
DateI tried really hard to come up with a theme: “Songs I’ve Had Car Accidents To. “Tunes I’ve heard while shopping at Michaels” (huge scrapbooker). Ultimately, though, I felt stifled and sonically constipated. Enjoy the lion.
Heart On A String – Candi Staton. Got turned on to Ms. Staton through a long-ago interview with Chrissie Hynde.
Darling Dear – The Jackson 5. Bass mavens consider this to be one of the sweetest bass lines ever recorded. And no wonder, because it’s the great James Jamerson.
Frantic Romantic – The Scientists. Just yer basic punk-pop band outta Perth.
You Can Make Up Your Mind – LMNOP. One man band concocted by a guy named Stephen Fievet, out of Atlanta in the 80’s. Also responsible for the Missing Dog Poster. You finding Ling-Ling's head?
I Don't Wanna Cry – The Keys. What I think of when I think of 3MPMP. Besides Doug Patterson’s school picture.
High Noon – Tex Ritter. Jack Tripper’s dad.
Margaret – The Silos. The lyrics and the sudden slide guitar get me every time.
She Made Me Lose My Blues – Paul Siebel. I almost went with his tune “Louise” but it felt too sad, especially Leo Kottke’s version.
A Fish House Function (For a Cross-Eyed Cat Named Sam) – Emmy Oro. Enough with the pestering. Here’s the Italian rockabilly you wanted.
Dancing With Joey Ramone – Amy Rigby. I saw her open for Warren Zevon and somehow, she was just as entertaining as he was.
Someday Soon – Harlem. I wouldn’t buy the whole album, but this song is really good and now you don’t even have to buy this song.
Run That Body Down – Paul Simon. I’ve been trying to learn the chord progression on guitar. Not going well.
Finding Her – Boz Scaggs. I wonder if Boz would be pissed that he’s part of a themeless mix?
13 comments:
I really, really want to get to this mix and listen to it. But like roughly every other mix in the past few months, it looks like it's going to take multiple attempts to download on my Mac. Anyone else having this problem?
Pop and ballads and jangles and such. Lots of shifts of register.
Some thoughts as I listen:
Frantic Romantic, indeed!
The Keys sound like Elvis C via Nick Lowe to me. Or something.
Love Song for the Dead Che: impressively, understatedly odd.
Always nice hearing Paul Simon — I'm a sucker for his oh-so human melodic sensibilities.
Thanks for the abundance....
Laura,
That's weird. Wish I'd known before now!
I Googled your description. Is the problem that sometimes the mix won't un-zip and you get a 'cpgz' file when you try? If so, that's a Safari bug that can occur randomly. (I use the same zip command when uploading the mixes each week, so there's no reason why it should happen sometimes but not others).
The solution is to use a different browser. Try Firefox: it should work fine there.
Signed,
Wow, I'm a Luddite with a PC-type computer machine, and I never have any problems with 3MPMP. Maybe god looks out for little children, drunks AND dorks...
In any case, Dan, I'm glad you worked through your sonic constipation and put together this slick little mix. Theme, schmeme. Good show.
John is totally right: who needs a theme when you got this selection of tracks? The first single by the Scientists! The U.S. of A.! LMNOP! (now that's obscure...) And behold, 'I don't wanna cry' by The Keys!!! One of my favorite singles of all time. And what about Candi Stanton to open? Nice, sir.
I was also truly entertained by Tex Ritter and Paul Simon. Thanks!!!
I've had this on repeat for a few plays now and I'm totally digging it!
(The Keys song is so good....I'd never heard of it or them, so THANK YOU!) Love the Candi Stanton track too.
I have to tell ya, I have long had an aversion to Boz Scagg because I associated him with that damn Jane Fonda work out album I had in the 80s, so THANK YOU for re-introducing me to the man!!!!
Oh and PS, For what it's worth, I have a macbook pro and I've never had any issues with downloading mixes. Not sure what the issues are! I know it can be frustrating...
The Keys. Yes. 3MPM. Yes.
Thanks, Dan!
Thanks for the sunbathing lion of a mix, Dan. That J5 song is news to me. Loverly Jamerson bass, indeed. /// Ditchin' TV from the late 70s until the shit storm of the first Gulf War sucked me back into the void, I was all "Huh?" about the reference to Tex Ritter's son. Looked up up Jack Tripper in Wikipedia. Now know the gay guy from Slingblade had himself a famous sitcom, once upon a time. "High Noon" sure has some tasty ee-lectric gee-tar, doesn't it? /// Candi Staton is another great introduction. Thanks! /// Dancing with Joey Ramone in a dream is a weirdly touching idea for a song. Miss that dude. Hearing Joey sing "I don't Want to Grow Up" always makes me misty eyed.
LMNOP? Wait—what? Who? I guess I was busy listening to De La Soul in '89. Well, better late than never. Also loving Harlem, The Keys, United States of America (another first hearing—musta been listening to The Monkees then), and so much more. Just bought that old Boz Scaggs album a few weeks ago, and it's great. Thanks, Dan.
Kind of a mix in four lovely chapters, no? Loved it all week. LMNOP, The Keys ("What I think of when I think of 3MPMP" <- spot on), The Scientists... but my favorite is probably "Margaret" which evokes the sadness element of long-term love that I love so. Thanks, thanks, thanks...
Jangly, spangly, cavity-causing pop confection. Love the Keys, Emmy Oro, the Scientists, and more. And the mix title and accompanying cover make me laugh every time. Cheers Dan!
I put this playlist on a CD.
Drove around another city with it.
Left it in the rental car.
Had it returned to me on my next rental in that city.
Must find more Candi Staton recordings.
I didn't want to like the Silos track, but I do.
thanks
Post a Comment