Date:December 29, 2008
Miracler:
Daniel Coffeen
Location:
San Francisco
Mix is here.
Today’s Mix
is a riot of covers so well-disguised, you may not even always recognize them. What Kahimi Karie does with Jimmy Cliff is sci-fi-great, as with OutKast’s take on Julie Andrews, The Cardigans on Sabbath, Jeff Buckley on Van Morrison and so on. Listen and love.
About our Miracler, in his own words
Daniel Coffeen is a sophist at large who thinks and writes of film, art, uni, philosophy, tequila, and music. He never ceases to be amazed by the wonder of the pop song and the elaborate mechanics that can emerge in such discrete borders. Recently, however, he finds himself more and more intrigued at the prospect of drift, sprawl, and the border that just won't keep.
More about Daniel, in Your Hostess’ words
In addition to saving holidays, Dr. Daniel has taught lit and philosophy at Berkeley and did some branding for Landor, before cofounding a cool website called art+culture. This short essay he wrote about Smarty Arty Pop could be the 3MPMP manifesto.
10 comments:
Yes has made it into 3MPMP cannon, 2009 right 'round the corner & things are all ready lookin' up...
Ooooh, I didn't realize Daniel was up already. I'm downloading now and looking forward to smarty arty pop
Russell, thanks for getting Daniel into the group! He's a welcome addition—and actually, his official turn hasn't even come up yet, so we'll get to hear from him again. Awwww yeahhh. XOK
"A welcome addition": that's the nicest thing anyone has said about me in a long time....thanks.
I thought I'd post a list of the names of the original artists. I know most are well known but some, alas, are not. Here ya go (I know: The Beatles twice and Simon and Garfunkel twice: does that say more about me or about them? Hmn):
1. Prince
2. Simon and Garfunkel
3. The Beatles
4. Black Sabbath
5. David Bowie
6. Dr. Pepper commercial
7. Aerosmith
8. older brazilian song, many versions, written by Ary Barroso
9. Rolling Stones
10. Steely Dan
11. Van Morrison
12. Daniel Johnston
13. Jimmy Cliff
14. Julie Andrews/Sound of Music
15. Cole Porter
16. Bob Dylan
17. The Beatles
18. The Buzzcocks
19. Brian Eno
20. Simon and Garfunkel
While there is lots of stuff in here that I didn't know or had ever heard, I was surprised to see some that I have - the Sea and Cake and Uilab (both songs I have had on my own mixes). This collection of covers is such a fun mix.
Thanks for the excellent Outkast and Minutement songs. Wow, the Minutemen doing Dr. Wu, what a great start to the new year!
Based on this mix, I'm really looking forward to Daniel's "official" mix.
sweet! HATFYR on a mix. I like.
Ah, a HATFYR fan! A rare commodity but a treasured one.
Thanks, Daniel. My head almost exploded just seeing that The Cardigans had covered Iron Man. And funny hearing The Minutemen cover Dr. Wu, and then OutKast sounding like Steely Dan a few tracks later. A really entertaining set, although I think Momus doing "Orgasm Addict" should have been on Nestor's mix.
Oh, and check out Cornelius' cover of "Sleep Warm" on his new(ish) album. It's a sweet, almost note-for-note electronic version of the Sinatra/Riddle track.
I'm going to wager that you presented the first Yes track in the history of the project. They could make a game show theme sound like Teutonic minstrelsy. Lots of fun stuff here. Thanks Daniel!
Post a Comment