January 30, 2013
Miracler
Xtina Stork
Location
Oakland
If you've been digging the Influential theme behind these recent Collections,
You've got today's Miracler Christina Stork to thank for it, for it was her idear. This mix is a 1.2-hour-long Muybridge flipbook of the evolution of one of our most active/enthusiastic Miraclers, taking us from trike to bike to dune buggy to hot air balloon or whatever she gets around in these days. It's SOLID. Take it for a spin and then COMMENT away as you do so well.
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox. To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

12 comments:
I had to look up 'Muybridge'.
I dreamed I saw Chuck D last night... The Doctor and the Reverend! ...X promising my mohawked teenaged self that all would be better in the West... The Three O'Clock really brought back memories of my old housemate Brian and his "fresh from California" record collection. Great stuff-- thanks!
When I was importing this, I saw "The Chauffeur" and thought, "I cannot get to this mix fast enough!"
Are there liner notes? I'd like to know more about this amazing journey.
This is indeed a SOLID mix. Have the Monkees ever sounded better? How about that Olivia Newton John track? I'm loving these Influence Mixes, thanks for a great mix & a wonderful idea! I've even got some non-3MPMers crafting their own.
Most excellent mix, Christina! A host of favorites, some new-to-me stuff, and a few HUH? picks to keep things interesting.
"Rhymin' & Stealin'" time-travels to that glorious first LP when the Beasties were perfectly lovable un-Buddha-like assholes."Frrrrrrrrrriggin' in the riggin' and slittin' yer throat."
"Berimbau" by Astrud is a Desert Island song.
"Lose This Skin." After "the Magnificent Seven," "Junco Partner," and "Somebody Got Murdered," this is maybe my No.4 song on Sandinista. And that's Tymon Dogg's song. He wrote it, he sang it, played the violin on it. Sandinista is a really weird album.
Haven't heard "Diamonds And Rust" in -- what? -- two decades, easily. Love Joan's descriptions of the unnamed heartbreaker (that'd be Bob Dylan, kids): "The Madonna was yours for free." Don't much like the synthesizer. Time and place, eh? Joan's vibrato has always bugged me, but I still dig her muchly.
Here's Joan Baez in 1977 RAPPING on the Johnny Carson Show. Stick with the video for a few minutes and she gets to the Dylan and Baez story -- sorta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DGF1tQ8V4o.
The Three O'Clock are back together? That's some old paisley. "With A Cantaloupe Girlfriend" -- my pre-verted brain can't help but add a plural "S" to the titular (hee-hee-hee) melon. No such thing as hidden meaning in Pop Music.
As a kid whose ears were glued to AM radio, how is it possible that I never heard that song by America? Dr. Teeth – totally confused until I recognized Muppet voices. (I'm one of the older members of our little group.) The Three O'Clock – right in my wheelhouse, as is so much else on this mix. Thanks for these introductions: The Bedshredders and Tenor Saw. And a great outro with Toro y Moi! Thanks, Christina. Now excuse me while I go light a few extra candles beneath your shrine...
Wow, I expected great stuff, and is a great mix. Anything that has both the Beasties (their best song) and the Butthole Surfers wins. And to include Public Enemy and The Three O'Clock. Well done, Christina. Thank you.
Christina!
I love these influential mixes, the similarities that we all have and then the oddball songs/ bands that you have never heard of - the Bedshredders, Dr. Teeth...Is that from Electric Company or something?
Meanwhile, a little more love is the one song that ONJ ever did that I LOVE and have loved for years. Rhymin & stealin gets a lot of shouting play over here as well.
Thank you for bringing Diamonds and Rust to light again. I think I listened to in 3 times right away.
I did not think there would be another Duran Duran song that I would enjoy, but the Chauffeur proved me wrong.
I first had that dinosaur song on a recorded cassette and It sounded nostalgic then!
I feel like I lived a dual existence with you Christina. I still haven't put my mix together but I wonder if you will think the same?
Very excited to have a song from America that I didn't already know. Awesome mix, Xtina.
First off, thanks Christina for this great idea you've set sailing with these influential mixes. Loved yours.
Haven't heard Diamonds and Rust in decades, same with America. I remember winning A Horse With No Name LP on some KFRC contest back in the day, when I used to trace pictures of the Monkees and The Beatles on left-over wax paper from sandwiches my mom made .
Our tastes overlapped with X, The Clash, Al Green and that wonderful Astrud Gilberto arrangement.
Lottsa new stuff here for my ears. Especially liked the Husker Du and Tenor Shaw pieces. Fun mix.
There's some great stuff on here. Love the Bedshredders cut - cool guitar sounds - made me investigate further. And I bet no one's ever said this sentence before: "I really like Olivia Newton John and X."
Thanks!
Post a Comment