Thursday, March 14, 2013

Teetering

Date
March 14, 2013

Miracler
Abby Bridge

Location
San Francisco

Ignoring our 45-minute rule in service of a higher concept (ruled admissible by the Ministry of Conceptual Exceptions), Mizz Bridge, she of Book Snakes and Bone Folders and Better Than a Tranquizer, has a little sumpin sumpin for us today which I'll let her explain.

But first, to quell any attendant trepidation, here are accolades, some which came in as many as 3 months after the fact (which is COOL) from AB's last outing:

I have long been waiting for another Abby Bridge Mix!!     This is awesome! Lots of weird interrelatedness between bands.     Thanks for this beautiful, mysterious, and mostly gentle-tempo'd collection, Abby. Even the cover art is gorgeous.     Really, this is gorgeous and underwatery and psychedelic - 6 decades no less.     On pace to drag the whole damned thing to my prodge favorites playlist. This is just great. Thanks Abby!     This is one of the most original mixes I've heard. The songs are interesting individually, but they come together to make something really fantastic. Thanks!     This is terrific. The Golden Bears rock and the Fresh & Onlys dip into the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Never heard anything like Slapp Happy. I was gonna look them up, but I decided what they look like in my mind is way better than what they look like in real life. Thanks, Abby!           Joe Crow sounds like lost early Eno. Digging Josef K, Golden Bears, Phyllis Dillon (my wheelhouse), Sam Gopal (how didn't this end up on Tibbs' mix?), The Fresh & Onlys (my other wheelhouse), Momus (my other, other wheelhouse). Thanks, Abby!    Great decade-defying stuff -- love it!      Joining with the corwd to say that I really enjoyed the Golden Bears selection. And it was great to hear another song from Phyllis Dillon-- I only had her "risque" "Don't Squeeze Me Tomatoes" before.     This is a great mix. I agree about the others about Golden Bears and I'm really taken with Slapp Happy and Josef K. Nice work.     This is a great mix. I agree about the others about Golden Bears and I'm really taken with Slapp Happy and Josef K. Nice work.     The future will be hula hoops entwined with gamma rays. Love it. Other highlights for me include A. More, Rita Lee, and Slapp Happy. A masterful and eclectic combination..     A fine, quirky, timeless bunch. The Fresh & Onlys are excellent among others. And you have my vote for most poetic mix title - dig it.

See? You can trust her. Even if she does take you to some dark places on the way to the sunshine.

Liner Notes from AB

Choose Your Own Adventure. How it works:

Track 1
You are walking through the desert. The sun is drying up your brain. You’re singing in English, a language you don’t understand very well. You’re goin’ mad!

Track 2
 You are now in the cold, cold darkness. You have become fluent in English but your vocabulary is limited and something is wrong, very wrong. It’s a magic madness and it sounds pretty heavy.

You have come to a door. If you want to continue this musical voyage through the outer reaches of the human psyche continue to Song 3. Beware of the Puzzled Panther, Chuck Mangione, and the Dream Dragon. Your journey ends at Song 13.

If you just want everything to be O.K., skip to Song 14. Let's mix it up and bring it down a few notches.
  1. I'm Going Mad / The Scorpions
  2. Out of Focus / Blue Cheer
  3. Manimal / The Germs
  4. Ward 81 / Fuzztones
  5. The Lunatics (Have Taken over the Asylum) / Fun Boy Three
  6. Cuckoo / The Monks
  7. Self Portrait / The National Gallery
  8. The Crazies / Gary Numan & Tubeway Army
  9. She Cracked / The Modern Lovers
  10. Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues / The Kinks
  11. Octopus / Syd Barrett
  12. Mind Contorted / Daniel Johnston
  13. Krankenhaus / New Bad Things
  14. It's O.K. / Dead Moon
  15. Cual es tu nombre? / Los Dug Dugs
  16. Left in the Dark / Vertebrats
  17. Shout It Out / Mikal Cronin
  18. Unkind & Unwise / The Go-Betweens
  19. Rhythm of Cruelty / Magazine
  20. Nothing in my Heart / Horrid Red
  21. Music for Evenings / Young Marble Giants
  22. Witness / Richard Buckner
  23. Houses / Elyse
  24. Now That I Know / Ted Lucas
  25. Going Down the Road Feeling Bad / Elizabeth Cotton
  26. Oh Fernanda Why / Arthur Russell
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.  To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

20 comments:

Wes said...

This is an absolutely amazing mix. From the start, I was in. I don't think I've ever heard that Scorpions cut. And then Blue Cheer, fantastic. I always get nostalgic when I hear Darby Crash coming out of my stereo. And then the haunting voice of Daniel Johnston. If anyone hasn't seen The Devil and Daniel Johnston, it's a must see. So I go along, enjoying each cut thoroughly and then BAM, Dead Moon! I consider them yet another reason to be proud of living in the Pacific Northwest. And what a great song. Los Dug Dugs are totally new to me and what a great find. I immediately purchased a copy of their self-titled record, but it doesn't have this cut. I would love to know where you found it. I went along, doing what my dog finds to be a disturbing dance as the mix played and then Magazine came on. This is one of my favorite songs of all time. Another great memory. My buddy who runs sound here just worked with Richard Buckner and raves about what a great experience it was. And what a great song. This mix is magical. I was delighted all the way through. And the liner notes were priceless. Also, the cover art is perfect. Thank you so much, Abby.

Abby B. said...

Thanks, Wes! I'm glad the mixes found such an enthusiastic audience. I did the insanity mix 1st which was a fun excuse to dig deep in my musical memory (some of those songs wormed their way out of the adolescent cortex of my brain - hadn't listened to them in years), but I wasn't so sure how listenable it was and I felt like doing something else so I came up with the 2nd mix starting with the same 2 songs. I was going to just turn that one in, but instead gave them both to Kelly. So there was no real conceptual plan, but it sort of works (maybe?). I do like the idea of a well-plotted Choose Your Own Adventure mix, but I'm not sure how it would work best. Maybe on vinyl with an accompanying book?


Lonesome Crow, the Scorpions 1st album is great. The Dug Dugs song is from Smog, their 2nd album which I picked up at Aquarius a few years ago (http://www.aquariusrecords.org/ a reliable place for recommendations and the list they send out always has gems). I 2nd the recommendation for The Devil and Daniel Johnston. Yeah, Dead Moon should definitely be a source of NW pride. I lived in Portland from 88-94 and saw them play as an opening act a bunch of times before I really appreciated them. The older I get the better they sound. Magazine also brings back Portland memories for me - playing them on my 2-4 am college radio show and parties in my cold and dark but awesome room (formerly the rec room of an elderly couple's house, complete with homemade bar). I never paid much attention to Richard Buckner until I saw him play at Brick and Mortar Music Hall here last year. I went on an impulse and it turned out to be a completely mesmerizing show, one of the best live performances I've seen. He just had a huge presence, intense and completely immersed in the music, and the audience was small and totally rapt (no chatting, no cell phones). Kind of reminded me of a couple of early Catpower shows I went to where she was just completely on and so powerful (most of the time she wasn't/isn't). I went to see him again a couple nights ago and he was great but he was much more chatty and relaxed and the show didn't have the same intensity. Anyway, I definitely recommend his live shows and Our Blood is a fantastic album. My cover art is also from Portland - an albumen print of a suited-fellow standing on a rock in the ocean (Oregon Coast?) that I found at a garage sale ages ago. Thanks for listening!

Ray said...

Geez, Abby. Where to begin? I almost put "Close My Eyes" or "Oh Ferndanda Why" by Arthur Russell on my mix, so I'm glad it lives on! You have some of my favorite bands on here - Go-Betweens, Modern Lovers, Gary Numan, Magazine. So great to hear Fun Boy Three again - it's been years! Thanks for an epic comp!

Wes said...

Thank you, Abby. I started to order Lonesome Crow, but decided that I want to try and find it on vinyl. There are a couple of great used record stores here. One of them will have it. I also signed up for the recommendations list from Aquarius Records. What a great resource. It's perfect that you mention Cat Power. I booked shows in Cincinnati years ago and Cat Power came through and played a perfect set. I'd heard stories about her difficult shows, but this wasn't one of them. She was breathtaking. I bought a copy of What Would The Community Think after asking her what was her favorite among her records. I'm going to look for a vinyl copy of Our Blood when I go looking for the Scorpions. Thank you again for your follow up. I'm still really enjoying your mix.

Geoffrey G. said...

The Germs! rise up punk nation, lets MOSH PIT!
Not sure about the length, but all worth while tracks. Lots of guitars with energy.

Doug said...

Wow. After listening to the first two tracks, unlike Wes, I feared this one would be rough going for my oh-so-genteel ears.

But crikey – Vertebrats, Los Dug Dugs, Mikal Cronin, Richard Buckner, Ted Lucas – all new to me, and all fantastic. And The National Gallery is one of the strangest and most wonderful discoveries The Prodge has served up yet. And those were just the bands I'd never heard of. Great stuff!

Thanks, Abby. Dave Tibbs needs to get you on his radio show.

Gioia said...

Fun, fabulous mix. What an amazing collection. I particularly enjoyed the more mellow tracks toward the end. Now that I Know, Going Down the Road, Teetering. All beautiful and new discoveries for me. Great theme, title and cover. Thanks Abby!

Karl said...

Hard to go wrong with a deep cut from the Scorps to start out, and it just keeps getting awesomer from there! Lots of great new-to-me stuff, and a pleasant surprise to get the new Mikal Cronin track - I didn't even realize there was a new one coming. [Abby - Aquarius Records is a favorite of mine, too - and I second the greatness of their weekly list, though it has forced me to part with plenty of cash over the past couple of years, sending weird records to Chicago.....]

Beth said...

Thanks for this mix -- nice and long with lots of stuff to chew on. The first several tracks are bit noisy for this pop-loving girl, but I found lots to love in the later tracks. "Octopus" is a great tune -- love that Syd Barrett quirkiness. And I enjoyed hearing the Kinks with the horn section in Acute Schizo...it had almost the feel of a Band song. Loved the Vertebrats tune as well -- a friend of mine turned me on to them recently. And I've been a Richard Buckner fan for many years, and agree that his live performances are amazing. Finally, so wonderful to hear Neil's guitar backing up Elyse -- I hadn't heard this yet. What a find. So, yeah, great work!

xtina said...

Holy Batsh!t, Abby, this mix is CRAZY good!

Van B said...

I didn't teeter at all listening to this collection, just kept turning up the volume. "I'm Going Mad" took me right back to my high school years, working at a record store, and spinning one metal LP after another whenever the boss stepped away. The Young Marble Giants tune is an especially tasty treat. I continue to be impressed with how well Gary Numan has held up over the years.

Jeanne-Marie said...

I really like how teetering reminds me of the ever memorable “Better than a tranquilizer” which opened with Pentagram. Teeting has that fierce opening, wanders off to the murky waters of Syd Barrett and Daniel J (doesn't Bright Eyes sound like him?) and after clearing your head, lets you know “It's OK”.

It's Ok, is like being at a party in college and hearing your friends' band play in the basement and go on – and on, and everyone is drinking beer and cheering them for in all their familiar imperfection. The good old days, certainly.

I know its a double mix, and the second half is something else with jangly pop songs, mixed with folk or weirdness and of a certain density that takes some time to fully absorb, but our hostess wants those comments out now dammit ! Again though the variations really bring back the beloved "Tranquilizer" Thanks Abby

Tim Carroll said...

Like you, I do love The Crazy People. At least, I love The Crazy People when they're making art and music, and not running countries, banks, and armies. Those fuckers need to be put away.

"Octopus" and "She Cracked" are two of my all-time big, big, biggest favorites ever. Try as I might, I've been unable to NOT include those two on countless mix tapes aver the decades. And Daniel Johnston is right behind those two mixed-up maestros. Have I mentioned the ten or so times I've seen Jonathan?The man makes me cry with joy every single show. Daniel is less consistent. Last time I saw Daniel perform, here in Austin, he seemed pretty Thorazined. My Gal Pal Val remembers Daniel as a skinny, energetic, fun-lovin' dude in love with Glass Eye's Kathy McCarty, back in the 80s. Ch-ch-ch-changes.

Thanks for The Germs and The Young Marble Giants. And Blue Cheer -- the first band played by the legendary KSAN. I have to confess that this is the first Scorpions song that I've ever heard! Surprisingly cool. Very Sabbath-y in places. Thanks for the education. Fully a third of these songs are new to me, and I dig 'em all. Right on, Sister Man!

To Jeanne-Marie: Bright Eyes does sound a bit like Daniel. Cool observation!

Tim Carroll said...

Forgot to mention how much I dig that you stuck some Fun Boy Three in this mix, Abby. (Love their Thatcher-dissing take on Dylan's Maggie's Farm, too.)

With The Specials out on the road again in 2013 it's fun to remember what a relief it was to have a GOOD band rise from the Specials' splinters. Two band, actually -- Special AKA did some good art, too.

fritz said...

very behind in commenting I'm afraid so everything I really liked in this mix has already been raved over... regardless-- totally psyched to have appearances from the Fuzztones, those crazy Monks, Syd, Los Dug Dugs, Gary Numan, and Dead Moon all stumbling into each other here. Great fun!

During my brief stint on college radio we would occasionallly play "The Lunatics..." 33rpm at 45rpm, 45rpm at 33rpm, and just a straight 33 all at the same time until the station manager would call to threaten us with suspensions. Ah, youth!

Danny Lee said...

Scorpions - heaviest track ever in the Prodge? Nope, that would be the Blue Cheer track. Big, oily slabs of rock, both of 'em! "Oh Fernanda Why" and "Houses" are two of my favorite tracks this year. Beautiful melodies.
Abby, you rocked this one.

C.Fry said...

Teetering indeed. A word and a mix that sums up the state of my mid-life crisis. Caroming from moment to moment with barely a second to breath and decide what I want to do with the next moment when all the while the decision has already been made. I thought about jumping to track 14 but stayed the coarse. Well worth it, Modern Lovers, the Kinks, and then Syd Barrett. bravo.

Toby said...

Somehow the teetering aspect of Elyse was especially moving, swirling me round, spinning me down, like a broken bicycle that still gets you cross town.

Kevin Seidel said...

I'm late to the looney bin here - but dug a lot of these tracks. A lot of 'em had me laughing out loud at work w/ my headphones on. That Scorpions song is like a Sabbath outtake invaded by a crazed German shopkeeper. The Monks had to be high when they came up with their tune. Gary Numan had some fun with that one, and didn't seem to take himself as seriously as I remember him doing most of the time. And that Modern Lovers song just made my radar in the last month from a "greatest hits" thing I got from them. Other than that, it was the only song I'd heard before.

Good mix o' nuts Abbeynormal.

alix said...

WHOA....I'm late to the party here, but so glad I showed up. SO MUCH craziness going on here (and in a good way!). Tons of "new to me" discoveries (The National Gallery, Vertebrats, Los Dug Dugs, Ted Lucas.....) I'm looking forward to exploring more. Thanks Abby!!!