DateJune 1, 2011
Miracler
Vanessa Belli
Location
Brooklyn
You know Vanessa because
1. I've known her since 1989, so to know me is to know her. Or, you know her from other places too. Like here. Or somewhere else.
2. She personally got B.H. Obama elected Prez (Thanks V!) with We Are All In This Together in Sept. '08.
3. Not to be outdone, she outdid herself 2 weeks later with Treasury of Best-Loved Wedding Songs for Now and Always, recipient of, "Another lovely + moody compilation here. Everything runs together like a beautiful sad watercolor painting," and "Thanks for sending out another really beautiful one full of songs I hadn't known."
3. Oh, we're not done here—not even close. For it was V. Belli who kicked off Season 4 for us, with Heaven Right Here, in July '10, which moved Miraclers to log on and type the likes of, "Let me be the first to say Whoot Whoot—loosely translated, that's a shout-out for an anticipated fine mix," "Let me be the second to say FAR-OUT AND FUCKING FANTASTIC," "Is it any wonder the sun is out and the sky is blue in San Franfogsco? Miracles do happen!", "Perfect for summer sunrise and rich flat light on a rainy-season morning between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. So lovely—great picks and beautiful sequencing. Thank you," "Trippy melancholy, summoning shades from my past with every track; regrets and mistakes from 25 years ago coming to a surprising head when Chicago blasts me right back to a countertop at Demon Dogs moping with my basket of cheese fries. Made for an interesting commute—much enjoyment, thanks!", "Your mix arrived just in time to save me from the August doldrums. Will be perfect for a weekend up on the coast, too," "I am loving it. YEAH!", "I love it every bit as much as your first genius mix way back when. Thanks for all!"
Can you tell when we began instituting comments as a price of admission? A fuller experience for all.
XOK
13 comments:
Much here in a plaintive register. Perfect for this rainy ass day. And, once again, I know very little of it. Which is good.
Superwolf: Unabashed sentimental rock and roll that is not bathetic. Me like.
Vetiver: I am often suspicious of strings in my pop but I am rethinking that: sounds great here. An odd, beautiful song.
The Low Anthem, indeed!
Good to hear Lambchop.
Birds of America: nice, sweet, yet cool.
thanks and thanks....
Right Daniel, not bad at all for a rainy day --it sure worked today!
Although I can also totally see myself lying under a tree in the middle of a golden field, on a hot summer afternoon, wisp of grass hanging from my mouth, listening to this mix in my cans.
Damn it, I might just do that.
Kinda charmed by Snowblink. But the name of the song is So Deep, tireless hostess. I'll be back with actual comments once I've worked my way through this opus.
Did the tracks import in a slightly screwy manner for anyone else?
Dang, did the tracks come in out of order? Shoot. I'd tested it on my computer and they were fine, but if yours aren't, please order accordingly, friends.
As for ongoing bad-typing issues, let's blame them on the invisible intern.
Luna Sea—very pretty. And I find that J.P. Shilo song to be quite haunting. It sounds like everything on this mix was recorded at 3 AM. I'm gonna have to try listening to it at that hour, too. Thanks, Vanessa!
Like Doug's comment, all the lights are off and it's so unusually still here right now, save for your mix and it all goes so well in the quiet hours. I especially like Vetiver and Two Gallants, but that's just tonight. Tomorrow might be different
Thanks Vanessa!
It's always a great day when a new Vanessa mix lands ... her previous ones are all in heavy rotation.
RE download difficulties: Yes, my tracks stopped coming in partway through, and I had to add them again, and still phantom ones exist in the list.
Blame me for the snafus. As it turns out, Kelly's rule about getting an actual CD is not just so she's sure to get the goodies along with it.
But I guess I got the weather right. Rain is definitely a good back drop for these soggy tunes.
Its funny how I was thinking about 'home' while putting this together since I've been unsettled for awhile now. I thought my new home, Brooklyn would have played a part but no, this is all SF and through loving albeit melancholy eyes.
This mix makes me feel like I'm at a party in a friend's living room, a wee bit toasty with a group of folks, instruments, and songs. (Maybe the party is at my house, since my landlord's in granfaloon bus?) I love it, firelit and friendly. and, yes, feels like home.
See, include goodies or the mix gets it.
About the mix, I haven't felt this American since, um, since Fritz's last mix I guess.
And it's always nice to be reminded about Gbus
Thanks Vanessa.
:)
I love the mellow, bittersweet feel throughout the whole set. Stand outs for me are songs from Two Gallants and Superwolf (especially when 'My Home Is The Sea' kicks up a notch and gets electrified). Also, 'Wagon Wheel' scratches an itch for some banjo pickin'. Thank you.
A great mix for a twilight drive through Barstow.
I love the way this one opens. No wonder that Superwolf song reminded me of Bonnie Prince Billy! Good, sad stuff here. Thanks Vanessa!
Post a Comment