September 26, 2012
Miracler
Kevin Seidel
Location
San Francisco
If we've learned anything about Miracler KS over the years,
it's that a Seidel mix will likely garner a plethora of comments from the gang. Is it because he's a writer or because he's a musician or because he's kind of a graphic designer, too, but he seems to have all the stuff that go into making a pop-u-lar mix. Why, just last year, he gave us the 23-commenter A Short Story, about which you/we said,
BEST PRODGE COMMENT MAYBE EVER: 'Kevin Seidel could upload a Del Taco receipt and I'd listen to it. The man can do no wrong.' 'I love this package! The notes, the vivid characters (the Japanese whore stole my heart), the suspenseful flow, and of course the way it got me dancing.' 'There really isn't one song on this that I don't dig, but here's the thing—it really works as a mix for me. Thanks for the short story!' 'Totally fun, Kevin. ANd what made it even more special was the seamless transition to the next song in my iTunes library—Nan Vernon singing 'Moon River.' Thanks!' 'There is another short story in which a man sits alone for two days in a Brazilian hotel room on the outskirts of the city and listens to this collection of select songs over and over again until he finally can accept what the world has done to him and what he has done to the world. Then he showers, shaves, pickups up his case, and takes a taxi downtown.' 'Tito Puente and Mike Patton back-to-back. Fantastic.' 'Even before downloading the music, I have to say the story outlined is intriguing and the cover are is beautiful.' 'You can feel the story unfolding through the mix. and some fast-faves here for me: almost all of them got thrown into the 'greatest hits' playlist over here.' 'You had me with the liner notes...they totally made me excited to dive in, you clever thang.' 'Deep deep down oh yeah! Highly cinematic satisfactions—thanks!' 'Quite the cosmopolitan mix! The Fahey was a nice twist.' 'A great mix and absolutely perfect liner notes.' 'I really loved your last mix 'Exile' and this shows another side of Seidel. It really works and hangs together—thanks.' 'Wow! I love this! The story AND the songs. Love it! Love it!' 'Totally genius mix, Kevin. Eclectic like the best of 'em, and you just gotta lover the subyacent narrative. I keep playing this again and again, and every time there's something else that makes me smile, like Steinski's intro, or Mike Patton's camp moment, or those liner notes! Thank you!'
Other Miracle mixes, all concept-driven and commented-on by many, like Exile in Mainstream and Downside and Upside and Songs in the Key of PCH and bonus Definitive Collection MIx: Grant-Lee Phillips and Solos and Supergroups: A Double Album, have passed through this URL in the past, but my fingers are too tired to tell you how much you liked em. Go see for yourself.
And then we'll move on to today. Never one to toss us a treasure chest without a key to open it, here are KS's liner notes.
HOME SICK
Meat Puppets: Intro – It inevitably starts with a fever
Midnight Oil: Only the Strong – An underrated band with an opening line about being locked in your room. Apropos.
White Denim: I Can Tell – “…I can tell by your talking…you’re not right.”
Al Hirt: Green Hornet – Go ahead, switch on the TV.
Harry Nilsson: Me and My Arrow – from his animated movie The Point! which is perfect TV viewing when laid up in bed.
The Soledad Brothers: Shaky Puddin’ – My Mom believed pudding had medicinal properties. Thanks Mom.
Sherwood Schwartz & George Wyle: Gilligan’s Island – need I say more?
Man or Astroman?: Television Fission – By now, you’ve watched so much TV, your eyes hurt.
The Heavenly States: Never Be Alright – I just rediscovered this band. The song fits.
Liam Lynch: United States of Whatever – Sorry. This stuff is funny when you're sick.
Walter Schumann: Dragnet – Just the facts, ma’am.
Willie Bobo: Fried Neck Bones and Some Home Fries – Why not? You’ve already had pudding.
Vic Chesnutt: Speed Racer – I don’t know the connection between Speed Racer and being an atheist. I do know I watched a lot of it when I was sick, and otherwise, as a kid.
Hugo Montenegro & His Orchestra: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - So many great themes from these guys.
Visqueen: Hand Me Down – I have no clever reason why this song fits in this mix, but it's good.
I Am Kloot: To the Brink - “This stuff strips the life from your bones.”
Villagers: The Pact (I’ll Be Your Fever) – Let's hope you feel better tomorrow.
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
XOK

13 comments:
Starts out great and, man, just keeps getting better. Yep.
Just looking at this track list makes me smile!!
Meat Puppets! Vic Chestnutt! Harry Nilsson! Willie Bobo!
Sick? Mom knows you're faking it. Off to school now.
Groovy, Kevin. Thanks. Hugh Montenegro kills it. Always wanted to be Illya Kuryakin. (Good band name.) Now, on to the real stuff...
Lovin' Viqueen, I Am Kloot, Willi Bobo, The Heavenly States, The Soledad Brothers, White Denim. And it takes us 5 years to get Me and My Arrow on a mix? C'mon, people!
Now, back to the fake stuff...
Liam Lynch!!! Gawd I love that song.
Lovin' Visqueen even more!
A very fun mix! I especially enjoyed the Soledad Bros., Willie Bobo, and Visqueen tracks. No need to apologize for the Liam Lynch-- made me chuckle all the way through.
What a great mix. I felt better by the end of it and I'm not even sick. Maybe it's because I preempted any possibly illness with lots and lots of pudding. I agree with Kevin's mom, it's absolutely medicinal. So good to see Villagers make it on the mix.
Thanks.
It's great to hear Midnight Oil again. I'm loving White Denim, Liam Lynch and I Am Kloot. Fun mix, I feel better already!
This mix also works great for "Home, with Sick Kids" and just "Home". Al Hirt is awesome. Television Fission is incredible. Other favorites: Nilsson, The Heavenly States, Visqueen, I Am Kloot. Thanks.
This mix plays out like the soundtrack from a 12 or 13 year's fako sick day. Super energetic and blasting at first, clearly this day is unsupervised. But then the guilt - that Vic Chesnutt song bares the woeful truth. After all there's only a an hour or so left to the real school day, and that math test that she skipped out on is waiting for her the very next day. But she rebounds with Visqueen and gains greater insight with "To the Brink". It's gonna be just fine tomorrow.
What a productive home sick day!
In the adult world some companies legitimately offer them as "mental health days"
Excellent Mix Kevin!
ST of course digging this mix for the last two weeks. Lots of treasures from all over the spectrum. Esp. digging the closing quintet.
First reminded me of my own sick days.
Then reminded me of Ferris Bueller grooving to the I-Dream-of-Jeannie theme on his "sick" day.
Then, I remembered, there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmarWHlKTQ
Dim memory: when I was in high school, a local UHF channel was apparently the only TV station in the country running "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." My school's library was deluged with mail from fans asking for volunteers to record episodes and mail them off.
Excellent addition to the KS oeuvre. I hope you're feeling better.
Lots of very fun stuff here. Many thanks for Midnight Oil. United States of Whatever is the only Prodge song so far (in my first season) that my 12- and 14-year-old kids have asked me to play again. Including songs on my own forthcoming mix.
I always thought the Midnight Oil singer looked kind of like the guy from the original The Hills Have Eyes movie. He creeps me out, but I still dig Midnight Oil. Thanks for the fun-loving mix with a heaping scoop of TV soundtracks. Liam Lynch makes me smile too.
Post a Comment