DateMay 25, 2011
Miracler
Arthur Baker
Location
Top of Mount Tamalpais, CA
Stuff about Arthur
He lives, like, on the TOP OF MOUNT TAM. This is one Miracler you want to get to know, SF friends. I just had dinner at his pad and it's something to add to your bucket list: the place, his cooking, the chickens and carp and bees and redwoods and firepit and Arthur's ability to speak effortlessly about every/any topic out there. Not like a not-it-all, just a guy who still loves learning stuff, even on the weekends.
If you haven't been up to the mount in person, you've been experiencing Arthur's magic at lower climes, like Feb. 2009's The Bardo Between, about which Miraclers trilled, "This is a fine, fine mix—reads like a thick, complex novel," "I could listen to that first song all day. In fact, I just did!", "Thanks for a very personal journey. After a break-up, I usually just lose a few pounds and then start dating again," and "Thanks for adding such dimension to the otherwise flatness of the word 'valentine'."
Then there was Nov. '10's Town And Country, garnerer of 16 versions of "Fantastic mix." What will today bring? Click-n-see.
Liner Notes from AB
Given an opportunity to make a bonus mix on the arrival of the Bright Time of the Year, I am taking a cue from a fellow Miracler, the Flaubert quoting, bright mind toting fisherman Monsieur Patterson, who challenged me to get off the heartbreak snide and try my hand at a wholly positive mix. So I chose songs that I thought conveyed in feel and form an unequivocally positive tone and message, and wholly un-ironic. And to try to find songs that are sweet without saccharine drip and warm without melting cheese, not so easy to do in Modern English. And so with a little help from a world beat, and a hand on the New Age throttle, I send out this Ode to the slow arriving Summer, may it be a Bright and Warm one for all and all. Con amizade, Arthur
1) Birds of Southern Woods and Gardens- Arthur A. Allen
Science Nerds Identify Joy.
Science Nerds Identify Joy.
2) Bom Plantador- Palo do Rubinho
The Planter of Good Things, simplicity sung about with simplicidade.
3) I Need a Roof- The Mighty Diamonds
The Irie message brought in Voice and Harmony before their throats became hoarse.
4) Love Your Neighbor- Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Voice as instrument and message in unity.
5) Indian Water Music- Anayampatti s. Dhandapatti
Two brothers from South India keeping a Carnatic tradition alive playing bowls of water.
6) Io Crido Amor- Johannes Ciconia-- Ensemble Project Ars Nova
I Believe in Love 15th Century style - Pure melody perfect playing.
7) The Mountain (demo)-- Heidi Berry
Sun at Midday casting no shadow
8) Long Time Sun- Snataum Kaur
Ok, So maybe the cream is getting a little thick, but the intention is clear as glass.
9) Codex - Radiohead
Innocence coming from a most unexpected source, the afternoon swim.
10) Desejo- Flavia Wenseslaus
The hearts of children full of hope, things more simple then you can imagine, like rain on the veranda.
11) The Art of Love- Laura Nyro
When the Songwriter can Really Sing. Celebrating in song as her day was coming to a close.
12) Shower the People (Live)- James Taylor
How he can sing this live without a trace of treacle is a testament, alliterally.
13) His Eye Is on the Sparrow- Mahalia Jackson
At the end of the day it is all about the soul, yes? Mahalo, Namaste, Amen and Ciao
Mix is up. Don't forget, we've got a new password—it's in your email. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
Until next week,
XOK
14 comments:
Oh my this is amazing.
I love the bookends here. Arthur you make a singular style of mix. They take a while to sink in for me, but I go back to them - Bardo and Town and Co are both favs of last seasons.
Thanks and Thanks and Thanks
Feeling successfully conveyed, sir.
I loved the intro, can I use it for my next DJing session? :-)
Wow. Gorgeous mix, and a just exactly perfect accompaniment to the feel of a cool Chicago morning. Thanks!!
Thank you for this bold and stunning trapeze walk. Simply beautiful from start to finish. Bravo!
Too many good ones to mention but I have to send a shout out in defense of my hommie Snatam. I urge you to explore her other longer Gurmukki stuff in meditation. She is the real deal.
Am I the only one getting a vaguely National vibe from "Codex"? Or is that just because everything gives me a National vibe?
-- kellen
Boa Noite, Hello Friends.
Si Pepe, please use any and all in your musings.
Hi Tobywan, glad you liked it. When we meet in person I will give you the 30 song rough mix, great for driving around in heavy traffic.With the Orchestra Baobob and the forro as well. And Vanessa, I as well love me some Snatum, it is just I live in Marin County and don't know how it all translates for musicophiles elsewhere, you might hear her in a restaurant here. And Ken Bab's wife, you have teased out my narrative proclivity, I am always telling stories, ciao Arthur
Yay! Beautiful mix, Arthur. Loved the flow, especially the first few. Dug the drone in Long Time Sun–a very pretty song. And how you got ANY Radiohead cut to work on a mix titled "One Bright Day" is a miracle itself.
Hi Doug and Kellen, The radiohead to me is either a mystery in minor chords, or an evolution. It is interesting juxtaposed with major chord harmonics, and to play it on big speakers you can hear the mood change like a slice of lemon in the sweet water. In this genremoshing times you can hear a little of everything in everything, but the National comment rings true. I think Thom Yorke these days as the Miltonesque offspring of Brian Eno and Neil Young, with his keening plaintive high tenor singing purgatorial songs of real personal feeling. He may still be planting fake plastic trees with an electronic shovel, but it is next to an increasingly clear and deep lake.
i don't understand about half the words in your post. but i think you agreed with me. so that's good. thanks again for the awesome mix.
-- kellen
The awesome 'Birds of Southern Woods and Gardens' sets an appropriate zen-like tone for the rest of the mix. It left me feeling warm, fuzzy and tranquil. Mucho thanks.
Hi Arthur. What a beautiful mood you've put together! Gorgeous feeling. Three weeks late in getting around to your mix, what with some actual work (huh?) and then a Gulf Coast vacation getting in the way -- so sorry for the late commenting. /// The Indian Water Music is especially nice. /// Don't know if this happened on anyone else's 'pyooter, but my download swapped the title info for the Ladysmith Black Mambazo and The Mighty Diamonds songs. /// Speakin' of, that Ladysmith song is an extra-nice one by them. Lots of space in it. /// Listening to the Mahalia Jackson song (wow!) makes me wish I didn't understand English. Just to bathe in the feelings... and then the dang Christian references break the spell. /// The idea of keeping the eye on the sparrow from Matthew 6:26 seems to be saying "if the little birds can survive, then so can you." Guessin' that's how Sammy Davis Jr. got by: http://21hustle.com/2009/03/fresh-bread-daily-eye-on-the-sparrow/
Doh—Sorry Tim, and gang, bout that mis-type. Didn't know about it but I find it easy to believe, with the typo-rama roll I've been on lately.
I gotta get better with that stuff.
Next week!
XOK
Perfect soundtrack for a lazy, mellow morning. I saw the Birds of Southern Woods and Gardens on tour once. Sadly, they were the opening act for a lawnmower. Still, great show. And a great mix.
Post a Comment