DateHe once bought Lydia Lunch (opening for James White and the Blacks) a drink at the Hong Kong Café after a sound check. She actually engaged him in conversation while she drank it. Little did he realize it would be the high point of his life.
Doug is from Orange County, California. He has never been to Alabama.
Show of hands—who loved Anthony McGrath’s “Can You Handle It?” contribution from 2009? Me too. I thought it was time for another heapin’ helpin’. Because it’s ridiculously great music. That, and I figured if you’d really wanted to hear something from the new Fleet Foxes album, you’d probably already bought it.
“Black Like Me” is straight-up soul—old school (even the new stuff) and phase-shifted-free. If you find it pleasant to the earholes, allow me to direct you to www.funky16corners.com, a frequently updated blog with all sorts of crap to download. And if you don’t enjoy it, be thankful that I didn’t submit my other mix, “Songs with Michael McDonald Singing Backup.”
Pair it with cleaning the house, or listen to it at damaging volume while driving your car. As they say in Muscle Shoals, “Dig on it.” They also say, “Wake me up when that new Fleet Foxes album is over. Best nap I ever had.”
22 comments:
oh my god I love you Doug Patterson.
Sock it to me - ugh. I'm only 4 deep (and in the groove, mind you), and digging it.
And SO glad you didn't spoil my upcoming bonus Fleet Foxes neo-folk explosion mix.
Any major dude will tell you: put a hump in your back and shake your sacroiliac! Good for your earholes indeed!
Real tasty schtuff!
(And I'll put in another plug for the funky16corners from this pale Hoosier)
Doug Patterson, you are my kinda guy.
I defy anyone to listen to this mix without booty shakin' or head boppin'. This is one funky ass mix.
THANK YOU
Oh my!!! I only just started listening to this --but looking at the tracklisting I'm excited already. Killer selection of material!
Funnily enough as my due date comes closer I had the dilemma of whether I should stick to pop or should I maybe do a soul mix --you solved my problem right there! Easy, I'll do pop this time, but a soul-duel is in order for future parties! :-)
Many thanks Doug.
Dude, I'm from Pleasanton, of course i'm gonna like this mix. It gives me street cred. Thanks, Doug.
Was there any question that you are the coolest? (and apparently always have been - who has a senior picture like that?!) so why the fleet foxes comment? Ouch!
Your negritude is beyond doubt...
Vanessa darling — personally, I love Fleet Foxes. Why, I was listening to the new album just a day or two ago. It's those folks down in Muscle Shoals who are harshing your mellow with their snarky comment.
Good stuff, Doug. I like the prevalent electric guitars. You know what I'd like to hear? All these tracks without lead vocals. It'd be like The World According to the Meters & Booker T.
Had me on Wikipedia for a good long time. Love Babies Charles and Huey. Love Mary Jane Hooper too. Deep soul/funk bliss, Doug.
sock-it-to-me! sock-it-to-me! uhn! uhn!
This is a straight up companion to your last mix Doug. Who wouldn't dig it?
I am however, ready for that Michael Mc D back up singing mix any time you are man enough to lay it out.
xo to you and the lovely Dena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This had me shakin' it in an awkward white-guy fashion, but shakin' it none-the-less. Dig that Baby Charles track.
Loved it. "Papa Was Too" may be the best lead-in track so far this year.
Where's my powder blue suit and '75 Camaro when I need 'em?
Totally want to cruise and listen to the Baby Huey and Mighty Hannibal tunes over and over!
Somehow I neglected to comment two months back when all this greatness got posted. I especially dig the Joe Tex number, and have been wondering all this long while WHICH Cream song shares that swaggering piano riff of "Papa Was Too."
Think I finally figured it out. Cream apparently borrowed it for "Politician." Joe Tex recorded "Papa Was Too" in early 1968. "Politician" came out on Cream's Goodbye album, recorded in 1969.
http://www.amazon.com/Politician/dp/B001NCOZBY/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1311612010&sr=1-37
Thanks for the mix, Doug. Oh yeah -- "Big Bird" also totally blows my mind.
All jive no turkey - I diggity dig it!
I'm not at all familiar with obscure (obscure to me…) older soul, so this mix has been educational for me. And also quite a treat. Good stuff here.
Ass Badall!
I don't need to consult the track list (not that it's here on the blog!) to remember this was a high energy blast from the past.
Digging the mono too.
I cannot stop listening to this mix, even months later. I've found myself putting "doug patterson" in the search field of my iTunes. true story.
I played this one last night at The Chapel, some lady came up to me, "who is that??"
"Lady, that was SLIM HARPO, groucho's brother, Doug Patterson's cuzzin!!"
Post a Comment