DateLiner Notes by TE
So: music for kids. First thing that comes to mind is a pabulum of hearts, flowers, best friends and holding hands. But there’s a lot of stuff out there that’s really great: funny, smart, and well-crafted. But sometimes, nostalgic and sad.
This mix is equal parts happiness and melancholy, combined with a dose of my own childhood faves.
Mahna Mahna — Hard to beat the classic muppet version you say? Give this one a listen and you’ll find yourself itching to get your hands on a police whistle of your own.
Please Don’t Move (to Another Time Zone) — When you’re a kid, where and when you move is out of your hands. (Take it from me: my parents actually forgot to tell me we were moving until one of my dad’s co-workers gave a toast at what turned out to be a farewell party. Whoops!)
The Wonderbees — The Wonderbees album by Recess Monkey is a kind of rock opera concept album for pint-sized people. This is the first track on the album, and after I heard it, I found myself humming it every day for about a week solid.
Meet the Elements — They Might Be Giants are prolific and their songs are witty, stylistically diverse and educational. Thanks to this track, my kid now knows that diamonds come from carbon. All I need to do now is get him to start thinking about buying me some of that sparkly super-compressed carbon.
Thrift Shop — Fun times with Dan Zanes and Sandra Bernhardt. By the way, Dan Zanes puts on a great show. Borrow a kid if you don’t have one of your own and check it out.
Daddy-o — Kids worship their parents for only so long. Hold on to this one for when the kids enter their tween years.
Willie the King — Playing this song about about a kid trying to keep his parents from fighting seems like it would be a downer. But, waitaminute, the lyrics include the word “underpants,” so it’s okay.
Nellie the Elephant — A sad song posing as a fun one, this time about a chained-up elephant. Kids love it.
Video Killed the Radio Star — I know y’all know it. I know it’s not especially original. But I recently decided that this might be my favorite song ever. Don’t judge. Listening to it instantly brings me back to my own 1979 childhood. Plus, my kid loves it, too. He wrote a letter to Trevor Horn asking why The Buggles broke up.
My Little Bird — Even indie bands are big with the kids.
Pure Imagination — Better than the Gene Wilder version? You be the judge.
Kentucky Avenue — Okay, I cheated. This isn’t my kid’s favorite song, but listening to it reminds me of what my dad’s childhood must’ve been like, back when kids ran around with switchblades and smashed windows in old abandoned houses. The kicker is the end – hello, tear-factory.
Bonus Track: The King of Eight
17 comments:
Very playful mix. Thanks.
Also, Toy Dolls rule!
Thank you Toria! This mix looks like something that we have needed for a long time!!!!
My computer cannot download fast enough. Nelly the Elephant...such a favorite since I was a "kid"! Can't wait to listen to the rest!
A great theme and a smart mix that pushes at the category — a really odd category, one that is well described by the ambivalence of your title: happy melancholy (you avoided the creepy — except, maybe, Daddy-O).
But I'll still take the Muppets, however groovy Cake is.
Video Killed the Radio Star always scratched at my consciousness as a kid — it was song about media that was changing right in front of me!
Now tell me, if you would, how do I get my 7 year old boy from singing about getting on his disco stick (which, I should note, he thinks is a magic wand that makes music)? Where did I go wrong?
Hey all,
Got word from a Miracler that the track info for a couple of songs (Daddy-O and Thrift Shop) has been transposed.
If only Obama hadn't taken away the funding for the 3MPM admin. Sorry all, XOK
Oh it was very easy to fix, just imagine all the mistakes that you, our hostess has never made.
Toria - this mix was an instant hit over here!
Fun & playful mix.
TMBG: Once again, my favorite elements get no play in pop culture. Perhaps it's time for me to write my own song about the joys of beryllium.
The track reminds me of an LP I still have: http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2007/03/space-alphabet.html
Hmmm, might be time to revisit the Radiation song...
Dammit, I laughed out loud while trying to be wistful. Thanks, though.
Daniel's comment about media changing brought to mind Sunday's Chron's Pink Section - a 1936 article about radio killing vaudeville.
This is a fun mix...if this is child-oriented, label me a re-juvenile!!
Loved this mix, and I have no doubt my kids will, too. Meet the Elements will be getting a lot of play around the house. Kentucky Ave has always been one of my favorite songs for all the reasons you mention in the liner notes.
Thanks!
Cover songs are tough. A song great enough to capture mass attention and inspire other musicians to give it a go tends to be a piece of art so perfect that it isn't so easily improved upon.
That said, wow, is that Cake song nice. Their version of The Muppets' "Mahna Mahna" may not be better than the original, but it sure is a cool thing unto itself. Love the trumpet.
Interesting that the original Muppets' "Mahna Mahna" has a cover song embedded within it. Like all those great Jazz songs quoting riffs from other songs -- a collage technique that's a precursor to Rap -- there's a break of "Lullaby In Birdland" in the Muppets song. Check this video, it comes about halfway though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA90IlymdZ4
For reference, here's Sara Vaughn's "Lullaby":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA90IlymdZ4
***
It's been done on 3MPMP before, but I'd love to hear more "Got Ya Covered" mixes.
Saw Devo in Austin the other day. Their versions of "Satisfaction" and "Secret Agent Man" are so far from redundant copies. (And by the by, them old taters still know how to rock. "We are Devo, A. A. R. P.")
***
Thanks for the mix, Toria! Really dig "The Elements Song." And the Tom Waits song is one I haven't heard in along, long time. He does such beautiful ballads. Ballads with a church key in the pocket.
Highlights for me: the bittersweet, infectious jangle of Lunch Money, and the 'bee' solo on "The Wonderbees". Of course the mighty, mighty They Might Be Giants are always top-notch. The whole mix made me smile, and my daughter dug it too. Not my son though - but he's just a grumpy middle-schooler.
My 2 year old and I had a listen together and he gave me this kinda "what are you talking about?" look when I started talking about the Muppets. Then later during video killed the radio star he was off wandering about the house. But that is a 2 year old for ya. I can't wait for the disco stick phase.
By the time we got to Tom Waits, it was basically just me listening, but I love Tom Waits so that is totally fine. I agree, The Ferraby Lionheart version IS better than Gene Wilder's. Gotta go, kid crying.
Thank you so much Toria for such a fun, beautiful mix. Our 2-year-old says hi :-) It's always nice to add to the kids' collection, but then there's lots for the whole family to love! Like, wait until my wife hears that Willy Wonka tune... nice one.
I really like TMBG, although my knowledge of their work is very limited... and you just made me realise how much music for children they've made. So thanks for that too.
Then, Nellie the Elephant! Oh my. It took me years to get rid of that earworm. Can't wait for little Lourdes to hear it...
I do agree with Daniel Coffen though: Cake is alright, but nothing beats the Muppets original. My brother has the 7" and I must admit I envy him.
Is that a remastered "Video Killed the Radio Star"? Or is it just the difference between me hearing it now, on headphones, and the memory of how our old '70s stereo made it sound? Hmm.
Thanks for all the comments, I had a lot of fun making the mix.
I have always LOVED the Muppet originals, but I thought the Cake version was rockin' too. Incidentally, if you've only seen the Muppet Show version, check out the 1969 version from the very first season of Sesame Street here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i-L3YTeJJM.
I love this....great concept and loads of goodness.....Wolfie likes! And mama loves....
: )
Post a Comment