

Date
When you hear that someone from one of your favorite bands has quit to go solo - or worse, has joined a Supergroup*, you are right to expect the worst. On that rare occasion when the planets align and it all works out, it's something to celebrate. That's the beat-the-odds premise of today's double-album mix.
August 11, 2010
Miracler
Kevin Seidel
Location
San Francisco
SOLOS & SUPERGROUPS
A Double Album
When you hear that someone from one of your favorite bands has quit to go solo - or worse, has joined a Supergroup*, you are right to expect the worst. On that rare occasion when the planets align and it all works out, it's something to celebrate. That's the beat-the-odds premise of today's double-album mix.
* A note on "Supergroups": Yes, I've used this term somewhat liberally. For example, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds was a Supergroup, made up of the members of The Birthday Party, Magazine, Die Haut and other even lesser known groups. Yes, very obscure. And no, Loretta Lynn isn't a super group, but when combined with her backing band here, featuring Jack White and members of the the Raconteurs and Dead Weather and the Greenhornes, well she is for the sake of this mix!
About KS
You may remember Kevin as the guy who rose at 4am to win our Evening With Paul Weller Sweepstakesback in ‘08. He's also known around Pop Miracle HQ as a Platinum Participant™ for his generous contributions to the group, including 2009's 2-disk tour de force Downside and Upside and Grant Lee Phillips Definitive Collection. And his name pops up often in the Comment section here with positive reenforcement for his miracling brethren.
A musician himself as well as brilliant ad writer/sometime triathlete/daily surfer/adoring husband/doting dad in addition to chainsaw-swinging ice cream vendor, Kevin appears incapable of giving less than 200% to our group, so today we get another double album from him. Go git it.
XOK
7 comments:
Miracler Tip:
If you're listening in iTunes, you can see what bands each artist came from in the tracks' info window.
Okay, I'll start.
Kevin, superfun supergroups mix. I wasn't familiar with Tuatara or 7 World Collide—liked em. Other tracks going into my 'best of 3mpm' playlist: 4, 5, 10, 12, 13, & 15.
Some good stuff also on the Solo mix—always nice to hear Joe Strummer & Lou's Barlow & Reed. Also digging the J Tillman track.
Not sure why Miraclers are being so lame in responding to your stuff—but your Platinum Participant™ status remains untarnished!
XOK
okay.
Solo has a bunch of go-to mix songs that I love to use.
Don't know whether to be stoked or peeved.
I guess that makes me 'steeved'.
(For the record, you had me at Mark Lanegan.)
Meanwhile, just about all of Supergroups was unheard by me. Not unheard-OF, but it's great to finally get to listen to things i've only heard/read about.
Thanks Kevin!
Kevin,
Good job, man. I liked some of the solo songs -- classics & Lou Barlow (or do I repeat myself?) -- but the supergroups mix was amazing: you had a concept & also the music flowed seamlessly.
Thanks!
~ Sam
:)
Finally, finally got around to listening, and a big thanks for this musical double whammy. Some faves for me: the understated pleasant weirdness of 7 Worlds Collide, the bell-bottomed-feeling Them Crooked Vultures, and the Star Trekish backing vocals on that Gruff Rhys tune. Good, good stuff.
I really enjoyed both these mixes. As a matter of fact, I think almost every one of these songs made it into my current playlist.
a double comment on a single mix. not sure if that's gonna make Kelly happy or ornery. but the dead weather just came on shuffle (genius, actually, if you must know) and Holy Crap do I LOVE them! Thanks Kevin! Again!
Post a Comment