Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The 3 R's - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Date
August 31, 2011

Miracler
Sam Koritz

Location
Albany, CA

Stuff about Sam
Never one to shy away from bringing totally new-to-us genres into the Prodge, in Oct. '09 this man brought us Swingy, which produced such swoons as "Oh, it's so, very good. Just beautiful," "Thanks, Sam, I love it all," "Nicely done, Koritz. You're some kind of big shot," and "Fab mix. Unexpected, kinda, but I've kinda come to expect that from you. Thanks for zagging!"

Then in Sept. '08 our prophetic Miracler produced a paen to our prez-to-be, Long Shot Dreams to Remember, which Your Hostess' upstairs neighbors would tell you Your Hostess has enjoyed many, many times. Comments from that one included, "Thanks for a fabulous mix. It makes me ache to go vote for the Black Messiah," "We gave it a spin on the office airwaves yesterday and it received a warm reception, even from the Palin supporters," and "What an incredible mix! I love it from start to finish, especially the liner notes."

Today Sam does what Sam does best: mess with our mind while running rampant through several musical genres. The Upstairs Neighbors will soon be tapping their feet to this one as well.

Notes from Sam

(1) "System," Crass. Any urban 40-something has to recognize Crass, if only for the amazing marketing logo: part cross, part swastika, part peace symbol. Used to adorn crusties. Apparently, like everyone else, they were confused. If interested, check out David Berger's 'Story of Crass.' De facto leader Penny Rimbaud now seems to regret the band's pacifism. Formerly young front-man Steve Ignorant now seems to regret the band's politics. He toured to SF this year with an otherwise Crass-free band playing all Crass songs & advertised here as Crass. I pretty much ignored them in the old days except for thinking that 'Do They Owe Us a Living' was funny. Maybe it was intentionally funny. This song, System, has lines that seem intentionally funny: "What've they got? F*ck all? NO!
What've they got? A swimming pool? Where do you get it?
Follow the rules! System, system, system." But it's hard to say.
Only in last few years, w/ Pandora, have I begun
to enjoy their *music* & unique untutored groove.


(2) "Do They Owe Us a Living?," Jeffrey Lewis. From an all-Crass covers album, on Rough Trade, from a few years ago: This is how you should cover songs: differently. I saw Mushroom playing The Who a while back & whatever else you say about it, it was interesting to hear a California folk-rocker sing the songs of a Brit inspired by Cali folk-rock.
(3) Swingle Singers, "Prelude #11....." There really was someone in this French band named Swingle. I worked at a record store on Polk St for years & stumbled on this, & The Double Six of Paris, their similar predecessor (produced by Quincy Jones in the early '60s). A few months back I'm listening to Jem's "They" & think "that seems Swingle Singer influenced." I added "They" to this mix & then went looking for a good Swingle Singers song & came up w/ this one. Bach keyboard music played swinging jazz vocals style. For more French Bach jazz check out pianist Jacques Loussier.

(4) The Shins, "Girl Inform Me." The Shins have a lot of pretty good songs. This one is like a lost great Beach Boys track so when I realized it hadn't been 3mpmp'ed yet I had to add it. There's a great pop song in there that some crap singer has to exploit someday, putting the lyrics way out front: This new confection has left me wondering why I can't concern myself with ordinary trite. Like what's this morning's paper got to say, and which brand of coffee to make, this is no umbrella to take into the wind, but before we begin, is there nothing to cure this anxiety?

(5) "Psalms 9 to Keep in Mind," Tommy McCook & Bobby Ellis. There was an explosion of musical inspiration in Jamaica in the '60s & '70s & a lot of it came from the Alpha Boys School. Here are ABS alumni TM (tenor sax) & BE (trumpet) as friends of Niney. McCook released an album called Jazz Jamaica in the early '60s w/ members of what then became The Skatalites.

(6) "Full Charge," Jackie Mittoo & The Soul Vendors. I almost put a cover of a Jackie Mittoo song in this mix but then I realized I already had this great original -- I love the percussion, the flute, & of course the jazz piano. Mittoo was a founding member of Skatalites & Wikipedia says he played on Alton Ellis's "I'm Still in Love with You." I think I got this album from Fritz. Thanks, man.

(7) "Blood & Fire," Niney the Observer. Catchy.

(8) Augustus Pablo, "Every Dub I Own." A catchy minimalist pop song despite a bad note or two. Which one of you pop mavens can identify the original song? King Tubby on knobs.

(9) "Middle East," Skatalites. This is mid-'70s King Tubby-produced reunited Skatalites dub album. Tommy McCook on sax. Starts off w/ "Give Peace a Chance." Dub w/ acoustic bass & Niyabinghi hand drums. Yes!

(10) "They," Jem. My last 3mpmp mix also included a Jem song ("Save Me"). Not just *inspired* by Swingle Singers it turns out.

(11) "Behold Dis Ya Dub of Class," Tommy McCook & The Aggrovators. I would've made the whole mix like this but that wouldn't have been as pop.

(12) "I'm Still in Love with You," Alton Ellis. I started this mix with songs from my "Beam Sound" Pandora station. I recognized Beam Sound as "Uptown Top Ranking." Googling it I learned that both songs & many more started w/ this Alton Ellis song. The "ISiLwY" rhythm tracks were overdubbed for a later version, & dozens of samples & versions grew from there. Here's a partial list.

(13) "Beam Sound," Roland Alphonso. Original member of Skatalites & Soul Vendors.

(14) "The Russians Are Coming (Take Five)," Val Bennett. Brubeck's "Take 5" is the only pop hit in 5/4 time. Val Bennett adjusts it to the standard 4/4. Someone had to do it.

(15) "Uptown Top Ranking," Donna & Althea. This duo of teen girls hit #1 on the UK charts in '78 with this song. "See me pon the road I hear you call out to me. True you see mi inna pants and ting. See mi in a 'alter back. Sey mi gi' you heart attack. Gimme likkle bass, make me wine up me waist. Uptown Top Ranking....Love is all I bring inna me khaki suit and ting. Nah pop no style, a strictly roots."

Mix is up. Listen and comment. And then comment on others. Cuz that's the deal. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page.
Until next week,
XOK

26 comments:

alix said...

Sam Sam Sam.....I haven't even listened yet (downloading) but SWINGY is actually playing on my hi-fi right now! This bodes well. One of my all time fave "mellow-but-hip" mixes. Looking forward to hearing today's too!

Sam Koritz said...

Thanks Alix,

Oh yeah: warning: LANGUAGE.

The 1st 2 songs are NSFCE (Not Suitable For Children's Ears)!

Kelly Niland said...

To your trivia question—I heard the 'Everything I Own' tune seeping out of Track 8 even before seeing the song title. But then, I'm a major closet (til now) Bread fan...

Tim Carroll said...

That "Prelude" a cappella piece is a charmer, and it goes so nicely with the Shins' follow-uppper. Then we get another great fit with the Shins going into "Psalms 9." Smoooooove!

Never heard "Full Charge." It reminds me a bit of Quincy Jones' infectious "Soul Bossa Nova." (With Roland Kirk on flute, right?)

Thanks for the mix, Sam. Especially all the choice Jamaican stuff. (Melodica!) So, what record store did you work at? I lived at California and Hyde for years and years.

ceni said...

Thank you Sam. I can't get that Jeffrey Lewis song out of my head now. Of course they fucking do!

sb said...

Crass - distilled goodness
Some really great dub styley to enjoy as well - I particularly like Blood and Fire. Great mix!

Sam K. said...

Thanks, all.

Tim, I first crashed at the Cable Car Hotel right by there when I arrived in SF & lived at Sacto & Larkin for a few years thereafter but this is prob before your time -- late-'80s. The store was Bay Area Records & Tapes (BART -- get it?). They had 3 stores on Polk w/in a block of California. For a while they had 2 stores at the same time, with a lot of overlapping product, which is not a genius move.

:)

Fritz said...

Crass and 'Blood & Fire'... takes me back to freshman year and my various indoctrinations at the hands of sundry Marxist or anarcho-syndicalist upperclassmen.

Nice picks across the board on the JA stuff. That Mittoo album is a gas for sure!

Love the Jeffrey Lewis version.

Tim Carroll said...

Sam-- I dropped a lot of coin at BART throughout the 90s -- I was guessing that was where you worked. Rooks and Becords (at both Polk locations) was always catch-as-catch-can, though I did forage there also.

Man, I miss record stores! As a hippy high schooler, I frequented Rather Ripped in Berkeley before the FBI shut them down for peddling bootlegs. Spiders From Mars in the plain white sleeve, please.

In the early 80s I never got into Crass. It/they seemed like a cruder Green Album Clash grafted onto an über-düber-disaffected Fall -- two bands I really, really dug back then. That confession aside, I LOVE the Crass cover you put in this mix. Brushes on snares and Mule Train backbeats always work. Of course they do!

Weirdly I never thought about The Shins sounding so much like The Beach Boys. Thanks for that connection.

Sam K. said...

Kelly, you are a pop maven-esse, & out of the Bread closet now.....

Tim, we must have crossed paths many times. One of the things I missed in my half-year away, thinking about leaving the Bay Area, was seeing people I'd seen for years without meeting.

Fritz, 'anarcho-syndicalist' always reminds me of the monty python annoying peasant sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA

Doug said...

Full Charge—YES!!!

More later...

Ray said...

another stellar mix, sam. such naughty language at the beginning. jackie mittoo makes me wanna go watch car wash a dozen times for some reason. niney is awesome, 'cause i likey the jams.

Gioia said...

very enjoyable ride. Much appreciated. Thank you, Sam!

Sam K. said...

Ray, the flute on this Jackie Mittoo reminds me of Austen Powers.

Tim Carroll said...

Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova" was the Austin Powers song. It's been used in a few other movies, including Lumet's The Pawnbroker. And that's the amazing 5000 Pound Man, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, on flute.

Here's a video of Kirk playing three saxes -- sometimes simultaneously -- with a bit of recorder and slide whistle thrown in for good measure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJf1IK_9d9o&feature=related

sircvs said...

thing about that take five version- they do the figure in 8 beats rather than 5, just kinda hanging out in the middle for 3 extra beats, like you do in hot climates.

Doug said...

Really lovin' this mix, Sam. Thanks. And that Take Five cover is just the right combination of odd and euphonious. Unlike this:

http://tinyurl.com/3n6flpe

ST said...

Wow, Sam, fantastic. I'd always wondered as well about the Jem single; now I know and will go chasing Swingle Singers tracks. Excellently curated, much appreciated.

Sam K. said...

Tim,

Great minds....

All: thanks!

Kelly: Thanks, again!

Sam K. said...

Tim, I just noticed that Swingle Singers recorded Soul Bossa Nova. It's all connected....

pepe verde said...

Sam, your mix is a killer --interesting, entertaining, formative and fun! Loved the jazz-ska connexion, particularly "Take Five" and "Psalms 9 to Keep in Mind". Was also blown away by the Swingle Singers, thanks for sharing that!

About "Every Dub I Own", I've read that Bread recorded it first, but for me it'll always be Ken Boothe's song. Must be cuz I'm an anglophile --or just because I always was a bit of a mod.

Then I'm with Tim, I never made the connection between The Shins and The Beach Boys --now it seems so obvious!

And last but not least, thanks also for the study on the "I'm Still In Love" riddim. Always had a thing going for "Uptown Top Ranking", but learning about all those "cousins" was quite a trip.

Danny Lee said...

Sam, this is some great riddim. Always great to hear Take 5 in any iteration. The Alton Ellis is so fundamental. Love the pleading vocal style. Also into the Swingles, who I heard a lot as a kid (my mom loved them). Nice work!

peter b said...

Yes! More instrumentals please, dub or otherwise. Such a finely-crafted and tightly-focused mix. Love the kooky simplicity of 'Every Dub I Own'. I've heard great stuff from all miraclers, but this has to be one of my favorites.

John R said...

A Ska cover of "Take Five"? I approve.

xtina said...

I was just grooving on the Jem/Donna & Althea trax on this mix (for some reason my iTunes puts them back to back. I have yet to figure out how to amend, but it works for me). Anyhoo, I decided to come back here and see what other comments were left after mine, only to find that mine never posted. Yikes! Sorry to both Sam and Kelly (obvs). At this point I have no idea what I wrote, but I'm sure it had to do with the freakout I had initially over the dubstylee radness of this mix, in particular the aforementioned Donna & Althea track, which ended up on repeat. When I was at work, even. My coworkers didn't complain, nor did customers. Why? Cause it's *gooooood*! No pop no style, indeed.

sarah e said...

OMG, WTF, OMG, and then wash, rinse, and repeat. The Shins break it up a little, but it is like listening to one long likable song. Genius.