Thursday, August 18, 2011

American Ambulance

Date
August 17, 2011

Miracler
Toby Barlow

Location
Detroit

Seriously. Really?
Wait—there's a perfectly good-ish explanation for why Toby Barlow's been popping up here all over the place of late. One of those weeks was his real turn, one was a solid he did for me when that week's Miracler went missing. And today's is the Bonus Mix that Toby earned when we gave away the dates of Non-Commenting Miraclers 3 months ago. So that's why.

So don't hate the Miracler—love his Miracles. Today's is a tasty cocktail of Julie London, Beastie Boys w/Santigold, Maria Muldauer, Spade featuring an incredible Martha Wainwright, Bing and the Andrews Sisters rubbing elbows with the Arctic Monkeys, and a fierce outfit called Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears. And more. Don't fight the love—lean into it.

Mix is up. Listen and comment. And then comment on others. Cuz that's the deal.

Oh, and if you're not a member of our
members-only Facebook page, you've been missing out on a week or two of Miracle Gold over there. One could fill a few CD's with the stuff our members have been uploading.

Until next week,
XOK

12 comments:

Tim Carroll said...

That cover photo made my day, Toby! Cool that Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears made it into your mix, and Adam Sultan, too. Austinian natural resources, both. That's a great pick off Sultan's Heinous Acts of Love album. Love the boxing match bell. "Mexican Girls" is another favorite off of "Heinous." The Beasties playing with Santigold is so-o-o good on the ears. Wonderin' if Santigold is the B Boys' first female vocal colaborator. ('Least since the "Cookie Puss" days.) Maria Muldauer and Tracy Nelson are a natural fit. "Mama Don't Smoke (too much dope)" is a parental excuse I actually heard back the 70s. Carl Stalling and Bo Grumpus and Julie London are faves. Great minds thinking alike? Grace Potter and The Morning Benders and Spade are new for me -- thanks!

Tim Carroll said...

P.S. "Riot Van" is way timely what with the goings on in England of late.

Tim Carroll said...

D'oh! "Great minds" plural? Or just one old dufussy brain? Just noticed that the Bo Grumpus song and the Adam Sultan one are from my own song collection. Both having "American" in their titles and mysteriously transmigrated into your fine mix. American Ambulance by some weird iTunes glitch. (Strangely enough they fit, too!) Goofiness.

Van said...

Wow. I am only four songs into this mix and I have to say, that Grace Potter song is phenomenal. Loving this mix.

Toby said...

Ah Tim, you had me all paranoid there for a minute! :)

xtina said...

Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears = be glad I don't live in the apartment above you. Feet on fire!

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals = LOVING it, esp the kickoff.

Waiting on a War = a favorite

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit = immediate love. I think my last fave soldier song was 'Weaker Soldier' by Palace. Not quite the same thing.

This mix is great. Bring on the Barlow, that's what I say! Yoo Hoo!

Doug said...

Not one song about ambulances. What a rip-off!

I'm thankful, however, for being introduced to Grace Potter. Also enjoying the new Beasties, Arctic Monkeys, Morning Benders. And I never tire of that Camera Obscura song—great to see it again. Ditto Der Bingle. Thanks, Toby!

pepe verde said...

Hey Toby, no complaints about you giving us so many mixes --you do'em so well, we just want more!
Loved the whole thing, but I especially adored the intro by Julie London, since she was new to me --thanks for the discovery!
Hadn't listened to Camera Obscura for ages, and then after thoroughly enjoying "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" once again, the other day I went to H&M with the wife and they played CO's new album. Nice!
BTW not sure if it's obvious: "Lloyd..." is a response song to Lloyd Cole's "Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken". Gotta love that shit.
Thanks, keep'em comin'! :)

Toby said...

Yes, love that the CO was a response to Lloyd. I was hoping to do a mix of songs that reference other songs, but that would have had to include Sweet Home Alabama and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

Wes Gurley said...

This is great stuff. I saw Black Joe Lewis in Seattle a while back and they were fantastic. I also heard they are going back out on tour.

peter b said...

I appreciate your prolific and eclectic miracler-ness. Thanks.

sarah e said...

I love that Arctic Monkey's song. I listened to your mix this weekend and it "occupied my time as I waiting for traffic to clear out after a "occupy" demonstration. Double win.