Date:January 19, 2009
Miracler:
Abby Bridge
Location:
San Francisco
Mix is here.
About this week’s Mix
What a mind-blowing week we’re kicking off here, on a zillion levels. So what a fabulous time to launch this rather mind-blowing mix that Abby Bridge has brought us. I won’t even hint at who or what is on this compilation, but here’s a clue: as I typed the track list into iTunes, the AutoFill feature was rendered useless. As for who our Miracler is and what makes her tick, we’ll let the music do the talking.
My Musical History: A Few Fun Facts
by Abby Bridge
First concert with family:
Waylon Jennings, somewhere in Los Angeles, 1978? I fell asleep after a few songs.
First concert with friends:
The Waitresses at Skate Palace in Laguna Niguel, Calif., 1981
First LP purchased:
Eagles Greatest Hits, 1980 (a "Super Saver" for sure). My stepdad counseled me against this choice and succeeded in convincing me not to buy Tusk by Fleetwood Mac at the same time. "That's a terrible album. Are you sure you want to spend all of your savings on that!?" Yes, really, I did.
First 7" purchased:
Working in the Coalmine by Devo from the Heavy Metal Soundtrack, 1981. The cover art kind of freaked me out and I still haven't seen the movie.
First cassette purchased:
Waxworks and Beeswax by XTC, 1982
I have no memory of the first CD I purchased or the 1st song I downloaded. Who cares?
Most horrible musical moment:
Having to do a dance routine to Kenny Loggins' Footloose with one other girl in front of my entire 8th grade PE class. Excruciating.
Best musical courtship:
19 mix tapes from my boyfriend for my 19th birthday. For anyone young enough to have never made a mix tape, the difference between compiling a 90 min. cassette and a 90 min. ipod mix is akin to the difference between building a rocketship and changing a bike tire (or something like that). It was a time of slow miracles and I was impressed.
Sole attempt at musical performance:
Lead singer for The Administration, an LBJ themed-band formed for a talent show held at the Austin State [Mental] Hospital. Songs: Lady Bird, Robert McNamara, Guns vs. Butter, etc. We won! In the 6 weeks of the band's existence we also played a baby shower, a laundromat, and a "Root Beer Festival" organized by some junior high kids.
Some banal brushes with fame:
1978 or 1979? Was on a flight to New York with Alice Cooper. I still have a vivid mental image of the band picking up their luggage off the carousel at JFK – a storm of long black hair, cut-offs, knee-high tube socks and crazy laughter. I was fascinated and a little scared.
1991 Went to a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds signing at Rough Trade and asked Blixa Bargeld to sign a thrift-store t-shirt that said "Tame the Pain." Response: "TAME THE PAIN! FUCK IT!" – proceeded to scribble all over shirt with a silver marker.
1992? Spent an afternoon trying to fix the cash register at Le Panier bakery in Portland with my co-worker Elliott Smith, sandwich maker.
1995? Exchanged glances with Beck, in line at Marsee Baking in the Portland Airport at 6 am. Foggily realized that I recognized him because he's a rockstar, got embarrassed, and looked away. We ate our baked goods alone in a sea of empty tables.
12 comments:
This maybe my favorite. Putting Pentagram AND Aphrodite's Child on one compilation -- that's nuts.
I love these notes!
My first album was a very mature choice for an 11 year old as well - "JT", certainly nothing I would have thought to note on 3mpm, I appreciate your candor.
How could any moment spent with Blixa be banal?
Glad you like the mix, Greg! It's basically just a bunch of songs I get in my head lately (clearly, my head is a messy place) and it sounded alright to me, but when I typed up the track list for Kelly, I felt like a bit of a misanthrope - so many detested genres, so little pop. I blame the cold dark days of mid-January and all you other Miraclers for using so many amazing songs!
Glad you like the music-bio notes, Jeanne-Marie! I did the self-survey in hopes that others would share their responses to the same questions. Please?
Also, I just realized Ghost Rider already made an appearance on Derek Marrero's mix. Sorry for the repeat! But it's so good...
Wow! So many things to say...you do a masterful job of bringing together disparate sounds and making them sound, not seamless, but synchronous, even synergistic. Taste really is the most original maker of life. And, it seems, I dig your taste.
And I was very happy to see Moondog—now, I don't have to put it on mine.
And: while I know some things here, there are some astounding unknown treats for which I am enormously appreciative. That Selma: wowzer.
And then: thanks.
Hey Abby,
Nice mix. I particularly liked the White Witch & Sandy Denny. (What do you get when you cross Angel Witch & White Magic?)
I notice that no-one has taken you up on your request for answers to your questions. So...
(1) First concert with family:
Earliest I can remember was O.C. Smith. My dad complained to the band that the music was too loud. An ongoing theme in my life.
I gotta say, my masculinity is feeling threatened by all of these 3MPMP chicks with a taste for heavy metal. Thank god the Pentagram song was at least acoustic.
White Witch, Aphrodite's Child, Dr. Strangely Strange, Wooden Wand - all new to me. (You have an older brother, right?) And Fred Neil - now I guess I have to buy everything he ever recorded. Thanks, Abby!
Thanks for all the kind words!
Daniel - nice to hear you found some synergy and worthy discoveries in the mix. I vote for more Moondog and definitely encourage you to seek out more Selda.
Sam - White Magic was actually in the lineup at one point. Maybe I should've pursued the witchy theme further. I like the O.C. Smith story. Did the band comply and turn it down? Did anyone ever tell your dad, "If it's too loud, you're too old!" I used to think that t-shirt was kind of funny, but now I'm probably on the wrong side of the equation.
Doug - Yes, I have an older brother, but he's never really been interested in music. I think years of hippy school folk singalongs and a couple summers spent listening to my stepdad's record collection imprinted me with an attraction to late 60s / early 70s sounds that I'll probably never shake. Good to know Fred Neil is appreciated. I love his voice and don't understand why his songs were only made hits by others.
I doubt know if OC Smith turned down the music. It's one of my earliest memories, & kinda fuzzy. Loud is over-rated -- it's like Serve Wine Cold. Ironically, as an adult I developed an ear disease, one symptom of which is hyperacousis -- sounds abnormally hurt my ears.
I think my first music show w/ friends was the J Geils Band -- when they were still bluesy. With the Jon Butcher Axis.
Catchin up w/things...
diggin' thee mix & appropriated Environments quotables graphic.
"I did the self-survey in hopes that others would share their responses to the same questions. Please?"
say no moe...
First concert with family:
probably a classical one, chamber string quartet, but my dad DID take me to see Laurie Anderson on the Mister Heartbreak tour, he took me to a free Sun Ra concert in the old Central Park bandshell in the early 80's as well.
First concert with friends:
free one: Summer Fest at SUNY New Paltz Collage (the collage near where I was going to high school) featuring Psychedelic Furs, "Love My Way" was out, it was outside in the blazing sun, the pale band did not seem so happy 'bout that, other performers later I think were Burning Spear & Johnny Winter, I left after the Furs.
First show I payed for with friends, Talking Heads at The Cape Cod Civic Center, Speaking in Tongues tour, I was ecstatic.
First LP purchased:
Grateful Dead @ Mars Hotel, probably 1978 or so, loved the Sci Fi graphics, also, my older sibling (note a sister, Doug) was a big Deadhead.
First 7" purchased:
Our Lips Are Sealed - Go Gos... yup
First cassette purchased:
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure....
Most horrible musical moment:
Bad Jazz with the folks, re:really cheesy keyboard & fretless duo in fancy restaurant, & knowing my folks were paying too much money...
Best musical courtship:
First girlfriend showing me the ropes while watching (or at least hearing) The Girl Cant Help It.
Sole attempt at musical performance:
It shouldda been sole a long time ago, would have speared myself & many others...
Some banal brushes with fame:
Saw Eurythmics Dave Stewart @ fore mentioned Laurie Anderson show's audience
Saw Lou Reed in two different movie theaters over the years
& have talked online with Ann Magnunson & Chris Cutler.
& chatted w/Hans-Joachim Roedelius in person
Hung out with Eugene Chadborne & Jimmy Carl Black & members of Faust.
That Pentagram song is probably my favorite song of the new year - Thanks!!!
The Fairways track is heaven-sent on the first afternoon of Spring!
Post a Comment