DateAugust 10, 2011
Miracler
Van Biesel
Location
Atlanta
Stuff/Things about V. Biesel
You know him from his The White Mix: Songs for Moving Very Quickly Down a Snowy Mountainside back in 1/10. But I've known him since the beginning of time (mid 80's) and he's a solid citizen and super-solid Miracler. Check out what he's brought us today.
Notes from VB
I have been living in an RV for the last six months with my wife and daughters as we explore North America.
Needless to say, such an experience is one of emotional extremes, and, thankfully, most often pure joy. This mix is not so much a soundtrack of the trip as just a collection of songs that have made me happy along the way.
The cover art
The cover art
This is the photo from our trip that just keeps on giving. We encountered this camel along the Columbia River in Washington state. Whenever they see it, our daughters squeal with repulsion, delight, horror, and joy.
The songs
Ice Cream - Battles: This is off the latest record from Battles, and everything about this song makes me happy.
Well... All Right - Buddy Holly: Can it be possible that this is the first Buddy Holly song posted to 3MPM? What?!
Mornin' Glory - Glen Campbell and Bobbie Gentry: I love this Gentry tune. Only Bobbie Gentry could make waking up and having breakfast together sound so sexy. And, did you know there is a hot water spring in Yellowstone named Morning Glory? Yep.
Gotta Keep Movin' - MC5: I could say this is a great road song, but really, I just like to imagine how much coke MC5 must have snorted right before laying this one down.
Blackpowder - Jucifer: Not even remotely a pop song, but it brings me joy to spread a little Jucifer around.
The Puppet - Echo & the Bunnymen: This song ran continually in my head while we were in Seward, Alaska, although the refrain was, "I was the puffin, I was the puffin."
April Fool - Manchester Orchestra: These fellow Atlantans may be the most derivative rock band I've heard since Wolfmother, but, man, can they write a killer hook.
C Is For Cookie - Cookie Monster: I think this was my first pop song, ever. The day this song was recorded, tidal waves of joy must have propagated outward from NYC. This is the first of three short songs which constitute a little 1.5MPM interlude, if you will.
Kyle Quit - Tenacious D: Jack Black, often irritating and always juvenile, but this is a great song. To me, it's like a 90 second version of
Thunder Road, except with no point, and for twelve-year-olds.
Car Radio - Spoon: I love that they somehow crammed a sparse break into the middle of this song.
Bulldog Skin - Guided By Voices: This song should be called, "Ode to the Guitar Riff."
Mexican Standoff - Elbow: I know Elbow is already overplayed on 3MPM, but I had to include this song because of all the times I catch myself happily, obliviously clapping along, often to the confusion and dismay of my children.
I'm Not Stupid - Cat's Eyes: I was hoping to introduce Cat's Eyes to 3MPM, but was beaten to the punch a couple of mixes ago. But, so what, this band is so cool they deserve a second round.
Kiss Your Man Goodbye - Everly Brothers: Joy!
XOK
Oh, and if you're wondering what you missed on
our members-only Facebook page this week, go there and check it out. Not a lot of Miracler office work getting done this week, evidently.
12 comments:
I like this mix. A lot.
Buddy Holly to Bobby Gentry to MC5 -- Holy Guacamole! Lots of good stuff and that GREAT Everly Brothers "Two Yanks in England" closer. (The idea that it was The Hollies helping out as session musicians is a pretty credible one, judging by the sound.) Loving this 100%. Keep on truckin', Winnegago Man.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! <-- my exultant joy for this mix. A great song to start it off! Enough silliness in the middle to hold it all together... and Elbow! This will move me up the mountain to Yosemite tomorrow (figuratively and literally).
Can you believe this??? I should be ashamed of myself. I already had "Ice Cream" by Battles (through a free download off RCRDLBL.com I think), but I obviously never listened to it with much attention --only now I realised that the lyrics are in Spanish! Tsk, tsk.
Thank you for waking me up :)
I knew I'd like this mix as soon as I saw the cover. And I was right
This is a great mix, Van. I don't think it could be more appropriately titled. By the way, I feel the same way about Tenacious D. It's for 12 year olds, but I liked the entire record. And by the way, I think every Guided By Voices song could be called "Ode to the Guitar Riff" and that makes me love them. Nicely done.
I like all the ground this mix covers. From the eternally youthful Buddy Holly to the new-to-my-ears Elbow (another new heavy-rotaion song for me), this set hits the spot through and through. Thanks.
Best cover photo too.
Ok, a little late in my commenting:
Well, jeez, that's a title for an album!
The Battles made me smile and sway.
Always been a sucker for that particular Buddy Holly.
Fuckin' Echo and the Bunnymen! I will admit that the 80s remain my musical soft spot.
Elbow — emotive seething.
Spoon is in my tiny canon. Always good to hear.
I miss Cookie Monster — and the other muppets — who were actually insane. He's crazy for cookies! Like really crazy! Where has that whiff of danger gone?
Van - the Cat's Eyes floored me - beautiful. Into the Glen Campbell too. Sad to know his current state. Always appreciate a little Detroit love in the mix. Thanks!
nice mix! Glen Campbell made my morning. Thank you!
I put the B Gentry/G Campbell duet album on last week, what a recording voice she has. I left Glen on the shelf for years, having explored his catalog 20 years ago in a combined fascination/guilty-pleasure/contempt-of-schmaltz study. It's great to see him back again.
Post a Comment