Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gender Studies

Date
May 29, 2013

Miracler
Karl Eifrig

Location
Illinois

Pornographic illustrations aside,
Karl Eifrig, the second of our one-two punch of Miracling Eifrig Bros, knows how to craft a mighty fine mix, as he did in Jan. 12 with A Little Burst of Energy.

Stuff you said about that:
I really didn't want to shovel the driveway today. So I listened to this mix, got all amped up and shoveled, like, 8 driveways. I thank you and my neighbors than you.    I've been trying very hard to resist commenting, before I have listened to this a couple times, but it's hard cause this burst has a lot of sweetness!     Super dead-on mix. Even the newer songs take me back to a certain time. Back to a time of spontaneous dance parties that'd knock over the furniture and spill beer all over on the carpet-- but only in the best possible way.     Lots of stuff here that's new to me, including the very likable Mikal Cronin. It's good to be reminded of the great Joe Jackson. Nice mix! Entertaining and informative liner notes. Thanks, Karl!     Nicely edited mix; tickled the nostalgia button well without going overboard (although I think I want my Vapors LP back...) She Shelia would be the perfect "putting together a caper" music for a summer teen romp. We can work up a treatment soon I hope.     Good call on the Vapors. Text book case of a band poorly served by a misunderstood novelty song. Good Jam-y power pop.     Super fun mix, Karl. I haven't heard much of this, so it's been really cool to experience it. Favorites for me, I think, are The Producers and Gentlemen Jesse. Yeah!     Just queued this up on this sunny San Francisco day and it's on its third rotation. I love this stuff, all catchy, punchy and mostly new to me. Thanks Karl for introducing me to The Busy Signals, Sultans, Flake Music and the local lad Cronin.Infectious foot-stompers. Great liner notes too.     Thanks for the Flake Music / Shins history lesson. Totally loved 'Submarines'! Do I hear echoes of Flop there?     Prodigious slabs of power pop, Karl. The Mikal Cronin instantly got me. Never heard of the guy. Love the shortest tunes - Sultans, Busy Signals, Gentleman Jesse. The crashing guitars with the sweet, soaring vocals. They all do 1979 proud.     Nicely focused mix. It's like a heavy dose of caffeine. I keep getting carried away and break out into annoying desktop drumming. Just one of the new-to-me highlights: Busy Signals = excellent.     A very tight little mix, Karl. Thank you. (It helps having a cool older brother, doesn't it?) And now I must be going—for some reason, I have an uncontrollable desire to listen to my old Plimsouls records.     Get along - possibly my favorite song of the new year!     This is so up my alley, it really sounds like me (having a ball) DJing at my favorite pub back in Madrid --except of course, for the amazing couple of tracks I didn't know! Welcome Karl, thanks for an amazing mix!

What's he brung us for 2013? Read on/listen in. 

Liner Notes by KE
I had the idea for this mix a while ago – going boy-girl-boy-girl with song titles. Songs would pop into my head and I’d think, “That’d be perfect,” then promptly forget ‘em. As I was getting a list together, Ray’s excellent “13 Songs About Girls” mix came out and I felt challenged to do my best. I got my mix in tasty shape, then went to double-check it against the previously prodged songs, which resulted in stuff like “Taste of Cindy,” “Lloyd, I’m Ready to Be Heartbroken,” and “Julie’s In the Drug Squad” being nixed due to the good taste of my fellow prodgers. What we have here is surely just the tip of the iceberg as far as this idea could go, but I hope you find it enjoyable.


The Equals - Michael and His Slipper Tree
            Just try and not have this stuck in your head for hours.

Slade – Gudbuy T’Jane
It’s always freaked me out that Slade were as huge as they were (across the pond, at least) – as much as I love Noddy Holder’s vocals, I can’t imagine him as a pop idol. 

The Figgs – Simon Simone
Stick with me for a while, and you’ll find that a few bands seem to creep onto every mix I make. The Figgs are one of those bands, so even if you don’t share my obsession, I hope you’ll enjoy this number.

Art Brut – Emily Kane
Cute and weird song that seems appropriate for the age of Googling high school crushes to see if they’ve gotten as odd-looking as we have. As frontman Eddie Argos says in the leadoff track on their debut album, “yes, this is my singing voice.”

The Vapors – Jimmie Jones
What was that I said about certain bands making repeat appearances on my mixes?

Smoking Popes – Megan
Chicago boys who almost made it big, the Popes made little pop masterpieces, slightly punked up and sung in a croon by the leader, who ended up finding Christ and retiring for a while. This is from their big major-label debut and makes me smile.


Wavves – Linus Spacehead
I was torn about including this one, since it violates the idea that the songs should have the proper name not only in the title but also in the lyrics, but it felt so right that I couldn’t send it packing. From “King of the Beach,” which is a good (but hyper) headphone album fer sher.

The Need – Rim Me Isabella
This one just had to be included, since I have a 13-year old’s sense of humor. The best two-woman-circus-prog-metal-dyke-power band you’ll hear this week, I guarantee.

Magnetic Fields – Reno Dakota
Stephen Merritt’s been appearing frequently on the prodge for the past few months, but that’s because he writes such great songs. This one seemed like a wonderful way to bring us back to a more stripped-down feel, which leads us to:

Trio – Anna Letmein Letmeout
            Of course.

Led Zeppelin – Poor Tom
A deep cut from Coda. Surely a trifle by anyone’s standards, but I could listen to Bonham rock that groove for hours.

John Grant – Sigourney Weaver
I felt like celebrity names was also kind of cheating, but this song is too good not to share. The story I heard is that he went to record this album (“Queen of Denmark”) with Midlake, and they introduced him to the works of Bread, which made him say, “That’s the sound.” Pretty successful, I’d say.

Soft Boys – Mr. Kennedy
Again, kind of cheating, especially since this doesn’t even feature a first name, but this is one of the songs that led to this mix, and it’s so beautiful that I couldn’t help it. The appearance of Mr. Hitchcock and the gang on so many recent mixes also encouraged me.

Lower Dens – Rosie
            A nice mellow way to get to the (almost) end of our journey.

Bonus track: Honorable Mentions


Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox. Make sure you come back and comment! To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

19 comments:

Ethan Prater said...

I love that it's okay to include Led Zeppelin. Opens my mind to many more possibilities for my next mix!

Unknown said...

A really fun concept for a mix and well done. I especially liked The Figgs and Soft Boys. And who wouldn't like a song named for Sigourney Weaver? Great mashup on Honorable Mentions (especially Bonnie & Clyde by Luna. I think that would be worthy of including the whole track.) Thanks.

Jeanne-Marie said...

I don't like to comment before I have heard all of the mix, but this list looks fantastic. And I don't know a lot of these folks. I am only at Art Brut, and that song is Bri-ish perfection. I did not know I liked a song by Slade, or that, that was their song. You are right, they never had the impact here. Might be time for a first real look at them.

I also love the ambitiousness of putting the old young and the new young songs together in this seamless way.

The theme and title are what really got me.
Thanks Karl!

Wes said...

Wow Karl, you were right about The Equals cut. I can't get it out of my head. It's like one of the good Monkees songs. And how wonderful to see Slade in the mix. Noddy Holder always gave me hope that I too could be a rock star. It didn't work out, but I still thank Noddy for the hope. I think the Figgs cut might have stuck in my head as long as The Equals. What a great guitar sound. I really liked the Vapors cut too. This mix could easily have been called "super cool guitar sounds". Fantastic. I guess in the case of Magnetic Fields, it would have to be called "super cool banjo sounds". That's another great cut. Stephin Merritt occasionally does shows in Seattle, but there must be some sort of secret club that finds out about them first because they sell out in minutes. It's amazing. I'm also really happy to see Poor Tom. I've become obsessed with Led Zeppelin and I gratefully thank Fritz for that. This is a great song. The John Grant cut has such a wonderful, sweeping epic feel to it. It took me back to my favorite 70s bands. I have a feeling that I'll be going to Sonic Boom to pick up this record in the coming days. And a tip of the hat to Robyn Hitchcock. A great songwriter and a great cut. He's amazing. The Honorable Mentions cut is magical. What a perfect way to end this mix. Very well done, Karl. Thank you.

Melissa said...

I just started listening to the mix this morning, but I have to comment because that Equals song ALREADY is stuck in my head. And it has been...all...morning...long. Also that Figgs song reminds of a lot of stuff I listened to in junior high. I can just see their name written in black marker on many a denim binder.

fritz said...

Ohrwurms galore in this mix starting right at the get-go, and nicely paced as well as sequenced (I thought the Trio-Zep juxtaposition was pretty inspired).

In the new-to-me bin the Art Brut track was very catchy clever and Linus Spacehead did work well on the headphones.

Props for including Toto, Ram Jam, and Urge in the Bonus. It all goes to demonstrate why you're the smarter, funnier, and better looking Widgeon Brother!

Van B said...

Great mix, and oddly disturbing and funny cover. There is not a single weak song on this mix, and the Lower Dens track is a great new find for me.

Sam K. said...

Consistent tone & some good didn't-have tunes. Nice to hear a good Trio song that's not on a VW TV ad. The Equals was inter-racial '60s mod soul bubblegum austen powers psychedelic rock band featuring Anglo-Guyanan Eddie Grant. Recorded the original police on my back, w/ nice solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E5aF_rdX9Q

And Eddy Grant of course the early 80s pop classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

Thanks for sharing, Karl!

Beth said...

"Honorable Mentions" is brilliant -- but that classic KISS homage to my namesake is conspicuously absent! (although, fun fact: "Beth" was originally "Beck" -- the real wife's name was Becky -- but they changed it to Beth). I haven't listened to the rest of this mix yet but I love the concept -- I hope to have more to add to the comments soon.

Beth said...

Wow -- what a great mix! One of my favorite things about being in this group is being reminded of music that I'd forgotten about. This month it's Trio -- I love their, well, just their German-ness. Thanks!

Doug said...

Love this mix, top to bottom. Too many great songs to call out, but special mention goes to Sigourney Weaver. Not the best track among these jewels, but the most surprising. And the Honorable Mentions, as mentioned above, was a master stroke.

Okay, I can't help myself – Robyn Hitchcock!

Danny Lee said...

Simone Simone is the catchiest thing I've heard in a long time. Really like hearing British accents in songs. Art Brut delivers. And Wavves is just a huge ol' sonic wave.

xtina said...

Things so far today that made me laugh harder than Honorable Mentions:

(I'm just back from overseas, so I'm late to this AMAZING new Eifrig offering. Brilliant!)

Kelly Niland said...

Whoa: It's been two weeks and I still can't get past MICHAEL AND HIS SLIPPER TREE
SLIPPER TREE
SLIPPER TREE

You are keerect on your prediction there, Jr. Eifrig!

As an aside, when I dug deeper and learned the identity of the lead singer, I lost a $100K bet to Jeanne-Marie Greiner. How did she guess EDDIE GRANT on the first try?!

Karl said...

Kelly, to be fair to you, I don't believe Mr. Grant was the lead singer. He played guitar and was the principal songwriter, but Derv Gordon was the frontman. Maybe you can get $50 back?

ST said...

Catching up after a while away. Loving this mix, end to end. "Mr. Kennedy" is actually one of my answers to a question Mr. Bramfitt posted on the prodge page - something like what song had you used so much on mixes that you eventually had to stop. Got to the Honorable Mentions, laughed so hard I dropped my Manhattan, almost drove off the road.

Gioia said...

Thanks for reminding me how much I love the Magnetic Fields. I need some quality time with 69 Love Songs. Very enjoyable mix. My faves would be Trio and John Grant. Love the Soft Boys tune! Thank you.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Wow, I have a new favorite song, that is until it drives me crazy from repetition...Michael and his slipper tree, slipper tree, slipper tree.

Way cool mix and theme. New to me and major faves include Art Brut, The Figgs, John Grant and the Soft Boys. Love their mix of catchy pop with a big guitar finish.

Thanks in particular Karl for the introduction to The Equals. I now have Baby Come Back in my library. I haven't heard that tune in decades.

C.Fry said...

Karl - I've really come to love this mix. It took awhile, but I keep going back to it. Particularly the Wavves and the Magnetic Fields. Thanks for those.