DateFebruary 1, 2012
Miracler
Tim Carroll
Location
Austin, TX
Stuff I love about Tim Carroll, by Your Hostess
1. His mixes are high-concept-kooky, super-catchy, and usually pretty funny. And he knows a crapload about music. So it's not just some guy mastur-chatting about the time he saw that band. I mean, he does that too. But he knows the history, the instruments, and the scene, so his mixes are all over the place and focused at the same time.
2. The guy comments on nearly EVERY SINGLE MIX we've made. He's commented on yours. And yours. And yes, he has a job. And a family. But he does it. Shout out TC!
3. And his comments are like free-form poetry. Go look at some now. He put a TC Classic on Pete Kellen's last week.
4. And yet: I have never met Tim. Don't even know what he looks like. He came to the Prodge as a friend-of-a-Miracler and quickly rose to the ranks of Top Fave Miracler status (even though it's not a contest). But he wins.
Stuff you guys love about him
When he made Comeliness in Oct, you said, "Wow, I love this. Unity within sonic and cultural diversity," "I wouldn't think I'd like a slowed-down version of Every 1's A Winner. I stand corrected," "Nice/varied mix. The LIquid Liquid tune would make a good themed mix: songs with hand drum breakdowns," "Cinematic stuff: Thanks, Tim" "13 comely tunes!", "Top to bottom, it's pure joy," "It's been rainy and blah over here in the East Bay this week and this quirky cool mix has been just the thing to keep me movin' and groovin' around the house," "Just played this at work—I'm in a much better mood than when I started. The Nino Rota made me feel as if suddenly everything was ok," and this doozy: "What I love about this mix: such a great blend of songs I know but sung by someone I don't, artists I've heard of but never heard, artists I've heard but tracks I'm unfamiliar with, songs I love but haven't listened to in forever, and songs I've never heard by artists I've never heard. Think about it. Is that not the definition of a perfect mix? Isn't that what we all are going for when we make them? For me the answer is YES." More comments where those came from, but you get the point.
Same guy also made Paradise exactly two years ago, and Bed in March '09. Lots of love for those too, but my fingers are tired from typing all the other ones. But you get it. So let's move on to TODAY'S wonder.
Liner notes from TC
To "flout" nowadays is derogatory -- to scorn, to mock, to hold in contempt. But in Middle English "flout" simply meant "play the flute." Clearly the magic windy stick has developed a bad rep over the years. And here comes the 5000 pound ghost of Rhassan Roland Kirk to stomp the asses of all the flute haters.
****
1. THE BOTTLE / Gil Scott Heron -- Heron didn't much appreciate the record company pushing this more radio-friendly shortened version of "The Bottle." He wanted more flute. Alas! There are only so many tracks that'll fit into 45 minutes. May Heron's Ghost forgive me. Brian Jackson on flute.
2. FLUTE LOOP / The Beastie Boys --Sampling/stealing from "Flute Thing" from Al Kooper's 60s band, Blues Project. Testimony to Beastie genius, it actually improves on the original.
3. SAME OLD THING / The Black Keys -- Damn, these dudes are good. They somehow manage to take Ye Olde Electric Blues and make it like it's NOT the same old thing. Like by adding some flute, f'rinstance..
4. AIN'T NO SUNSHINE / Rahsaan Roland Kirk -- If this mix had only one flute player on it, it'd be Kirk. I went nuts for the 5,000 Pound Man during my non-Wonder Bread Years, back in the 70s. Back when 50,000 watt radio stations actually played good music, including Jazz.
5. MOONDANCE / Van Morrison -- This song was the hardest to include. It's great. But overplayed. In response to a question about living in music-happy Austin, Dubya said in a televised interview that Laura turned him on to Van Morrison. When asked what his favorite Van song was, Dubya momentarily went blank, then conjured up "Moonwalk."
6. GOING UP THE COUNTRY / Canned Heat -- The "official song" of Woodstock. I almost went with the original by 1920s Bluesman Henry Thomas, "Bull Doze Blues. Thomas played the song on the quills, which are like panpipes, so maybe not technically a flute song, right? Check out the video.
7. THERE IS A MOUNTAIN / Donovan -- Fun inserting Donovan into a mix with The Beasties, especially so considering that Mr. Hurdy Gurdy Man was Ad Rock's father-in-law for a spell.
8. SPILL THE WINE / Eric Burden & WAR -- This was a big elementary school favorite. Was it the flute? More likely the line "I stood naked to the world, in front of every kind of girl."
9. RAINY DAY MUSHROOM PILLOW / Strawberry Alarm Clock -- Want your kids to Just Say No? Force themto listen to this hippy drivel. If they take drugs anyway, send them straight to bed with wet, fungus-filled pillows.
10. SHE COMES IN COLORS / Love -- LOVE Love! Arthur Lee, R.I.P.
11. AN OCCASIONAL DREAM / David Bowie -- The Folk-Rockier, Long-Hairier Bowie. From 1969's "Space Oddity."
12. TOUGH MARY / Etta James -- Etta having recently just left the planet, how could this one be left out? Even working this ditzy little ditty, she womped out the soul.
13. HOUSE OF THE KING / Focus -- The heroic theme by which Tommy Saxondale snubs the whole of 21st Century England with his 351 Cleveland banana yellow Mach I. Like the BBC show, I elected to edit out the dippy Medieval bits from the original.
14. SOLSBURY HILL / Peter Gabriel -- His first hit after leaving Genesis. (Ever hear it?) Peter Gabriel plays flute on this catchy little number. It's a good mix-ender. "Hey," I said, "You can keep my things, they've come to take me home...."
Mix is UP. Same new password (also in your email today)
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
32 comments:
Just downloaded this stellar concept mix - and it looks every bit as great as your others.
Each unique and loaded with gems.
Still listening to Bed no. 1, Paradise and Comeliness.
Thanks Tim!!
Tull-free? How is that possible?
OOPS! Major typo -- "Toll Free!" was the copy I sent to the typesetter.
Way to flout it. The closest you got to Tull was Focus. A similar sound to me. Thanks for skipping the obvious.
Funny how the flute takes me straight to the late 60's/early 70's. Fun mix sir!
I actually thought about doing a mix featuring the best song to feature each of a variety of weird (by rock standards) instruments. For example, the best song to feature a tuba, the best song to feature a xylophone, etc. Then, I realized that'd be way too much work. So I just grabbed a bunch of shit off my Shazam.
But this is a really tight, cohesive mix. You're clearly a more patient man than I. Kudos, good sir.
Great mix, Tim. Really fun. And Ian Anderson's absence went unnoticed. I must say, however, that "Going Up the Country" is an awful song. I have to wash the hippie stink off of me every time I'm unlucky enough to hear it. Luckily, much goodness came before and after it. Thank you, sir.
Hmm, if we could get a hold of a "Going up the country" cover by The National, I bet we could make Doug's head explode. Something to keep in mind for future miraclers.
Ka—Boom!
Okay, I almost just shot milk out my nose* just from reading the liner notes. "The theme from Saxondale digs the flute"?! I already know I love this mix because 1) TC made it 2) see #1 3) it's one of those "I love a few of these songs already and they're perfectly interspersed with others I'm less familiar with".
If only my computer downloaded faster. Damn Machine! Srsly though, Tim, the theme is BRILLZ! I, also, immediately went to the Tull. Which would have been fine with me, but all the more fun to have more more more. Okay, off to listen and then more blathering will come, no doubt. Also: Kellen—that is hilars. Oh Doug!
*not actually
Thanks, Pete. I'd sure like to hear a Best of The Also Instruments mix. It'd definitely be a workable theme. Do it to it! Full Flutey Jacket across 45 minutes? A little of that does goes a long way. Perversely, that's why I couldn't resist giving it a go.
Here's an All Or Nothing mix that might be fun:
Bells and Bongos.
For bells, it'd be any bell BUT cowbell. Tinkly bells. Like the glockenspiel in "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg." Or that weird Calesta in Iggy's "Penetration." Lot of bells in Motown. Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen likes him some bells, too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celesta
For bongos? It'd be 100% Preston Epps. Now, could the two instruments play together, song after song? Hmmmmm....
***
Doug: Patchouli O.D. was a huge risk throughout the mix. Ann Magnuson has shared with the world her erotic dreams about "the fat singer from Canned Heat" -- so, good enough for Ann, good enough for me!
Check out the Henry Thomas original?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qo9R5kDZWY
P.S. The words " Calesta" and "Penetration" within ten miles of each other? SCARY.
P.P.S. The No Tull edict was done as thematic bonsai. I like Tull. Except for the flute.
Henry Thomas, rest in peace. Bob Hite, see ya!
Woodstock's not over until the fat dude sings. Turns out Bob Hite wasn't even the singer of "Going Up The Country." The band's songwriter/lead guitarist Alan "Blind Owl" Christie Wilson sings it. I've forever assumed it was a falsetto'd Big Bob. /// The YouTube clip below is proof-positive (and also worth a gander if you like your hippies naked and wet). And dig this, Moondogs! The live version sports not one damn flute. /// Next mix, it's un-can the Heat and blow like the wind -- up the Tull Road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luq3g47cbWI&feature=related
No Sunshine really suits Roland Kirk, though I did expect him to cut a little more loose.
Liked the RRK very much.
I think the Focus takes care of the Tull end of the flute spectrum quite nicely.
If you're looking to keep the kids saying "No" then it would be best not to expose them to too much Love. That shit's catching.
Being a RRK fan from a tender age triggers a slight prejudice towards Ian Anderson. Sort of a "Hey... Kirk invented that" thing. I do like me some Tull. With Zyrtec to manage the Renaissance Faire allergy it's all good. Same for Focus. Some cringes; mostly respect.
"Hocus Pocus" DEFINITELY will make the 3MPMP All-Yodel Mix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q&feature=related
Mike -- I dig how Jazz-Badass Kirk, with five saxes hangin' off him, would cover Top 40 pop ballads. His version of "Never Can Say Goodbye" is better than the Jackson Five's (and I love the J5).
Nice mix, Tim. It was surprisingly musically cohesive. Was that intentional or does the flout somehow just attract a certain type of music? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhZ5cuh_1SA
Thanks, Sam. This was harder -- and more enjoyable -- to put together than I'd anticipated. Though I love beautiful flute music (like shakuhachi, for instance) I'd assumed that in a Pop mix, flute-loopiness would lead the way (and this explains the cover art). While gathering material I was surprised at the wealth of un-dorkified flute songs in Pop, Rock, and Jazz. In the end, silly stuff like Strawberry Alarm Clock became hard to keep in. But since I was going for range in the mix, some guilty pleasure seemed justified. If I'd known about Lee Scratch Perry's "Little Flute Chant" (tasty!) I would've tried to squish that in, too. So much music, so little playtime.
Great mix, Tim. I had no idea how much flute I'd been listening to all these years. The Kirk track is particularly good. And thanks for including Etta, that's such a loss. In addition, the liner notes caused me to look up Henry Thomas. Wow, I'd forgotten about my love of pre-war blues. Thanks for a great bunch of songs.
I was in jury duty most of last week, so I'm just playing catching. I haven't even downloaded but can i just say how excited I am to check out this mix?!?! FLUTE OF FURY. HAH! Love it.....
Yes! Also loved the Kirk, and the Beasties track took me back to a fun time in my life. Focus is tight, and I'll cop to loving that Canned Heat song, stinkiness be damned. I would also have accepted some Tull, for what it's worth.
Catching up on my listening and this was well worth the wait. Great idea for a mix. Ron Burgundy would be pleased. Despite Doug's protest, I agree with Karl in loving that Canned Heat hippie flute stink. Also dig the idea for a Bells and Bongos follow up. Nice work Tim.
Karl and Peter-- Funny how "Going Up The Country" gets so much press. It's the only Canned Heat I've ever had. I like it, but definitely would've gone with the Henry Thomas original except for worrying that panpipes somehow violated the Only Flutes Rule. At this point I'm thinking they don't. /// Ron Burgundy!
Tight mix. My favorites are Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow and The Bottle. Instant muscle relaxers.
Love this mix, top to bottom. As a wee lad, I was fed a healthy diet of Jethro Tull by my first cool babysitter and loved every bit of it, but I this is my very taste of Rahsaan Roland Kirk. I see I have quite a bit of catching up to do there... Thanks for opening up my world.
Hello! I had a mission tourist walk with this mix. Sitting in La Taqueria with flutes, whizzing flute-style past dirty boys in sneakers and colored Ray Bans smoking outside the Attic, then standing on the corner of 24th/Valencia watching the clouds go by...with flutes. (It was that nice cloud day last week)
Is it only recorders on the Bowie song, or is there a flute hiding behind them? Depends on what you call a flute, I guess.
I Love a concept mix.
Sircvs -- "An Occasional Dream" has both flute and recorder, credited to Tim Renwick and Tony Visconti (without mention of who played which). The initial notes sound most recorder-like, followed by swoopier parts that emphasize the flute /// I'd nixed "Fool on The Hill" from the mix thinking it was definitely recorders, only to learn three flautists were involved. McCartney is credited with penny whistle on "Fool" -- that's what had me, um, fooled. /// From what I've read, recorders are within the flute family. The distinguishing difference is that recorders have that edge dealie-bopper called the fipple. /// "Nice cloud day" -- I really dig that.
super fun! Love this mix. Thanks
You had me until Solsbury Hill. Damn that earworm! Stuffing in more Arthur Lee to drown it. But thanks for the hippy good times!
Nice! Bowie's An Occasional Dream was my high school sex soundtrack (insert flute joke here.) (insert "insert flute" joke here)
Guys, I am so behind with the prodge, which is such a shame since there's so much amazing stuff lately!!!
The first thing my wife (a flutist herself) said when she heard about this mix was "Oh no, the Tull!" which I also thought at first. So the "Tull free" thing was welcome. Oh, wait, or was it meant to be "toll free"? Heh.
Thanks Tim, enjoyed the whole thing, especially the humour.
Post a Comment