Date1. From the film Muqaddar Ka Sikander. Here's a version with a fellow singing.
2. Pizzacato Two by the mid-90's.
3. Their first album was great.
4. The "Joan Baez of Turkey" hired a fantastic backup band for this 1975 album. Her other albums sound like Joan Baez.
5. I have searched for years for any other song by this performer and have found none other than this one and its b-side, both available on The "Secret Museum of Mankind" series. Uzbekistan, 1948
6. Turkey, 1972
7. Mexico, not sure of the date, 40's-50's
8. Your hips, your ass, 1956
9. His "Grazing in the Grass" is one of the funnest songs ever recorded. But I'm the only one who thinks that, so here's "Vuca". (bonus: here's Healing Song)
10. Terri Summers on vocals. Rodd Keith worked for a company in the late-sixties to mid-seventies where you could send in your crappy poem and $25 and if Mr. Keith was assigned to turn it into a song you might get a slab of genius like this. He sang most of his songs himself and performed the music on a Mellotron. (Act Three, Reverb)
11. Sigur Rós live in 2001. Their album Ágætis byrjun can do no wrong.
18 comments:
30 seconds into it, and loving it. Holding my breath and hoping you don't screw it up...
Somehow, I don't think I have anything to worry about. Thanks, John.
It took a couple of songs but once you got me you really had me. Thanks for a refreshing and seriously lovely mix!
3/4 finished, and possibly one of my favorite mixes. Which is a huge surprise for me. My office mates are digging it too.
As a writer, I find I can't usually listen to music w/ words when I'm working. But I also get tired of instrumentals. Why, this mix solves that problem. My brain doesn't latch hold of the words, because I'm too ethnocentric to understand what's being said. So yes, my lack of lingual skills, and a true appreciation for the vibe you've built here, results in a rating of excellent for this mix!
Your plaque will arrive in the mail shortly.
Loving this mix you've put together, Ross. Thought I would even before the download, reading your liner notes and seeing the late great genius Rodd Keith mentioned. And the hint of a Hugh Masekela song appearance--also a good sign.
Been hearing Masekela's "Grazing In The Grass" a lot lately... and totally digging it. Good to hear "Vuca" even if it's maybe only the second funnest song ever. Coincidence: Just two weeks ago a 13 year-old kid down at the neighborhood park let drop that he was learning to play the trumpet. Surprised that a junior high-schooler of this Guitar Hero Age would take on such difficult music-making machinery, I asked him who his favorite trumpeters were. "Herb Alpert and Hugh Masekela." Alright. Hit makers with such distinctive voices on the horn are rare.
Got a larf out of the "Pizzacato Two" revised population stat. Shibuya-kei was/is fun stuff. (Cornelius, too.)
¡Perez Prado!
***
Have you seen the PBS documentary "Off The Carts: The Song-Poem Story"?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/66690/pbs-indies-off-the-charts-the-song-poem-story
Rodd Keith reminds me of Joe Meek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxdTq67MRdE
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v15126551kJERgAm
Like the Sounds of Distinction's "Grass" too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhUlP4wiAQo
Hmmmm. Time for a pop-psychedelic soul mix on 3MPMP?
P.S. Oops--left out the "Mr." part in front of "Ross." Scusi!
P.P.S. Asa Bhonsle has such a sublime and beautiful voice.
live-blogging yo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz46T7VuihA&feature=related
& thanks for the 10 hours of ethiopian tunes
:)
I don't speak a lick of French
con limo por favor
Something nice about having someone moan, holler, and serenade me and not understand a frickin' word of it. Seriously.
And I know I'm picking out the obvious, well known selection but it's great to hear that P5. Love that song.
Thanks all.
To Tim: I did see "Off The Charts" and recommend it highly.
To Sam: Cornershop? Why yes, in fact their "6 A.M. Jullandar Shere" was the song that inspired this whole mix. But it had already been used in a mix here so I left it off.
I love this mix and the number of supporting links it came with and the number it has spun off.
Have been coincidentally listening to Pérez Prado a bit lately ("Patricia" shuffled in on the iPod during a poker game a month ago which imparted some momentum).
The super-clean Japanese enunciation that's a hallmark of so much Pizzicato V is a boon to a student of the language (kinda like Julieta Venegas is so useful if you're studying new-world Spanish).
"Somebody Else" is pretty great.
Also: Sigur Rós mmmmm.
Great interview/profile of Asha Bhosle (track 1) from yesterday's Guardian UK: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/mar/14/asha-bhosle
^^^ See what I mean?
Terrific experience. Thank you John.
I don't know what 'Gonul Sabreyle Sabreyle' means, but I do know it is damn funky! Thanks.
I have been sitting on a beach in Thailand for the last 5 days now I added the Sigur Rós track to my best music to listen to while staring at the sea playlist! Love it!
OMG!!! I still hadn't gotten there yet --I had just started listening to the mix. But I first saw "Turkey 1972" in the liner notes and an eyebrow raised. Then I saw peter b said something about 'Gonul Sabreyle Sabreyle', and it was hairs that raised. Are they talking about *that* song? And bang-- you guys are!!!
I came to know about 3 Hur-El some 10 years ago through the amazing "Love, Peace & Poetry" collection (on German label QDK/Normal), along with Erkin Koray, Baris Manço and a few more wonderfully obscure gems.
OMG No.2: I googled 'Gonul Sabreyle Sabreyle' (to find the label name, I couln't remember it for the life of me) and thus I found out that M.I.A. has covered it. Whaddaya know.
I love the whole mix, but 3 Hur-El (and John Ross!) have made my day. Thank you sir!!
Also thanks a million for discovering Selda and Rodd Keith for me. I'm in awe.
Post a Comment