Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cool

Date
October 14, 2010

Miracler
Daniel Coffeen

Location
San Francisco

When last we heard from DC
He'd brought us 2009's wildly pop-ular The Hero Team which garnered such comments as "I've already dumped at least half this mix into my 3MPMP Faves playlist" and "Mix o' Wonder every which way but loose."and before that, 2008's cover blast, Original Schmoriginal, another fan fave.

Notes by DC
"For many years, I’ve been obsessed with a certain notion of complexity — a dense, baroque music ripe with internal differentiation. But, as I age, decay and perhaps become wiser, I’ve become interested in a different form of complexity, a music more open, more spacious, more willing to linger on a tone, a mood. Music that is, in my eyes, cooler.

The cool is that which burbles and yet maintains its composure — intensity sans hysteria, passion that seethes rather than screeches. This is my proffering of a certain cool.

Note, please, that there are two songs on here from last year’s “Ciao My Shining Star” (Mercury Rev and Thom Yorke)— an album of covers of my favorite band from the 80s, Miracle Legion. The album was put together as a benefit for Miracle Legion’s heart and soul, Mark Mulcahy, whose wife died leaving him with two young twins. The album is astounding, even if you don’t know ML.

As for me, I am a sophist-philosopher-pervert-brand strategist-writer-namer-at-large.
I blog here, sometimes."

Mix is up. Same password. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

6 comments:

Kevin Seidel said...

Nice mix Daniel. I love how seamlessly the Harrison track follows that Beach House track. Same school of reverb. Standouts for me (which I'd never heard): Papercuts and Mary Timony. Thanks!

Monnix said...

Thanks for the mix. I've been enjoying it while at work and find it flows very smoothly. Good to hear Mercury Rev again. I really like Pancake Circus.

Jani said...

I hope they like this mix downstairs—we've been playing it a lot and loud. In addition to the songs being good, the mix has a good arc. Bravo!

andeeeeeeeee said...

hey daniel! awesome mix! moles (i LOVE the moles!!), black moth, jeremy jay, even some black (pop) metal! digging it loads... and i second monnix, WAY to long since i listened to mercury rev... and not directly related to the mix, but sure would be nice to see you again someday... xo xo an de ee

andeeeeeeeee said...

way TOO long that is, and pancake circus? valencia street old school from way out of left field...

lauren said...

I love this mix! Lots of new-to-me stuff here. It has a great feeling -quietly edgy & angstily mellowtastic.