DateSeptember 21, 2011
Miracler
Daniel Coffeen
Location
San Francisco
Past Coffeenisms
Daniel is always good for supplying a wholly unpredictable mix, so today's surprise is no surprise. After all, this is the guy who in December '08 gave us the coverific Original Shmoriginal, about which you said, "What Kahimi Karie does with Jimmy Cliff is sci-fi-great, as well as OutKast's take on Julie London," "Yes has made it into the 3MPM cannon, 2009 is just around the corner—things are already looking up" and "Wow, the Minutemen doing Dr. Wu, what a great start to the new year!" and "Sweet! I like" and "My head almost exploded just seeing that The Cardigans had covered Iron Man" and "A really entertaining set."
And in May '09 he made us The Hero Team about which Miraclers wrote, "Mix o' Wonder every which way but loose. Thanks man!" and "I've already dumped at least half of this mix into my faves playlist."
Then in October '10 he presented Cool. Quotes there: "I hope they like this mix downstairs—we've been playing it a lot and loud. In addition to the songs being good, the mix has a good arc. Bravo!" and "Awesome mix!" and "I love this mix! Lots of new-to-me stuff here. It has a great feeling—quiety edgy and angstily mellowtastic."
Current Coffeenness: Notes from DC
Let’s call this a smattering of songs, a hodgepodge of ditties, a mix of melodies that cohere along the trajectory of something as whimsical, passing, and profound as my taste at the moment.
- The lead singer from my favorite brand from yesteryear, Miracle Legion: his voice simply slays me. Here, he covers someone I don’t know but I am sure y’all do. Me, I just like the fuzzy guitar.
- I know the vocals turn some off. Not me. The whole thing is just so gosh darned delectable it makes me want to weep.
- The cover is the ideal musical form. When well done, it is nothing less a miracle, calling forth new life from old. It’s like crawling in the skin of someone and showing a whole new way that body can go. I am a fan of the Bruce and I am fan of this and all is good.
- Whenever I listen to this, I say: that’s fancy. I’m not sure why I say that.
- My 7 year old has introduced me to pop. Jesus, there are so many luscious sounds made these days, even if thematically the songs tend to be banal. Here, Britney channels her best J-Pop. And I think Britney is the future, so post-human, always a collective of people.
- This speaks for itself, now, don’t it? Sprawling geometry.
- Ah, my favorite band and friends who call their music avant-normal.
- Don’t know why Trio re-emerged in my consciousness as of late. But it sounds fresh to me.
- Just because. Just because they make it seem so easy.
Mix is up. Listen and comment. And then comment on others. Cuz that's the deal. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page.
Until next week,
XOK
20 comments:
Best German pop since Neun und neunzig Luft Balloons. Also enjoyed Here are the Facts You Requested. Reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. Also liked the Mum, and might have to seek out more of Mr. Mulcahy. Thanks.
Another great mix of music I have never heard of (mostly). Nicely mellow and alluring. 3mpm is on a roll these days.
So I was just downstairs at work with the iTunes on shuffle. A song came on, the lyrics to which were eerily familiar. WTF? Bonnie Prince Billy is covering What? Rad, super rad, triple super rad.
So this song is my entry into this week's 3mpm (which was going to have to wait for its full listen until tonight). Guess who is stoked?! Yeah, it's me.
Right? The first time I heard that version of Thunder Road I nearly exploded. Absolutely perfect.
Daniel, I've been listening to this mix on auto-repeat now for THREE DAYS. It flows perfectly even though the stuff's all across the board. And only you would so casually dare to toss Britney Spears next to Juana Molina with nary an eyebrow raise. And holy crap, it WORKS!
Thanks for another surprising surprise.
XOK
I will admit that I played with the order for a bit. Britney is tough because the production is so dense and so hi-fi and so different.
And thank you, as always, for all.
You find in Britney what I find in Britney.
Sweet, Daniel. Thank you. Loved Small Town Spree (never heard that version), and Múm kicking it off. Juana Molina, HATFYR, Trio...lovely flow. And who knew that I was a Britney Spears fan?
I knew you were a fan, Doug. From the moment I saw you in that cube across from me. It was so obvious.
Daniel - nice work. Green Grass of Tunnel and Girl Girl Girl are way out of my world, but I love 'em both.
Thanks for affording the opportunity to hear another Britney Spears song... 15 years after that other one. Just joshin', Daniel. Though not a fan, I can see why she has them -- and I hope Britney thanks her songwriters and producers mightily for those fans.Your mix mastery is evident in spades throughout -- the Britney song actually works with the rest! /// The lead song, "Small Town Spree", is a real gem. Thanks for the turning-on to Mark Mulcahy. I will seek out more of that good stuff. Miracle Legion, eh? And Mum, too. I enjoy Kahime Karie's whispery singing, and Mum's singer sounds similar, but this Icelander sounds much, much more genuine -- and, unlike KK, she sings in key. /// Juana Molina: Wow! Thanks for that introduction, too. /// Trio is a forever favorite. All of their songs sound the same, yet they all work, and happily you've added a new Trio song to the hard drive.
Favorites from this mix are Small Town Spree and Girl Girl Girl, but I really want to thank you for your description of Britney Spears' music, which prompted me to stifle my gag reflex to the surface content, to listen with a new ear, and to discover layers of sound and production I had completely missed. Lilting piano? Who knew?
hey Daniel,
really love this mix. Beautiful, luscious, complicated. Will be playing often. Thank you, thank you.
This mix is everything that everyone has already said and more!
thank you for reminding me I love Mum (and you have me searching for them on my hard drive...) and for introducing me to lots of new grooviness!
And hell yeah Britney!
Daniel, I expected from you no less than this: a great mix with eclectic taste, and lots of it!
Have to admit I didn't recognise the Peter Case tune, I had to look it up. Maybe it's because I hadn't heard PC's eponymous in like, 20 years. Good cover!
Thanks in particular for the Pink, didn't have that one --and HATFYR, I didn't know them and I love them!
Thanks also for the memories: I had the pleasure to meet múm several times (for work reasons) and can confirm that twin sisters Gyða and Kristín Valtýsdóttir are way beyond cute. Shame that Gyða left, I've always found twin-fronted acts completely irresistible. But let's not go into off-topics.
Again, an amazing mix, not one stinker in there --you even made me enjoy Britney! You evil you... ;-)
Thanks for sharing!!!
lots of nice stuff you roll out for us. Juana Molina is a universe in itself
This is eclectic wit MASTERFULL CHOPS!
I love Small Town Spree, gonna have to check out more from Mr. Mulcahy. However, this Thunder Road cover is blasphemy. He has gutted the angst replaced it with ennui and a side of malaise. Who wants to fight?
I also dig the opening track with the guitar fuzz, and the Britney tune was weirder than I expected — in a good way. Damn it, I enjoyed it too. Thanks for the mystery mix.
Daniel,
I'm loving this. My first one back for awhile and it makes me wonder how I let it go so long.
Such a nugget!!
Trio new and wonderful for me.
RE: Britney, I too am learning to hear music thru my child's ears. When she was young It was one way, but now I am forced to go places I wouldn't have ventured because of reasons not always related to music.
Thanks for the BPB which surprisingly was new to me.
Track 4 has inspired me to purchase my first "new" vinyl in ... a lot of years. So f*cking smooth, my lord!
Hey Daniel, today is freezing and soon to be another rainy Seattle day - your mix is great and I LOVE the Juana Molina and Trio tracks! Thanks!
Post a Comment