Wednesday, January 9, 2013

F-You, Mayans (The Best Unused Tracks of 2012)

Date
January 9

Miracler
Pete Kellen

Location
Milwaukee

Wrapping up 2012 with a bow
and sending it into the past all nice-n-neat, Pete Kellen of The Ministry of Unused Miracles was dispatched to deep dive through 2012 to make sure the most deserving tracks not included on a Miracle mix were accounted for. The result: a collection of sparkling A-Side gems deserving of their place in the setting sun. Thanks, good minister! 

Liner Notes from PK
Laura – Bat for Lashes. Natasha Khan makes me sad. But in an exhilarating way.

Incommunicado – Field Report. These Wisconsin boys made good, with the help of Bon Iver. Try not to hold it against them.

Emmylou – First Aid Kit. The year’s tastiest slice of Americana came straight out of Stockholm. Speaking of America, this sister duo also did the best cover, maybe ever.

Only Son of the Ladiesman – Father John Misty. My favorite song from my favorite album of the year. Also, the year’s liveliest hips (is that a Grammy category?)

Serpents – Sharon Van Etten. A bunch of the year’s best albums came from the ladies. Including Ms. Van Etten.

Feels Like We Only Go Backwards – Tame Impala. I wish they listened to something other than the Beatles growing up, but it’s hard to argue the results.

Something Good – Alt-J. I was determined to not like this album, given the ridiculous amount of hype it received. Then, I listened to it.

Lady – Chromatics. I don’t think this was on the ‘Drive’ soundtrack. But it probably should have been.

CPU – Big Boi (featuring Phantogram). Who knew these two great tastes would taste so great together.

Continuous Thunder – Japandroids. Truth be told, I don’t like Japandroids as much as most people. I think their songs all sound the same. Except this one.

Diary of an Old Soul – Paradise. The best band you’ve never heard of

Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.  
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

10 comments:

Wes said...

Absolutely fantastic from the very start. The Bat For Lashes cut is amazing. And I even put aside my dislike of Fleet Foxes to enjoy the Father John Misty cut. It's really good. Apparently, we in Seattle have two chances to see him in the next month. I might just take one of them. Sharon Van Etten is magical. Chromatics is totally new to me. Very nice. Big Boi might be the best thing to come out of Atlanta since iced tea with way too much sugar. Paradise is the perfect ending cut for this mix and you're right, I'd never heard of them. Well done, Pete.

Kellen said...

I saw Father John Misty a couple times last year and can't recommend it highly enough. Guy exudes more charisma in one little hip shake than Fleet Foxes can muster in an entire show. The fact they had him buried behind a drum kit is nothing short of a travesty.

Karl said...

I'm glad to not be the only person who's been avoiding Father John Misty due to an ambivalence toward Fleet Foxes - a friend burned me a copy of the album, and now that I've enjoyed this track, I'll have to dig up that copy!
Lots of nice stuff on here (even got my wife's attention, as it's right up her alley until the last few songs) - Bat for Lashes, Field Report, and Chromatics stick out for me, though that is a solid Big Boi outing, as usual.
I feel the exact same way about Japandroids - not sure what the big deal is, but you're right about this one - nice 'n hazy in a Jesus and Mary Chain-y way.

Van B said...

The year is very young indeed, but that title & cover is likely to remain my favorite for 2013.

Great mix. Most of these tracks are new to me, and what a wonderful gift it is to discover so much still-undiscovered goodness from the past year. Those first five songs are my favorites, and the Alt-J is another stand-out for me.

alix said...

PETE! With holiday mania, and the entire family getting sick, I haven't been able to download the last couple of mixes....today is the day and I gotta say I'm sold just by the fact that Bat for Lashes is the first track here! (It's downloading now.) I haven't heard most of these songs (and many bands are new to me too) so extra action excited. I'll come back and comment AGAIN fo sho!

xtina said...

I think I look forward to Pete Kellen's liner notes as much as I do to the mix itself. Well, maybe as much. No. Definitely as much. I'm loving the skeptical caveats that accompany so many of this year's entries: songs that made it onto the mix despite hurdles such as coming-from-bands-we-don't-like, Beatles exposure, or mass hype.

Yes to Field Report. Porterfield's voice has a raspiness that conjures someone of furthered years, so I was surprised by his youthfulness. On first listen I heard more of the Justin Vernon connection in this song, but was pleased that that dissipated upon repeated listenings and it really stands on its own.

First Aid Kit = Sweden's answer to Alela Diane.

I've been digging the new Tame Impala for a while now, and was glad it made it to this mix. Ditto Japandroids, although I've been stuck on their older stuff so this is a good excuse to modernize.

∆. What a a great reward for feeling out of it (mass hype? Huh? Who? Ne'er heard of em) and Googling these nerds.

Chromatics. New album getting downloaded by me this week as a result of this mix (same with Field Report). And 'Tick of the Clock' was, indeed, on the Drive soundtrack. Was that a trick, Pete, to see if we're paying attention?

I love a new band with an old sound. Agree that Paradise was a kickin way to wrap up this excellent mix. It Paired itself with Arctic Monkeys in my ears on first listen, and still does on future listens, but I like this way way way better.

Thanks PK for cutting it up and keeping us on the cutting edge!

Laura said...

Lotsa gems that are destined to be in my 3MPMP faves playlist -- and I've come to expect nothing less from Mr. Kellen.

Mark Ulriksen said...

All new stuff to me. I'm constantly amazed at how out of it I can be re new music. Field Report, Sharon Van Etten, Tame Impala, Japanoids and that killer closer by Paradise all made it onto my uber 3MPM playlist.

Missed seeing both Van Etten and Tame Impalas at last summers Outside Lands Festival in SF. So it goes.

Doug said...

Let's start with Paradise, shall we? Amazing. Thank you for that, Pete Kellen. Also loved Field Report, First Aid Kit (lovely cover of "America" – thanks for the extra credit assignment), Tame Impala (great album top to bottom), Big Boi, and Japandroids (a band about which we share an opinion). Ah hell, it's all fantastic...

Kellen said...

Thanks for all the nice comments. Especially the ones about Paradise. In the interest of full disclosure, the band is fronted by a friend of mine. I shared your comments and he was really tickled. Well, as tickled as one can be while maintaining an ironic distance, in keeping with being a rock star.