DateJanuary 25, 2012
Miracler
Pete Kellen
Location
Milwaukee
Proof you'll dig this mix
Because you dug this one, to the tune of:
'Kellen mix =
1. Select all
2. Command-I
3. 5-star-rating
4. OK'
as well as 'I'm loving the liner notes and that's before I even get to the music,' 'Perfect deep thought stuff for me today', 'This mix is so dreamy and wonderful and it all goes, and goes so well together. Thanks for the mix—I love it!', 'Loving a bunch of these songs and the mix as a whole,' 'Pete Kellen, I love this mix,' 'Super groovy/mellow/cool. Lots of new-to-me stuff here—my fave kind fo mix,' 'Sublime!', 'This is fantastic,' X a zillion.
If that ain't enough to instill confidence in today's mixologist, you old-timers will recall Kellen Comes Alive, about which one sound-bite-making Miracler declared, "One of my all-time favorites, even if it does kinda bite mine, which comes out next week. There's no accounting for good taste...'
2009: The Leftovers, another commented-on mix about which one Miracler (okay, same quotey chick from above) decreed, 'Pete, this cements it: you are my musical soulmate.'
Then in 2011, Mr. Kellen pleased many with The Morning After, notably Quote Slut, who gushed, 'Well Pete, you did it again. You put together a mix of artists and songs that are even new to me! Now if only I can get access to your iTunes trove. Love the mix. Will most definitely be listening to it when I am all hungover and crawlign to BART trying to get back home.'
That girl clearly needs a new mix. Good thing Kellen won one of the 'Go First in Season 5' Sweepstakes slots. Today he's concocted one of Your Hostess' fave-Prodge-themes-ever. Check out what he's brought'n us.
Liner notes by PK
These are all artists I discovered through the magic of the world’s greatest iPhone app. I Shazam-ed everything from movie trailers (Kid Cudi) to TV commercials (Efterklang) to friends’ home videos (The Cave Singers). But my favorite is straining to hold my phone up to the speaker at a crowded bar (The Helio Sequence, Bibio) and making people think I’m a crazy person. Anyway, these artists were new to me. Maybe they’ll be new to you too. * I had to take creative liberties with the cover art because the actual Shazam logo is really boring.
Mix is UP. Same new password (also in your email today)
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
23 comments:
I used to find it a little creepy when I liked a song from a compilation from Urban Outfitters or something.
But then I realized that I'm forty and will probably die soon, so I got over it.
Wow, I don't know what I love more, this mix or the theme. Lots of these folks are new to me or barely known. (btw The Cave Singers have a really great song called Seeds of Night that should also be checked out.) Attention Bay Area locals: Fujiya & Miyagi (this song makes me go "Uh") are playing at the Independent on Mon 1/30 (also Eleanor Friedberger will be there 2/4) Nicely done, sir.
One listen-through response = tight. And I like the Kid Cudi/MGMT/Ratatat triumvirate, as it allows me to use the word "triumvirate", a very fun word indeed. Someone else had The Helio Sequence on their mix a few years ago - ah, Brian Emery - the song was the very fine "Can't Say No." Your efforts will definitely be going into heavy rotation whenever I heavily rotate. Thanks PK!
I'm really liking this, many new to me favoooooooorites. Radical face, The Cave Singers, Kid Cudi Albert Hammond, all good. Way to make random acts of wonder one solid mix.
REPTAR!
Never heard of 'em. Love 'em.
Feel kinda bad for my co-worker because I've played this song three times in a row. So far.
Amazing how well all of these songs go together. Thanks for sharing so many great discoveries.
nice, pete! great hearing the helio sequence. lots of new things to me: radical face, reptar, magic man. really good mix! thanks!
Thanks everyone (all 7 of you). I'm glad I could come up with 10 usable songs. Truth be told, I usually end up Shazaming songs I know I own but can't quite place. It saves me from going insane. Well, insaner.
Pete-- Really dig the opener. Always a sucker for a marching beat. Onward, onward, onward, onward to glory and/or the mess tent. That Cave Singers' song is flat-out beautiful. /// There's some rich info graphic possibilities in charting the reemergence of un-gnarly, harmonic singing in Rock of the Indie Stripe. How did we get from Nirvana to Fleet Foxes? Was it germinated in the warmth of the sun that was the rediscovery of Brian Wilson in the mid-90s? Any musicologists wanting to collaborate on some flow chart action, color me There. (Seriously.) /// Listening to most of this with new ears, while doing the dishes I hear MGMT and have no idea who's singing. Later, I Googled "Kid Cudi" and see "4.6 million digital singles sold." Old meat on a stick. Which is not always a bad thing: Never before hearing of Bibio, I'm on to sweeping up the vast piles of dog hair and hear "Take Off Your Shirt" and immediately think Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy! Looked that up. Bingo. It's a tribute. My one wish is that the looped power riffs and cowbell clangs didn't diffuse the experience -- the bridge is for guitargasms, kids! /// Reptar delivers the id. By the bucketfull. Thanks for wielding that Shazamanator for The Forces of Good, Pete.
Hey people: When you dig a mix, tell the mixmaker! Feels good, AND it's the law.
Anyway, my thoughts on this one: What a mighty confident theme, since to Shazam! a song is to like it blind, with no cool cues present to validate our taste. These particular tracks are all new to me as well, and dang, each one just melts into the next. Like chocolate. With sea salt. Which Kellen sent me. And I loved.
XOK
Love it all, Pete. I get to be awed by the stuff that's new to me, and smug about the stuff that I already know. So it's a win-win. In fact, Win-Win might be the perfect alt title for this mix. Thanks!
Perhaps my favorite Kellen mix to date, which says a lot.
Thanks Pete!!
Wow Pete. New music that's good, thanks for that. I had all but given up.
Good stuff Pete. Sorry It took me until the next mix was up to get on it. Hadn't heard a lick of these songs, but didn't skip a song either. And I've listened thrice, which is the clear sign of a good mix.
Thank you for your Shazam! adventures. Nice results. Though I wish you had Photoshopped your head into the cover art like on your previous groovy covers!
This is a bit late to the comments section, but high-five on this mix. Love the concept, and I've been Shazaming more than usual as a result of it. One of my newly Shazammed tunes just might land on my mix, too.
Dang. I could've put this here Shazam app to such good use a couple nights back. At a family outing to see They Might Be Giants, the pre-band music was great-great-great. One more reason to upgrade from the old 2003 DumbPhone.
Every single one of these artists were new to me, which is always a treat. And even better, every single song was actually a treat. I especially liked the Efterklang. Thanks.
Holy awesomeoness, batman. This mix rules! I too love the shazam concept. (and shazaam is pretty incredible....it makes me feel like I'm living in the future)
With the exception of Kid Cudi (and mgmt) these were ALL new to me. So YAY for that! I have had it on repeat all morning already. I love that they were new to you as well, and yet you crafted such a dreamy cool mix. Hmm, maybe you really ARE a superhero?
Pete, you have conquered on so many levels with this mix... The songs rock (ok, there maybe the odd one, but hey). All but a couple were totally unknown, always a very welcome plus. The concept is bloody awesome, (as is the app!). And I love the artwork (even the source for that is cool!).
Well done sir! Thanks for sharing.
This is the mix of the season so far (end Feb 2012), a great blend of styles and bes of all - virtually every artist is new to me. A blast of fresh air on a dank, fog-bound York winter's evening.
Wow. Thanks, Paul. That's high praise given the quality of the mixes so far this year.
What I love about this mix is that we all put ourselves in the places we do to receive this seeming random communication from the universe, but then it all comes together like a seamless garment. Jung be damned or praised, it all come together on the airwaves like a rich real story, which it usually is! Some damn fine songs on this mix, The Cave singers are gorgeous and heartfelt, thank you
Post a Comment