Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Little Burst of Energy

Date
January 18, 2012

Miracler
Karl Eifrig

Location
Illinois

What's better than having a big-hearted smart music-loving Eifrig in the Prodge?

How about two? If the last name is familiar to you Pop Miracle vets, it's because Karl is Fritz' younger brother, aka the 10-year-old boy Your Hostess occasionally glimpsed in the background of the Eifrig house, back in the after-school fridge-raiding Hoosier days of yore. Now Karl is a man, a man who brings us this mix of adreno-pop (I just made that up!) which I predict will be cranked high and often by many of us. Thanks Mr. Eifrig 2, and welcome to The Prodge. I think you'll do just fine here.


About KE by KE

A little about me: I’m a product of the greater Chicagoland area, having grown up in Northwest Indiana. As a kid, I had the good fortune to have older siblings with good musical taste, so I got to have my mind blown by the “Urgh! A Music War” soundtrack when I was in 5th grade. After that, it was all about Gary Numan, Devo, Heaven 17, Wall of Voodoo, and OMD for me. Once I hit high school, the hormones demanded that I listen to faster and louder stuff, but I never abandoned my love of a good pop melody. This brings us to the loose theme for my mix, which features pop songs played on electric guitars, fast and loud. I understand that this is only one kind of pop, and it’s not even the only kind I like - I adore The Carpenters completely unironically, but that’s not what I was going for here! I wanted to provide a jolt of caffeine to start out 2012 - which I desperately need, having just turned 40 on New Year’s Eve. Hope you like it!


Liner Notes


THE BEAT – Walking Out on Love

This one just strikes me as an ass-kicker of an opener – coming out of the gate with the chorus and never slowing down. It’s not the sort of well-crafted pop song with the perfect bridge and middle eight or anything – just two parts repeated a few times and then out. Exquisitely concise, in my book!

THE FIGGS – Favorite Shirt

These guys are my favorite lifers (I could easily do an entire Figgs mix if it were demanded). This is from their first album, when they were just totally going for it – they had a stint opening up for The Knack on this tour, then they got on Capitol and did one album before getting dropped. Rather than packing it in, they just kept going out of a pure love of playing music. Since then, there have been a ton of great albums and a few tours as Graham Parker’s band, and they just keep playing. Inspirational!

GENERATION X – From the Heart

Probably considered totally fake punks, since they weren’t smashing any systems – just playing high-energy pop and trying to be rock stars. Only Billy Idol really accomplished that goal, but he turned into a bit of a turd as a result. At least we have the phenomenal first album to remind us how great it is to be young and in love with rock and roll.

THE BUSY SIGNALS – Uh-Oh

This is where we get a little meta. This was a group of young ‘uns in Chicago a few years ago who were obsessed with the obscure power pop bands of the 70’s and 80’s that released a handful of singles and maybe an LP, then disappeared into the ether. In keeping with that spirit, The Busy Signals released a handful of singles and an LP, then disappeared into the ether. This is from that LP, and is a cover of one of those obscure bands – The Limit.

THE VAPORS – News at Ten

Perhaps unfairly known only for Turning Japanese (which is undeniably a great song, though a tad overplayed by now) and therefore considered something of a novelty, their New Clear Days LP is full of fantastic songs (it’s one of those albums that I run across all the time whilst record shopping, and I always wish I didn’t have it, just so I could buy it again). This song has been one of my favorites since I was a pimply lil’ lad.

GENTLEMAN JESSE & HIS MEN – I Don’t Wanna Know (Where You Been Tonight)

Another of today’s youth who do a nice job of creating well-crafted power pop in a respectful but non-slavish imitation of the folks who did it first.

BUZZCOCKS – You Say You Don’t Love Me

These guys are the cream of the crop for creating guitar-based punk pop songs, as far as I’m concerned. Smart and tasteful, with a killer rhythm section and ingenious lyrics. This isn’t really one of their high-energy tunes, but I thought I’d go with a bit of deep cut and get a little sappy, partly in anticipation of the next track.

THE PRODUCERS – She Sheila

And now we get to the top of the mountain of cheese. This is about as embarrassing as it gets for me – I just can’t resist its charms! It could totally be the soundtrack to a “let’s fix up this old shack my grandma left me and turn it into a cool club” montage scene in a crappy 80’s movie, but it’s so well done, with everyone playing their asses off and selling it. I hope this doesn’t offend anyone’s sensibilities, but I also hope that someone else hears it for the first time and is as floored as I was when I first ran across it a few years ago (thanks, VH1 Classic!).

JOE JACKSON – One More Time

And then there’s Joe to provide the antithesis of the previous track’s treacle. Where The Producers’ singer was pining for a lass who didn’t know he existed, Joe chronicles the bitterness at the end of a relationship. I first heard this song years ago when a band called Pop Sickle (ex-Coffin Break [Anyone? Anyone?]) covered it. I think they were sort of bummed when I singled that song out of their set as my jam, since I didn’t know it wasn’t one of theirs.

THE SULTANS – Try To Forget You

This one seemed like a natural transition – the same topic, the same sort of stabbing clean guitar line, the same sort of minor key anger, just 25 years later. This is one of the many side projects of John Reis (aka Speedo of Rocket from the Crypt) - their Shipwrecked LP is a dynamite breakup album for listening to whilst wallowing in your misery, should you ever find yourself in need of such a thing.

THE MARKED MEN – A Little Time

One of my favorite bands of the past 10 years, these Denton, TX lads don’t blaze any trails, but put a lot of care and style into their songwriting. There are usually lots of little touches that make the songs special, whether it’s in the arrangement or a simple unexpected chord change. Highly recommended (and tied to the previous entry by virtue of this album’s being on Swami Records, which is John Reis’ own label).

SCARED OF CHAKA – Wanna Make It Happen

Another long-time favorite, this is the band in which Dave Hernandez cut his teeth as a leader before going on to become a member of The Shins for several years. SOC albums vacillate between full-on pop punk songs and blown-out trashy garage rock. This is definitely what passes for one of their slow numbers, so be warned if you find yourself looking for more like this on an album of theirs. Those songs are out there (their self-titled LP has a great cover of Elvis Costello’s “Hand In Hand”), but they primarily play it fast and sloppy.

FLAKE MUSIC – Submarines

This is included as a sort of history lesson that may be of interest to fans of The Shins, as this is the band that went on to become The Shins after James Mercer (who was pretty much the only member) left Albuquerque for Portland. This one’s a cover of a Scared of Chaka song, and can be found on a split 7” with them (which includes a Flake Music song called “The Shins” – weird, right?), and its dirty, crummy production is interesting in light of the lovely shimmeriness that Mercer would go on to create. I happen to love the song as well, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered you with it, of course.

MIKAL CRONIN – Get Along

I wasn’t sure if this fit the loose theme of my mix, since it’s played on acoustic guitar, but it was my favorite song of 2011, so I had to put it on here. You Bay-area folks may well be sick of hearing about him by now, but his self-titled LP that came out last year is really quite good.

Mix is UP. Same password as last week (also in your email today)
.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

24 comments:

fritz said...

I thought there'd be more of your sucky Devo music.

Looking forward to grabbing this later today!

Jeanne-Marie said...

I've been trying very hard to resist commenting, before I have listened to this a couple times, but it's hard cause this burst has a lot of sweetness!

Running back to "Wanna Make it Happen" and "A little bit of time"

I haven't heard of Mikal either and I digging this song - it fits on here perfectly.

Welcome to the greatness of 3mpm Karl, and thanks for this super fun power pop mix!!

fritz said...

Couple thoughts:

Nicely edited mix; tickled the nostalgia button well without going overboard (although I think I want my Vapors LP back...)

She Shelia would be the perfect "putting together a caper" music for a summer teen romp. We can work up a treatment soon I hope.

Of the new-to-me tracks my favorite is Submarines with A Little Time close behind. Elsewhere, you've reminded me that I need to get the Sultans and the Busy Signals back into the rotation tout de suite!

lauren said...

Lots of stuff here that's new to me, including the very likable Mikal Cronin. It's good to be reminded of the great Joe Jackson. Nice mix! Entertaining and informative liner notes. Thanks, Karl!

Mike said...

Nice!

Shades of Down in the Tube Station at Midnight in that Vapors song...

Surprised to see some familiar names from my youth in Albuquerque near the end...!

Kellen said...

I really didn't want to shovel the driveway today. So I listened to this mix, got all amped up and shoveled, like, 8 driveways. I thank you and my neighbors than you.

ST said...

Great mix of favorite stuff, and forgotten favorite stuff, and newer stuff, and new-to-me stuff. And I'm happy to second Mike's ABQ shoutout.

Welcome to the prodge!

Owen said...

Good call on the Vapors. Text book case of a band poorly served by a misunderstood novelty song. Good Jam-y power pop.

Karl said...

Great to be here, everyone - thanks for having me! Thanks also for the kind words. I'm glad that I helped so many driveways get shoveled, and also that I could do my part to promote ABQ punkers. Either of you know a young lady named Whitney? She moved to Albuquerque from Houston when I lived in H-Town (circa 1993), and was a friend of the Chaka lads (and helped my band secure the opening spot on the SOC reunion show here in Chicago a few years ago).

Tim Carroll said...

The intro to Mikal Cronin's "Get Along" briefly reminds me of the Buzzcock's "Something Goes Wrong Again," and then there's that weirdy little distort-o guitar break. Sounds like the sax/organ blend six minutes into Traffic's "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys." Great song, Karl. /// Super dead-on mix. Even the newer songs take me back to a certain time. Back to a time of spontaneous dance parties that'd knock over the furniture and spill beer all over on the carpet-- but only in the best possible way.

Ray Welter said...

Super fun mix, Karl. I haven't heard much of this, so it's been really cool to experience it. Favorites for me, I think, are The Producers and Gentlemen Jesse.
Yea!

Ray Welter said...

Oh, and don't bother with Fritz' Devo comment. I would welcome them in any mix, any time!

Dave Tibbs said...

wow super fun mix!!!

fritz said...

RW- I was jut referencing this one time at band camp when Karl learned that people are dicks about music. I loves the spudboys.

Kevin Seidel said...

Nice stuff, though my mouse did indeed hover over the "forward" button during that Producers song, like a judge at the gong on the Gong Show. But I made it through, and feel better for it.

Standouts: Flake Music (wow, that's live!), Mikal, the Figgs.

Welcome!

Mark Ulriksen said...

Just queued this up on this sunny San Francisco day and it's on its third rotation. I love this stuff, all catchy, punchy and mostly new to me. Thanks Karl for introducing me to The Busy Signals, Sultans, Flake Music and the local lad Cronin.Infectious foot-stompers. Great liner notes too.

Danny Lee said...

Prodigious slabs of power pop, Karl. The Mikal Cronin instantly got me. Never heard of the guy. Love the shortest tunes - Sultans, Busy Signals, Gentleman Jesse.
The crashing guitars with the sweet, soaring vocals. They all do 1979 proud.

Ray said...

Fritz-
I figured as much.

peter b said...

Nicely focused mix. It's like a heavy dose of caffeine. I keep getting carried away and break out into annoying desktop drumming. Just one of the new-to-me highlights: Busy Signals = excellent.

Doug said...

A very tight little mix, Karl. Thank you. (It helps having a cool older brother, doesn't it?) And now I must be going—for some reason, I have an uncontrollable desire to listen to my old Plimsouls records.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Get along - possibly my favorite song of the new year!

pepe verde said...

Better late than never... Just wanted to say, this is so up my alley, it really sounds like me (having a ball) DJing at my favorite pub back in Madrid --except of course, for the amazing couple of tracks I didn't know!
Welcome Karl, thanks for an amazing mix!

pepe verde said...

BTW thanks for the Flake Music / Shins history lesson. Totally loved 'Submarines'! Do I hear echoes of Flop there?

Van B said...

This wonderful mix took me right back to high school and, midway through, I made a beeline for the basement to dig through boxes in search of my "News at Ten" and "Magnets" cassette tapes. Now if only I could find my walkman.

I saw the Producers open up for the Kinks in Louisville in the early eighties. If I remember correctly, they opened and closed their ten-song set with She Sheila, and got the crowd going pretty well.

Thanks much for the little burst of nostalgia, as well as the major burst of energy. Loved it from beginning to end.