Date#1 – The only record my Dad owned that I wanted to hear again and again, which led me to the Beatles and Beach Boys. Not exactly obscure, but I was 5.
#2 – The first new record I ever bought. So “different.” Still is.
#3 – In junior high, I ventured to Tower Records to buy a record by this band I’d heard about. They had a two-part name, were pretty heavy, and had this kick-ass, shirtless singer. I was looking for Van Halen, but I discovered Led Zeppelin.
#4 – One of the many things Bowie taught me was the importance of sidemen–like Mick Ronson here.
#5 – I fell hard for the new southern rock, which led me down the kudzu path for some time.
#6 – The perfect college band: gender bending, druggy, and experimental.
#7 – This band sent me into brooding singer/songwriter mode for year, though I had yet to learn the guitar.
#8 – Grating, pounding, and oddly melodic. Nirvana planted my ears in the 206 area code for too many years.
#9 – The antithesis, or perhaps antidote to, the Seattle scene, this band reopened my ears to nuance.
#10 – Los Lobos actually led me to this record, which led me to the work of Tchad Blake and Mitchell Froom, and the importance of production.
#11 – Helped me discover the real “alt country” pioneers the Bryds, Flying Burrito Bros, Gram parsons, etc.
#12 – I know it’s cliché, but I’ll take whatever these guys hand out.
#13 – This band is the synthesis of all these influences, cuz it’s mine.
15 comments:
I have come to know that Mr. Seidel never misses!
This one jumps quickly to regular rotation.
Love me some Gates o' Steel any time, any where!
Grant Lee Buffalo is new to me and I really enjoyed this track quite a bit.
I liked the not so obvious choices exhibited throughout the mix-- well curated, sir!
You were steered well in Tower Records, whenever that was (imo).
This is a great topic and great mix. Somehow, you managed to find the perfect song from each band and — and! — ones that somehow I don't know or have forgotten or alternate versions (that REM version of Swan is nice).
The Grant Lee Buffalo sounds so great to me for some reason right now.
Nice to see American Music Club, those Latin America Club stalwarts from the old SF daze....
A true pleasure.
Whoa. A Led Zeppelin song I didn't know! Had to look this one up on Wikipedia. It's from 1982's "Coda" album -- the one Zep album I don't have. "We're Gonna Groove" was something they'd been playing live since 1970, and it almost made its way onto "Led Zeppelin II." Written by Ben E. King, so it's got cred. Live and learn. Thanks, man!
Jeanne-Marie said it well - Mr. Seidel never misses.
Great theme, wonderful execution. What could have been a mundane greatest-hits collection was made so personal.
Where can I get more Recliner?
I knew a mix w/ all these mainstream bands was a bit risky with this crowd. I don't know about "never misses." Too kind. Maybe I'll ask our supreme hostess to share the latest Recliner w/ you (if that's not too promotional). There's some tidbits at reclinertheband.com too. Thanks for your comments.
Kevin, you had me at ELO. Although I've never heard the song before. Funny—Jeff Lynne sounds like Freddie Mercury on this one. Love Devo, but why Gates of Steel? Never got into Jane's Addiction—perhaps because I'm shallow. I'm with Mr Carroll on the Zep track—don't own Coda, never heard the song. Was listening to Summerteeth last weekend, and marveling at what a great band Wilco is. But I sure do miss Jay Bennett.
Doug, my reasoning for Gates of Steel was that it was a perfect mix of their "new wave" future and punk rock past. That was my reasoning anyway. And as sad as he was on his own, Jay Bennett (and perhaps Jim O'Rourke) made Wilco's earlier stuff so great. They don't seem to have the same melodic soul anymore.
This collection is so much fun. I loved Swan Swan H when it came out and I still have my vinyl copy of Athens, Georgia: Inside Out. I really need to pull that back out.
Nice choice with Fuzzy. That's easily my favorite Grant Lee Buffalo song.
Pure pop for me, Kevin. ELO I've never heard is a particularly fine treat. Love the Spooky Grant Lee, the Recliner song has a beautiful, Lou Reedy slow burn and even though I'm not a big Wilco fan, this one's terrific.
Devo will always reign supreme in their own weird musical universe. Dig the mix, and like a couple other commenters, complete with a new-to-my-ears Zeppelin tune. I'm impressed with how well Recliner flows with these heavy-hitters — a gutsy move, a damn fine song on it's own, and a nice way to wrap up your mix. Thanks.
Nice rockin' mix with some not-as-well known tunes (at least by me) by fairly known artists.
I was officially sick of Led Zeppelin for life by the time is was in high school (they were the first 4-5 albums I bought). Yet I've never heard the song in this mix. It's pretty good.
Great mix, great theme, great artwork! Loved the title pun also --sucker for puns, me.
There's a lot that has been said here I have to concur with. Led Zep's "...Groove" was a total find, I also had never listened to Coda before (my collection stops at Graffiti). Although I did know the song: Manfred Mann, '64. Not a bad one miraclers, look it up! Ok, maybe I'll include it on a mix one day...
Thanks for sharing Kevin!
what great comments. Thanks all.
ELO Waterfall. I just found my replacement song for "Sister Christian" (which will make many people happy because Night Ranger was getting a little taxing for some of them). Thanks!
Post a Comment