February 14, 2013
Miracler
Kelly Niland
Location
San Francisco
Liner Notes
What’s that quote, “Wherever you go, there you are?” These notes remain the backbone of 95% of the music I enjoy as an adult. Why fight it? The stuff’s encoded in me.
Eleanor The Turtles
Even at the time, you knew they were being funny with those lyrics.
I Saw the Light Todd Rundgren
One of my first boyfriends, after D. Cassidy and B. Sherman.
Sister Golden Hair America
I put a lot of dimes (nickles?) in the Y jukebox for this one.
Come and Get It Badfinger
Rediscovered about 10 years ago during my Summer of Badfinger. Thrilled to be reacquainted.
Never Gonna Fall in Love Again Eric Carmen
I'm 10, I've got a pet rock, a hamster in a plastic ball, and Eric Carmen. Life is perfect.
Make Your Own Kind of Music Cass Elliot
Back to the pop. Oh wait: it’s all pop.
Don’t Sleep in the Subway Petula Clark
Loved the sweet scolding. My future as a harpy already evident?
Everything I Own Bread
Oh David Gates. Many hearts around your name in the margins.
Massachusetts Bee Gees
You didn’t really expect these guys not to be here, did you?
Quicksilver Girl Steve Miller Band
I broke up with Harry Chapin to date Steve Miller and never looked back.
Sundown Gordon Lightfoot
Baby’s First 45. Feels a little mature for an 8-yr-old...Mom clearly didn’t hear/buy back this one first.
Baby Come Back Player
Now I’m 12 and life’s getting complicated. Luckily, Player broke it down for me.
Have You Seen Her Chi-Lites
Is this a good song? No idea—I only know I love/d it.
Never, My Love 5th Dimension
The Association version was really the one I knew then. But this is the good one.
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

22 comments:
Lovely Mix here Redhead. Cool how you kept it all with in that certain span of years. Quite fitting for the founder and hostess of the 3mpm. I am missing your favorite Ray Coniff, Mitch Miller and Roger Wittacker songs, but clearly these songs belonged to you alone.
It'll get lots of play over here!
Are you throwing a gang sign on that cover photo?
you're breaking my heart here, god damn.
Since I proudly own this disc, I will give it my thumbs up endorsement for it's ability to throw one back to the 70's upon its first note and hold you firmly in its grip until the last "Never, My Love." Highlights: Badfinger, BeeGees (seriously), Turtles, America (which brought back memories, though horrible, of an old cover band that used to play that song).
Fantastic! Todd Rundgren, Cass Elliot and Petula Clark in the same mix, brilliant. And my favorite song by The Steve Miller Band. Then capped off by the 5th Dimension. Well done, Kelly, well done.
A wonderful time capsule to a parallel life - can't wait to hear it. Thanks Kelly!
Paul Rhodes
Yeah, "Have You Seen Her" is a good song. These songs meant a lot to our generation and still do. Wonder if, in 2048, a Miracle Hostess somewhere will be dreamily recalling Fleet Foxes and Sam Beam.
Nice work!
Sweet little time capsule, hostess. Thanks.
Has any of the ceramic jewelry survived?
Eric Carmen's "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" is the stand-out in this great mix. The Gal Pal was in the next room while I was having a first listen and she chimed in, "Great song. Who is it?" I didn't know either. Looked it up and replied, "Guy from The Raspberries... who had a big hit in '75 with "All by Myself"... which borrows from Rachmaninoff?" The flutes and woodwinds have a Brian Wilson vibe, especially in the bridge. Sweet.
That Cass Elliot song was a big fave of my mom's. Heard it a lot, back in the 70s. Weirdness? Mama Cass dying in the same London flat as Keith Moon -- Harry Nillson's flat.
And doesn't "Baby Come Back" sound all Hall and Oatsy?
"Come And Get It" has appeared on exactly 2,754 mixtapes I've made. Hard to resist that one. Paul McCartney wrote and produced it. For the demo version, Paul played the drums (borrowing Ringo's kit) and also the piano and the bass. Badfinger then mimicked Paul's demo as closely as possible.
Steve Miller sure was groovy, back in the hippie days. "Quicksilver Girl" is my close-second favorite song in the mix. Uncany: Steve's special talent for making dumb lines and cheap innuendo so totally work: "She spreads her wings, and she's free."
Yeah, baby. If you let me shake your peaches I'll fly like an eagle.
Excellence in sound, Kelly. Muchos arigatos!
My second try at leaving a comment -- maybe I'm doing something wrong? Anyway -- I am new here. I love everything about this mix, especially "Don't Sleep in a Subway," which was in my older sisters' big, wondrous box of 45s that I listened to constantly as a child. How I love that tune!
Big grin. I think I just had a 7th grade flashback, if that's actually possible. Among other highlights, glad to hear America in a mix! Nice work, Kelly!
Oops - about the America-finally-in-a-mix-comment; I was working my way backwards - Sorry Christina!
Yeah, John, jeez!
(I'm still glad we chose diff America songs for maximum America influence infiltration) This song is obviously about a redhead, not a blond. We're GOLD, baby! In fifth grade a classmate's mom commented on my hair, saying it was "spun gold". Which then prompted her daughter to chase me around the schoolyard daily during recess trying to pull my hair out so she could be rich. Gold can have a down side. Did that used to happen to you?
I actually thought Sir Paul did that Badfinger song. Oops, major music cred destruction.
TOTALLY DIGGING how much The Turtles sound like David Cassidy, et cetera.
This Eric Carmen song sounds like the soundtrack to the driving/montage scene in a 70s made-for-teevee love story. Obvs adding to my Smoothday go-to hit list.
You know Rundgren and Bread hit me right in that sweet spot.
And Gordon. Gord's Gold, it's all gold. Thank Hostess!
This mix hits an awful lot of soft spots in my gooey pop center.
mrs. fritz believes that you must have been listening to the same AM radio as she was way back when.
Kelly, I feel like I'm toggling between KYA and KFRC back in the day. Some of these tunes I'd crank up and sing along to, -Todd, America, Badfinger, Petula Clark, that great Turtles pop gem Elenor, "you're my pride and joy, etc." Others, I probably changed the station.
Haven't heard Sundown or Make Your Own Kind of Music in ages, They sound timeless. Really fun to dive into your past!
Badfinger, oh yeah.
All (or some) of the songs from my kid am radio days in my room. Love it, Kelly. Thanks!
MAJOR 5th Dimension Goosebumps.
Wow, you just shot an arrow through my transistor-radio-lovin' heart. I love this mix!! One day I'll tell you my silly story of Sister Golden Hair Surprise.
Oh, I must get you a copy of the original version of "Have you seen her" ASAP. this one sounds like they did it in on a laptop on BART!
xo
The year is 1978. I am at church camp. It is the last night, the last hour of the camp dance. The lights are low, the dances are slow. Every single one of these songs is played by the DJ. All is well.
Every time Quicksilver Girl comes on I think it's Beck.
Post a Comment