Date:January 5, 2009
Miracler:
Matthew Jacobson
Location:
Detroit
Mix is here.
About today's Miracler, by today's Miracler:
As a magician and mind-reader Matthew has performed on stage as the opening act for musicians such as Tiny Tim, The Magnetic Fields, RuPaul, Momus, A Girl Called Eddy, and more. Inspired by the Serge Gainsbourg song "Initials B.B." (for Brigitte Bardot) and as a lover of games, puzzles, and a good challenge, Matthew turned this project into one. The rules were simple: Each artists' first and last name needed to start with the same letter (or in the case of a band, the first and second words needed to start with the same letter). And all 26 letters of the alphabet needed to be represented.
PS, by Your Hostess
Special thanks to Matthew for the magic trick he pulled off for us last week in sharing a couple of fab bonus holiday tracks from the record label he founded. To quote Daniel Coffeen upon checking out their site: “This to me is the apogee of pop.” Fancy words!
4 comments:
Inexplicably, Kahimi Karie now officially qualifies for the next edition of Trend Watch!
Matthew, I don't know how you did it, but the impossibly tiny box you built for yourself is a joy to listen to. And Gil Scott-Heron, look out! Jack Jones is ON FIRE!!!!
What a treat to have a set of treats almost none of which I know! I'm a sucker for that 80s CBGBish sound of the Yeah Yeah Noh; Dave Derby fuckin' rocks!; I dig on that smarty, luscious sound of In Interview; the Vicious Vicious sounds great—and, well, Kahimi Karie always sounds good to me. That album you put out—KKKK—ranks very, very high in my personal canon. So, needless to say, thanks.
That was New Wave. My fave was the FF (w/JB). (She leaned over me at the UK Film Fest in Dinard France 2004 -- degrees of sep.) & JJ was the biggest surprise. Thanks!
Matthew, I'd add "tightrope walker" to your list of avocations. This is one hi-risk, net-free proposition you've taken on here! And lawdy, the results are fun.
There's so much here, I'm still really getting acquainted with it all. But have already multi-played the "I don't wanna dance" Eddy Grant cover—that song always deserved a second life. And every time the Everybody Else song comes on, I think "oooh, David Cassidy!" In the best of ways.
So far, the front half of the alphabet has been a joy. Moving on to the later letters now, but taking my sweet time to savor it.
Post a Comment