Thursday, February 7, 2013

Influential Collection #6: Marcella on the Rocks

Date
February 7, 2013

Miracler
Marcella Estes

Location
Point Richmond, Ca

Who here's ready to RAWK?
If your hand's up, run-don't-walk to the 'mix is up' link. We got a hard-driving chick in the house and she is taking zero prisoners, Morrissey included.

Last time she graced this space,
Marcella was bringing us A Glass of Twang, a crowd-pleaser over at Prodge HQ as well as the comment section, inspiring praise like:

'You hit me right in the home state. When in doubt, I reach for a glass of twang -- anything from Uncle Tupelo to Johnny Cash to Lucinda Williams to Patsy Cline.'    'There's a lovely tone to your mix, a subset of alt country that doesn't get enough respect. It reminds me of the music collected for the film, Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus. I believe the Handsome Family are included on that album. Faves from your mix are, well... all of 'em, but in particular, I enjoyed the segues from Stalled to I'm Sure Of It to Our Lady of the Shooting Stars.Thanks.'    'Still digging the mix. It's helped me realize that I LOVE, LOVE songs where men and women trade verses and share harmonies about love and pain.'    'Twang? Ew! I really enjoyed this mix and it's overall feel. For me it didn't really have a front porch/cold beer vibe, but maybe that's because it was rainy, grey, and cool here. I did enjoy some PNW syrah with it though. My favorites were Jesse Sykes and Hush Arbors, followed pretty closely by LaMontagne and Vedder. Beautiful stuff, thank you!'    'I wouldn't have said that I like Alt Country that much, but I love this mix! What a great collection of rhymes in Lolita.'    'My first taste of alt country was just out of high school with Tex & the Horseheads, and I have loved it ever since. This mix is great; my favorites are the Sykes, Farrar, LaMontagne, and Red Meat tracks. I have been meaning to pick up a copy of Ukelele Songs ever since it came out, and now I see that I must do so sooner than later.'    'Jesse Sykes and Blanche – both new to me. Love the Jay Farrar, Ray LaMontagne (a semi-favorite here at the 3MPMP), The Handsome Family, Supersuckers (introduced to me by Toby Barlow many years ago by this very song!)... Thanks, Marcella! I love that twang. Gonna go buy the new Dwight Yoakam album after hearing this one.'    'What a great mix. I have to admit that despite my constant trying not to, I like Eddie Vedder. The other cuts that stood out to me are Blanche and Red Meat. I was thrilled to see Red Meat in the mix and that cut is fantastic. Thank you.'    'There's some lovely songs here. I am so reminded of a Chicago band called Freakwater here. Do you know them? A couple favorites are Hush Arbors and Blanche. Welcome to the prodge Marcella!!'


What's she brung us today? NOT TWANG but rather Rock and ROLLLL, PEOPLE! Let out those ponytails, ladies—you're gonna need all your hair for this thing.


Liner Notes from Marcella

This was excruciating. I have such eclectic taste, and wanted to make this listenable. Thought of having a hard side and a soft side. But in the end, hard rock is at my core, so I focused on that vibe. And it really bugs me personally to listen to a CD with the tempo all over the place. So put this on when you're in the mood to do some head banging in your living room...

In chronological order. And I'm not saying these are absolutely the best songs by these people, but they had the rock angst I wanted for this mix.

We start with the mighty Led Zeppelin (69), the best rock band on the planet—period.

Bowie (73)—I asked my Mom to buy Bowie Live for xmas when I was 12.

Public Image Ltd (78)—brush with fame!   I have a  signed copy of Rotten I got when he had a bookstore thingee downtown.

Pretenders (80)—Not a fan when they got so pop, but this song is nice and snotty.

Kate Bush (82)—Just needs to be in here for her originality.

Janes (88)—Wish I could have seen them when they first got together. If you haven't seen the movie "The Gift" yet and you're a Perry fan, see it. I named my pig after him.

Nirvana (90)—Saw them at The Cow Palace with L7—amazing.

Pearl Jam (91)—Loved me the Grunge. Soundgarden missing for no good reason.

My Bloody Valentine (91)—just gorgeous stuff.

Faith No More (92)—I just think Mike Patton was one of the most exciting rock vocalists around at that time, outside of Chris Cornell.

PJ Harvey (92)—I guess '92 was a good year for me! Love her—amazing vocalist, great guitar player and holds a stage like on one else. (Nick Cave missing for no good reason.)

Morrissey (92)—Love The Smiths too, but Morrissey bowls me over with his lyrics—excellent performer. Looking forward to seeing him at Davies 2/13 (fingers crossed)!

Bjork (95)—Techno & Rap starting to creep into the mainstream. Love Bjork and all her iterations—great vids. (Beasties missing for no good reason.)

Jon Spencer (95)—Always a good time. Matador Records ruling.

The Stitches (95)—Great LA punk band. Saw them at The Purple Onion. Weirdly, the singer had a record store in LA but is now the prez of a skin care company—wft?

Filter (96)—I know, kinda juvenile but good song nonetheless.

NIN (96)—good n thrashy

Pavement (99)—My favorite Pavement song—such original guitar work. I listened to this & Tindersticks in France while wondering if my boyfriend really liked me (we're now married).

White Stripes (99)—Even though I think Jack rips off Jimmy Page a little, I still love them/him.


Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.  To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Jane's Addiction! I have yet to replace my cassette tape that contained Mountain Song. Now I don't have to!

Doug said...

Well, yeah...

Thanks, Marcella!

Doug said...

Amazing that Communication Breakdown only clocks in at 2:38. Most Monkees songs are longer!

Wes said...

This mix is absolutely awesome. I loved hearing every cut again. And that Pavement song is out of bounds good. What a great band. Thank you so much, Marcella.

fritz said...

Definitely unrelenting on the rocking with a great one-two punch to finish it off! Lots of new-to-me material since I kinda missed most of the 90s... Really really enjoyed the Stiches track!

Karl said...

This mix kicked in at the same time as my coffee to make the morning commute a little slice of fried gold. Lots of old favorites I haven't listened to in a long time (Jane's, Nirvana, JSBX) lots of favorites I still listen to regularly (PIL, Zep, MBV), and stuff from artists I know but hadn't heard, like that fantastic Pretenders cut and what is easily the best Kate Bush song I've ever heard.
Nice work!

xtina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xtina said...

NSFW. Loving it.
So loud it's practically knocking the yarn off the shelves.
We're closed on Mondays. I foresee this starting off my Monday TCB playlist!
Love your mixes, Marcella. Thanks!

Greg Buns Mills said...

This is awesome. I like the unabashed dedication to ROCKISM.

Van said...

My daily morning routine for the month of February: Cursed the alarm clock, made lunches, got the kids off to school, had breakfast with my wife, settled into the home office, cranked the absolute shit out of this mix, and settled into a nice groove for the rest of the day.