
DateNotes from JR
This is a noisy romp across the spectrum of rawk. These aren't my guilty pleasure songs. I'm honored to hear them, proud to share them with you. So head on down to 7-Eleven and hit up Mario for a baggie of skunkweed and pick up some Pabst (or Schlitz if it's on sale) while you're there and head on home to the rec room, crank the stereo and raawwwk out, dude.
1 Roxy Music ~ Out of the Blue
Great musicians rockin' out.
2 Stooges ~ Down on the Street
I saw them play four years ago (with Mike Watt -Minutemen- on bass!). Iggy, aged 60, had more energy -and did more stage dives- than any performer I have ever seen.
3 Black Sabbath ~ Supernaut
Now that you haven't had to deal with metal dunderheads from your high school in a long time, you can finally admit to yourself that these guys were friggin' awesome.
4 Funkadelic ~ Super Stupid
George Clinton himself sang this one. Not knowing the difference between coke and skag isn't just stupid. It's super stupid.
5 James Brown ~ Brother Rap
Like a Shaman.
6 Pere Ubu ~ Can't Believe It
Recorded 35 years ago in Cleveland. Jerry Springer was on the City Council then and would soon become Mayor. Coincidence? Yes.
7 Laibach ~ Get Back
If you're going to cover a song, make it your own.
8 The Jesus and Mary Chain ~ Taste of Cindy
Almost the entire rest of this album has made an appearance on 3mpm.
9 Minutemen ~ Fake Contest
Double Nickels on the Dime is one of the greatest records ever made by anyone. But, um, this song is from an earlier release.
10 Joy Division ~ A Means to an End
Their songs were stripped down and could have passed for heavy metal or rhythm and blues, depending on your mood
11 Jimi Hendrix ~ Are You Experienced
Simultaneously sloppy and perfect. There aren't many Hendrix cover bands out there for the simple reason that this level of musicianship is unattainable by most mortals.
The gif came from this website, which is awesome.
18 comments:
Good God, man, I'm excited about this.
Wow!
I was compelled to write something lewd after reading the liner notes/song list. But, just in case we have some 'sensitive' comment readers here, suffice it to say I'm very ... excited about this mix. Inclusion of links always a treat, too. Thank You John Ross!
Looking good Ross, real good with a Stroh's in my hand.
i love it already and i haven't even listened to it. yay!
Wait! Where'd JMG get a Stroh's? Quit holdin' out!
Looking forward to this one after my familial obligation weekend.
Rocket fuel, indeed! Roxy right out the gate. /// I just stitched together a 3MPMP mix for next week and Country Music's "Pwaiwie Wo-o-o-ose" [sic] was sadly left in the Can't Fit EVERYTHING Into 45 Minutes runner-up wings. Weirdly, Funkadelic's "Can You Get to That?", Jimi's "Rainy Day Still Dreaming", and Pere Ubu's "Non-Alignment Pact" were also contenders. /// "Supernaught" is an always welcome blast from the past, Jon. Down here in Prairie Fire, Texas our household 14 year-old musicologist (and huge Minutemen fan, so he's got cred, right?) was recently stumped when "Planet Caravan" came up on Random Play. I asked Colin to name the band. Mellowosity from Black Sabbath! Wha--? When I was 14 that song actually made it onto KSFO, back when Sinatra was their staple. /// Thanks for every song on this mix, Mr. Ross! Laibach's California grass, especially so.
Can I hold on to this ride past 'Get Back"? Oh yes, I think I can.
I cranked this mix. The first four songs are absolute favorites. In my world, Down on the Street is maybe the single-most hard-rocking song ever recorded, impossible to listen to without frantic air-drumming and head-bobbing.
I'm with Van, I played this mix as loud as it would go. Anytime, James Brown and Funkadelic is followed by Pere Ubu and Liabach, I'm a happy man.
"Out of the Blue" always reminds me of the Rolling Stone Record Guide (remember *that*?): "At its high point, Roxy came on like the Concorde, sleek and metallic."
Thanks John, live & creepy -- just what 3mpmp needed!
What kind of bad assery is this?? Stooges? Sabbath? LAIBACH???
I think 3mpm just got an ass whuppin'......
nicely done, sir.
This sure is a no messing around mix. The Pere ubu is raw sugar. I am dating myself but the very first album I ever played when I got my first apartment in Isla Vista in 1976 was Live Roxy Music! And I am sure Funkadelic and the Stooges were played that night. We sort of tore the whole Dead swiggling Playa down. Thanks for the memes1
Yes, the mighty, mighty Sabbath. I enjoy a good ole drum break now and then and 'Supernaut' hit the spot. Not many pounding drum breaks these days. Like Van, I also did a bit of head-shaking to this mix — infectious.
All hail the mighty rocket!
This mix reminds me that at times I'd kinda like to have one.
At-ti-tude! Love it. I'm sorry I am so late to the party on this one. And I'm sorry I don't own a '67 Camaro to roll with this either.
Indeed the mighty Sabbath. Ozzy is on book tour right now! He's going to be at the Booksmith on Haight Street tomorrow if anyone wants to see him in self-help mode. This mix is a blast off indeed. Thanks JR!
Hi everybody
I've been away (from the Prodge I mean --I've been home really) mainly because of this! :)
But now finally back on track, hopefully in time to comment just enought to avoid being kicked out! :)
That said, this mix totally rocked. Quite literally. Awesome track selection, nice sequencing, and brilliant segueing throughout --and in the case of James Brown into Pere Ubu, just genius.
Thanks for sharing John!
Post a Comment