
Date
February 8, 2012
Miracler
Ray Welter
Location
Richmond, CA
What else can be said about Ray Welter—
architect / musician/ motor enthusiast / non-ironic grandpa-sweater wearer / speaker of opinions as facts / Hostess spoiler / American—that wasn't said in August '11, when he brought us Get a Little Bit of HiFi —stuff like, 'A little bit of Ray Welter magic. I always look forward to your mixes, friend. And this one, per usual, does not disappoint,' 'I'm digging this eclectic mix,' 'Ray, that bronze upholstery in your cover photo is super swank,' 'Many moods and textures here—I love the way taste ranges,' 'As expected, lots of fun stuff in this mix. Great way to start the day—thanks!,' 'This mix makes me miss driving around with you in the Scirocco, the ocean beach bonfires, and eating not one but two hotdogs with nacho cheese from the liquor store across the street from your old SF apt. Good times,' 'Rockin' random in Richmond—terrifically so,' 'Congratulations, Ray—your mix rocks. This goes straight into the car stereo!', and so on/so forth? Answer: what was the question?
And would you look here: there IS more by and about Mr. Welter on the e-pages of There's More to Scandinavia Than Death Metal from March '10; Are You Going to the Show?, his tour de force from Nov. '09; The Wedding Present definitive collection from earlier that year; If It Ain't Scottish It's Crap mix in March '09, and lest we forget Let's Have a Meaningful Relationship, made just for you in Oct. '08. Beyond that, we go back to 2003, when Mr. Welter gave us old-timers that 3-mix TKO mix FTW.
Today Ray brings us what in other hands might look like a "Huh?" mix based on the artist list. But because he's Ray Welter, he makes it make sense. You'll see. Let's listen in.
Liner Notes from RW
1. Since I Left You—The Avalanches
'Welcome to Paradise'
2. Ascending—Fists
'Climb up into my balloon.'
3. Hey Citizen! — ABC
'Here they come, slummin' their way out of the jacuzzi.'
4. Teacher Teacher—Rockpile
'Cheeks flushed, apple red.'
5. Oui Camera Oui—The Heavenly States
'He never holds her, she never holds on.'
6. Mama Told Me Not To Come—The Wolfgang Press
'I"m lookin' at my girlfriend, she's passed out on the floor.'
7. Free All The Monsters—The Bats
'They mostly leave us alone.'
8. You Make Lovin' Fun (Demo)—Fleetwood Mac
'Don't break the spell. It would be different and you know it will.'
9. Takes a Lot of Tryin'—The Tyde
'Look at the friends she's keeping, I hope she don't get used up.'
10. Such a Shame—Talk Talk
'Such a shame, this eagerness to change.'
11. LSDJ08—Duo 505
Thanks to all who have been commenting up a storm on the site—that stuff if wildly appreciated by the mix makers. I'm still seeing some names on our email list who haven't shown up in the Comments section yet. Takes a minute to spread Miracle joy—and it's the law.
Mix is UP. Same password
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
25 comments:
Rockpile! This is gonna be good.
Really diggin' that Fists song, Ray. The guitars, the stick beat, the quavery voice, the lyrics -- pretty damn perfect stuff. New to me, Gotta look into these guys. /// So nice to hear Christine McVie take the lead. Stevie Nicks has a singular voice and all, but yeah, McVie's got pipes. And less scarves. Like the false start on this demo. Feels a bit Steely Danny before the keyboards and singing kick in. /// The Avalanches: "I've found a world so new " 'cause I've never heard of them, and totally dig this song! Hypnotic love that's swirly with fireworks and bells AND flute fortified.
It's weird, cause I've been listening to Fleetwood Mac lately, inexplicably... and I agree w/ Tim that there is a Dan like quality to the demo. It's great even if I only have to mentally picture the scarves.
Digging the Bats song as well.
It's feeling pretty free form, Ray, and that's how it is with us Moped riders. We go where we want to go, do what we want to do.
I believe I had that exact same moped in college, right down to the intimidating baby blue color. And the mix is equally solid. Love me some Talk Talk.
Count me as one who sheepishly admits to loving the first two Lindsey Buckingham Fleetwood Mac LPs and I've always loved You Make Lovin' Fun. Having that demo version is priceless, esp. the false start. Very cool, as is this mix which flows seamlessly. Nice job.
Anyone hearing Guns-N-Roses in that ABC song?
Anyone ever mention those two bands in one sentence before?
Great mix. Not only does it include The Wolfgang Press, Talk Talk and Fleetwood Mac, but it has my favorite cover photo yet. Nice work Ray
An interesting flow to the mix which I enjoyed quite a bit. Really enjoyed the Fists and the Bats tracks.
I think that Christine McVie's one of the great female rock voices and is really under-rated all around. I'm more into the 'Bare Trees' era of the group but the demo is terrific stuff (you got's more or was that a bonus track on something?)
Thanks for introducing me to Fists — that song sticks in my head. Stripped-down perfection. Talk Talk, a favorite then and, yeah, still now. Kelly, I enjoyed your ABC and G-n-R comparison! Too funny and maybe true. A swell mix and a kick-ass cover photo too.
The Avalanches! Beautiful beginning to a 'how-did-you-even-create-this' (in the best kind of way) album and a fantastic mix. And damn, oh damn, is that Heavenly States song catchy! Really enjoyed Fleetwood Mac and the Bats, too.
Fritz- The demo stuff is on the deluxe reissue of rumours, with a whole additional disc of demos, outtakes, jams, etc. pretty cool.
Hey Ray, whaddya say! This is the perfect mix for today....rainy but sunny. And I mean that in the best way. I'm really enjoying the mellow groove you got going. No specific tracks to call out, just lots of catchy goodness. Nice one!
Thought the Bats might've been Jon Brion's old band, but was immediately hooked by the Brit Bats. Love the rough edge to the Mac in that demo.
I can't believe no one has put that Rockpile on a mix before. What a great tune. Also dug the WGP version of that song, and The Bats. Would never have identified ABC in a blind taste test. Different sound than I remember from the 80's - though I was too busy pretending to be punk rock to really notice.
Woke up with a Teacher Teacher earworm today! Uh oh... Really enjoying this mix. Thanks, Ray.
I listened to this mix without checking the playlist first, and can I just say that Talk Talk songs are fully identifiable within three notes. Am I right? That was an awesome supersonic 80s time warp.
Also digging the tunes by The Bats, Fists, and The Avalanches.
Ray, this is my favorite mix from you yet. LOVE the Avalanches. Great to hear the Wolfgang Press (an old college friend of mine married Mark!) and lots of other great stuff. You have cracked the formula for the perfect 3MPMP mix!
My dear sis, Laura Compton, reminded me to make sure I was keeping up on the downloads before they disappeared. For some reason I didn't have this one...boy, would I be sorry if I had missed it. I'm only halfway through and it's making me ridiculously happy listening to it. Jackpot. That's all I can say.
So I mistakenly listened to this mix backwards and liked it so much, I put her right back in reverse. Funny that - if you could just play back a city drive. Nice work - Ray
Really enjoying the energy and mix of rocky styles on this compilation - the best kind of motivating music (no babbling brooks within ear-shot here!)
So glad I finally got to this mix, Ray. Especially since I was planning on putting "Since I Left You" on my mix. Loving Fists, Rockpile (obviously), Wolfgang Press (never heard this version), Bats, Tyde...running out of room here. Still baffled by the mix name and theme, though. Is there a prize if we guess it?
Doug- No theme, and the title was a joke name for a band i used to be in....
Wow...fun mix, Raymond...nice work!
Contrary to Doug's case, it was The Wolfgang Press's version of "Mama told me not to come" that I first ever bought. Although I'm sure I had heard the song on the radio before --surely Three Dog Night?
Loved the whole thing, including the title and cover :)
Extra special thanks for The Heavenly States which I didn't know. Other new friends blended seamlessly with old acquaintances for some motley group of songs that (qouting the Mac) made listening fun! Thanks Ray, well done.
Playing some 3MPM tunes today and the Fists "Ascending" is just tremendous. Thanks for turning me on to it.
Post a Comment