Date
Welcome, friends, to my bonus mix. No theme this week—just another batch of happy sounding songs chosen by a morose guy for your late summer listening pleasure. Ending with, as all proper mixes should, baritone guitar and French horn.
Heart of Steel — Galactic
Lovesick — Lindstrøm & Christabelle
My Baby Cried All Night Long — The Ettes
No Help Coming — Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs
How Can You Luv Me — Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Fancy — Bobbie Gentry
Turn Around — The Beau Brummels
Sally Go ‘Round the Roses — The Jaynetts
Bumper — Cults
Jardin du Luxembourg — The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger
Vocal Chords — Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Sick and Tired — Johnny Jenkins
Le Fleurs — Minnie Riperton
The Lonely Surfer — Jack Nitzsche
About Part II of your summer twofer: Yacht Rock
Ironic? Sincere? Whichever you decide, I think you’ll find the crossfades make for very smooth sailing. Enjoy it with a fat California Chardonnay and an ex-spouse (or two).
Theme from Hill Street Blues — Mike Post
I’m Not Moving (Idjuts Re-edit) — Phil Collins
Out of Touch — Hall & Oates
Josephine — Chris Rea
Sweet Freedom — Michael McDonald
Peg — Steely Dan
What a Fool Believes — The Doobie Brothers
Ride Like The Wind — Christopher Cross
Too Young — Phoenix
Looking for Clues — Robert Palmer
New Frontier — Donal Fagen
In Love with You — The Paradise
Georgy Porgy — Toto
Please Don’t Go — KC & The Sunshine Band
34 comments:
Okay, so I'm gonna comment before even downloading, *because* I am so stoked! This week I've been on a full-on Doug Patterson bender (yes, I have a Doug Patterson playlist, I am a dork). I am seriously freaking out with anticipation. Can't wait for post download/listen comment mania!
Is that the same Donal Fagen who was in Steely O'Dan?
I'm actually friends with Donald Fagen, Fritz. On what you might call a part-of-his-first-name basis.
Oops. Did I do that or did you?
No folc, I prefer the first set. But I respect your chutzpah on the second. Do you actually own those albums?
Really digging the Ettes, UMC, Cults and Nitzsche (that's how I feel out in the water too). You're one hip dude Mr. Patterson.
I always get Girl by NKOTB ( Joey Mac) and Please Don't Go by KC mixed up. I know, confusing stuff. I prefer the young Joey Mac over the old, bloated KC.
And remember, "Let's be careful out there."
With all due respect to the other fine mixes of late, No Folc Music is it.
Didn't realize you were the Yachting Type, but a tip of the hat on that, too. I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure no one notices my head bouncing.
Wow, two great mixes! I'd forgotten how much I loved Steely Dan and KC & The Sunshine Band. Fantastic!
I am so SO excited about Yacht music!!!!!!!!!!
Haven't even listened to it all yet!
and I love it!
wishing though that it was not a one track opus....
I love it love it love it though..
Kelly—my fault. Kevin—I own Aja and Donald Fagen's The Nightfly, but that's it. I'm willing to defend, however, everything on Yacht Rock except for the Chris Cross, Toto and Mike Post tracks. Not telling whether I listen to it ironically or sincerely, though. But John G's right—it's hard to keep your head from bouncing.
If I were you, Doug, I'd trademark Yacht Rock as soon as possible -- and that awesome cover, too.
I'm also thoroughly enjoying your first mix and can't wait to share with the Mr.
Is that Peter Frampton coming alive on that yacht wheel-thingy?
Saw KC and The Sunshine Band about 15 years ago. The Sunshine Band was a tape recorder, a synth, and two back-up singers. KC sweated heavily, so much so that his designer jeans turned a shade darker -- in the crotch. That image haunts me still.
Mighty considerate of you to equip The Death Ship with a lifesaver, Doug. Actually, No Folc Music is a tasty mix. Love the Shangrilas feeling of that Cults song. "Le Fleurs" is beautiful. Hearing Minnie sing something other than "Lovin' You" is a treat.
Smooth crossfading aside, I do wish the Robert Palmer number was somehow detachable from the lovely fondue goo of the hour-long whole. That's one I'd listen to on purpose. It's got good chug. Donald Fagen's works too. Dig me some Steely Dan -- just not any of the songs with Michael McDonald on them. Whenever "Peg" comes on the radio that Dan Savage-promoted NSFW neolgism "pegging" comes to mind. Ouch.
Yes to all the Michael McDonald.
and that KC story is so disturbing, dark crotch and all.
that was me by the way...
i remember listening to Aja on 8 track when I was a kid. That is all.
Yacht rock!? I would never admit to listening to that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go do something for the next 55:31.
Also, you should be aware of this: http://channel101.com/shows/view.php?media_id=3331
There are 12 episodes...
Great call on the Beau Brummels! Excellent version of 'Sally Go Round...' (although ? and the Mysterians take remains my favorite)-- such an odd song.
Loved the Ettes and Cult tracks! Much fun in those certainly. And I'm most happy to add Mr. Jenkins' version of 'Sick & Tired' to the various others in my library.
I'm afraid I have to avoid the Yacht Rock due to the very real and present danger of Christopher Cross induced flashbacks-- the neighbors don't need to see me naked, sweaty, bugeyed and climbing the walls.
I'm not one to quibble (I'm one to flat-out tell you you're wrong), but my guts tell me that Starbuck's Moonlight Feels Right should be a Yacht Rock staple.
On another note, you are a very handsome and talented man. It irks me.
Thanks for the double-dose: two awesome pieces of cover art (including chest hair), and two fine mixes. I agree with Jeanne-Marie in wishing the Yacht wasn't one giant opus. On No Folc, that Cults song is time-warping good.
Ah, but Peter—the Yacht Rock mix only works if you listen to it as one long ooze. But all a Miracler has to do is request a discreet song from it, and it shall be theirs. I believe that Mr. Tim Carroll is first in line with "Looking for Clues." Hostess—how do we make this happen?
Uh.......
Beau Brummels don't count as Folk, or folk-influenced? Or is folc like Donal?
the yacht rock mix is all in collapsed mono. I'm going to rewire everyone's stereo before 2012.
True, CVS. But I found that ridiculous album cover and had to do something with it. Hence, "No Folc Music." So let's call The Beau Brummels country-rock.
Our stereo's in the den. I'll leave my keys under the doormat.
Update- I got wasted on Saturday and the night ended with your mix on my hefty hifi on front of me. I went in and out of consciousness, but I distinctly remember saying, "doug patterson" and possibly thinking "the black like me guy"
reputation.com might be erasing this, so feel free to print it out.
Chris, I'm screen-dumping your comment for posterity.
Holy sh*t Doug --I've been too busy to sit down and do the Miracle lately... and now I'm listening to your mix and I'm speechless. This is just great!
Amazing from start to finish (and what a start! Galactic alright!!) but then quite eclectic at that --I mean, Lindstrøm followed by the Ettes? You're my kinda fella! Also thank you so much for Unknown Mortal Orchestra, hadn't a clue about them but that's so up my alley.
And, I can't wait to play Part II in the family car. Classy and classic! Double thanks, señor.
But the question remains unanswered: is that the Frampton?
Answer is...Peter Frampton!
Right on.
There was much of what I expected —and enjoyed!— in the boat that Frampton rode, but Phoenix's "Too Young" was by far the most lethal depth charge in there. Long time no see! Gosh how I enjoyed the OST for "Lost in Translation" when it came out —almost more than the movie itself. Thanks!
We had been talking about having a Yacht Rock party all summer and then you go and make this party perfect mix.
No Folc is rockin' my world too, but I'm still in a Chardonnay-induced stupor....I'll have to comment again later.
okay, I'm feeling a little fan-boy-fervor about DP. I promise I'm not gonna go all stalker or Single White Female or Glenn Close on you or anything ... but Yacht Rock just came up again on the old shuffle (I'm not even listening to my special Doug Patterson playlist). There's just so much special stuff there. TeeVee theme songs are my new guilty pleasure. Thanks for the inspiration, Doug!
Can I make No Folc Music the sound track to the movie about my life where I make up a more exciting teenage existence involving a bug city, multiple love relationships and a tad bit of danger with a wink in the eye? ? Especially like the Cults and Dale Earnhart Jr. Jr.
Doug, love the mix and I have hit repeat on the Unknown Mortal Orchestra song more times than I am willing to admit!
Tachy Cork (Yacht Rock) is back on my player.
Post a Comment