...

What do you mean? In the Bay Area, summer's just getting started! Lots of great days to road-test this mix await. Thanks, Sarah!!

ST said...

Santa Fe takes its equinox very seriously.

Wes said...

This is such a perfect mix for running. Not that I was doing any running, but I still enjoyed the pace and rhythm of the mix. I tend not to run unless it's away from something, like an angry wild animal.

Thanks Sarah.

Kevin Seidel said...

I can't believe that Phoenix song has never graced these parts before. Overall, I just like how all over this is. I did indeed put it through the run test. I even made it through Lady G before realizing, "oh my god, I'm enjoying Lady Ga Ga."

Anonymous said...

Gee, thanks everybody! I enjoy having a good mix of different songs on my playlists, which is why I adore this group so.

xtina said...

I woke up today with 'Lay your cards out' in my head. I've been enjoying the heck out of that song as part of my Summer Collection and, although I know repeat songs are rare in the Prodge, I'm glad it was this one.

This mix always makes me feel like it's 10:30pm and I'm in college and getting ready to go out. I definitely can parallel that to a running mix, ya know? Get. Pumped. UP!

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on you with my main man DP. A little healthy competition always keeps things lively.

Rock on for miles. 26.21875 of them.

Van B said...

This mix could also be called "Songs My Daughters Sing All the Time." I think I learned every word to "We Are Young" without ever actually hearing the song. My personal favorites are POLICA and Florence.

xtina said...

This mix RULES at work! (I don't think you have to work at a knitting shop to think so, even. But maybe it helps.)

Anyway, I'm at work and Ellie Goulding is on and I was inspired to run* upstairs and fist pump and say (again) Thanks, Sarah!

*yeah, run. See? This mix works!