DateFebruary 22, 2012
Miracler
Greg "Buns" Mills
Location
Detroit
Last time we heard from GBM,
He lived in Berkeley, had medium-sized kids, and made mixes like September 09's More Embarrassing Hippie Music and June 08's The Well Tempered Badonkadonk, which you described as, 'Uh, best title ever!,' 'Manfred Mann sings 'Duce' as 'Douche' but he's South African, so we should make allowances for accent,' 'Yes, and that point confounded me and my pre-adolescent friends for some time,' 'My fave mix yet—a nice variety,' 'Pure awesomeness,' 'Oh man, someone FINALLY put Hallo Gallo on a comp! Stereolab owes their whole career to this one song,' 'Yep, between the Neu song, The Fall, VU, and Bee Gees, you've pretty nearly covered Stereolab's reason for existence,' 'The Konichiwa song had me in stitches,' 'I would not even know where to start handing out the cred—great mix,' 'I feel like I've heard all of these songs before. In this same order. Yes—it was the night you asked me to come over to listen to music on your new hi-fi stereo. Then we drank that funny smelling kool-aid. Then the lights flickered, and I woke up with a tattoo on my badonkadonk. Ah, sweet youth. Thanks for bringing it all back.' And so on.
Now the kids are big and Greg's in Detroit, but he's still the same kook that cranks out eccentric mixes like today's, which represents the latest in a most enjoyable string of thematic Season 5 mixes. Collected and analyzed (we don't say 'curated' here) as though for a PhD thesis, this thing also totally holds together. Without further adieu, may I present...The Ballad of Jimmy Page's Solicitors.
Liner Notes from GBM
There is no Led Zeppelin here.
There's some early Robert Plant. There's Jimmy Page performing with the Yardbirds (performing a song that Page ripped off twice - once as a Yardbird, the second time as a Zep)Some songs were "covered" by LZ. Some melodies or bass lines or lyrics were "appropriated" by LZ. Much here was "ripped-off" wholesale by LZ. Obviously, barrels of ink have been spilled by greasy ponytailed Mojo writers about this topic, and we could have a multivolume set if we pursued this theme further.
And there's one cover of "Whole Lotta Love", though that song is more or less the Willie Dixon-penned Muddy Waters joint, "You Need Love", which appears here. The Small Faces also did a version called "You Need Loving". Led Zep got sued successfully by Dixon in '86. The Small Faces managed to duck any sort of litigation. Well done, Steve Marriott!
The first song here is the original "Dazed and Confused", by the American folksinger Jake Holmes. He opened for the Yardbirds in NYC, and I guess Jimmy took very careful notes. A pretty frigging awesome live Yardbirds version finishes off the disk. Mr. Holmes went on to be a successful jingle writer, writing "I'm a Pepper" and "Be All That You Can Be".
#2, “You Shook Me” - Jeff Beck's take on the Dixon/Muddy track of the same name, featuring Rod Stewart on vocals. Beck's version appear on his album Truth, which came out in '68, a year before Led Zep's debut album.
Track #3, “As Long as I Have You” was covered by Led Zep, though it's only been released on rarity compilations. They credit Garnet Mimms for it, too!
#4: King Curtis, playing the aforementioned "Whole Lotta Love" like a completely mad bastard. Withnail and I fans should note that the album this track appears on, Live at the Fillmore, also features the amazing cover of "Whiter Shade of Pale" that opens the movie. So, fun! Withnail and I!
#5: "Nobody's Fault But Mine" John Renbourn from Pentangle's cover of a Blind Willie Johnson song that Led Zeppelin covered on Presence. Note: Renbourn is pretty awesome.
#6: "You Need Love" - Muddy Waters. Enough. Done talking about it.
#7: A John Fahey track, because, why the hell not? And it sounds sort of Page-y. Or Page sounds sort of Fahey-y. I don't know.
#8: "Killing Floor" - Howlin' Wolf. The bridge and most of the lyrics from the "Lemon Song"... can you hear it, yer honor? The Lemon Song also manages to shave off a little melody from Albert King’s “Crosscut Saw”, a Ma Rainey lyric and of course, Robert Johnson’s nasty lemon reference that gave this song its name.(Johnson sang about his ‘lemon’ in “Traveling Riverside Blues”).
#9: Davey Graham. Woof. Merged Ragga, delta blues, Django Rheinhardt, pop schmaltz and was indirectly responsible for Black Sabbath, if only for influencing Tony Iommi. He also influenced every other folk-inflected guitarist in Britain. A lovely version of "She Moved Through the Fair" appeared on that album Van Morrison did with the Chieftains.
#10: "Nervous Breakdown". "Communications Breakdown". Just listen, okay?
#11: Another British folkie of the era. Pretty, yes?
#12: Alexis Korner, father of British Electric Blues, with a pre-Zep Robert Plant.
#13. The Yardbirds doing an extremely tuff version of Dazed and Confused. My fav.
Mix is UP. Same password
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
36 comments:
Note about the cover: Charles Boyer and John Huston in the non-canon 1967 Casino Royale.
Greg-The cover rules. Can't wait to hear the mix!
I read the title and actually said out loud, "Oh, I'm going to like this..."
Ray - My current wife Paula did it for me. It's very lovely.
Best cover/title ever.
Do you get paid to come up with stuff like this?
I have dabbled in it, yes.
Amazing!!!! Hats off to Roy Harper -- and Greg Mills, too. /// John Fahey is a perfect fit, Gawd belss ya. Love-love-love Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart's stuff from them days. How Rod The Mod got to "Do You Think I'm Sexy?" was a vexing mystery to me back in the Disco Days. (I think Revolting Cocks' version has since answered that mystery quite well.) /// Muddy and Willie's "You Need Love" -- SO MUCH BETTER. And I say that as an unabashed Zeppeliner. The weird "clacky" percussive sounds mesmerize -- are they byproducts of the Hammond? /// Robert Plant Story Corner: Immediately after moving in with Gal Pal Val and "common law stepkid" Colin, my now ex-roommate Roy Taylor (who works with Patty Griffin and Buddy Miller) started recording ROBERT PLANT IN MY OLD LIVING ROOM! Sigh. So close, yet so far.... /// Robert Plant Story Corner, PART II: My ex-landlord (yet another cool Austin artist-musician) was star struck to see Robert hangin' in the backyard. Making small talk, Steve said to Robert, "So, if you ever need a Theremin player, well, I'm available." Plant replied, "I used to play with a guy who fancied the Theremin. Unfortunately the thing contributed to my hearing loss." Steve was a little crestfallen. A day later Steve was totally, wretchedly embarrassed. Plant had been un-name-checking Jimmy Page, and Steve was too distracted to get the joke on the spot.
Love the theme, love the songs, but as others have stated, I love the cover most of all. In fact, I'm starting to get really intimidated by how awesome some of the latest covers have been. Next time, instead of getting in a music group with a bunch of artists, designers and other creative types, I think I'll look for CPAs and people who wouldn't know photoshop if it bit them in the khakis.
Yes! The cover is sublime. John Huston will see you, after he receives his tea. /// Greg, your Davey Graham influencing Tony Iomi theory really slings open them doors of perception. Consider this mind now officially blown.
Tremendous concept mix! I love the yardbird's grand finale! It totally rocks old school - when did they do this?
I love how the mix adds Fahey, Muddy Waters, and Howlin' Wolf and Eddie Cochran it all goes. Oh and John Renbourn - Yes!! Track 2 is absolutely the awful side of the post Yard birds / Led sound- with the dreaded Jeff Beck. Still I get it, you strived to cover all the LZ grounds. I am with everyone on the cover, it is superb.
Thanks for this ambitious and successful thematic mix!
Also Davy Graham!!!!! Gorgeous and completely new to me.
Withnail and I! Ha I'd forgotten about its awesomeness. Also, Renbourne is plus also too awesome!
Thanks for saying nice things everyone.
Tim - Here's my totally grab ass Iommi theory: out of necessity, Iommi lifted his style from Django Reinhardt (they were both missing fingers), with Graham being the bridge, because Graham popularized Reinhardt and Le Hot Jazz style in the UK in the early 60s.
(Note that Garcia was influenced by Reinhardt because he was missing fingers as well.)
Looking forward to grabbing this mix when I get home.
I'm only familiar with Graham's lp with Shirley Collins (where he covers Monk not Django)so I remain unconvinced of the Iommi connection! ;-)
In other litigation: Pagey definitely stole the opening for Stairway from Spirit's Taurus.
Dang, 14 comments before lunchtime, Greg—not shabby. Of course, Doug Patterson will deduct yours...But he can't take this one.
Love the connecting of Graham to Iomi, Greg. The Django-Iomi-Jerry thing too. /// So, thanks to the Fickle Finger of Fate fuckin' with some phalanges, the world got three amazing artists. Irritants making pearls! /// This is for the musicians to explain, but I'd long ago heard that Iomi improvised his giant sludge o' sound because he needed lighter strings to compensate for two missing fingertips, and he tuned those lighter strings all loosey-goosey to get the pitch down low so Satan could get his groove on. (The Satan part is my pet theory, but only devil worshippers play Gibson SGs, right?) /// Ever floggin' that flute: Iomi was in Jethro Tull for a bit. Huh?!
Fritz - Taurus was on the consideration list, for sure, as was Fresh Garbage, which Zeppelin covered in concert. Which I can feverishly connect to Tim Carroll's friend's theremin faux pas, because Jimmy apparently became fascinated with the Theremin after seeing Randy California use one in concert.
BOW BEFORE MY VENN DIAGRAM.
One of my favorite mixes so far. Upbeat at times, down low at others. Great concept, too - yer my hero. Agree that the Yardbirds tune kicks ass, but I think my favorite is the King Curtis track. I can totally picture the crowd groovin' to this at the Fillmore. Makes me wanna grow my fro out.
I spent most of my surly teenaged mohawk years hating Zeppelin and then I married a LedHed. Been coming around although I've never entirely warmed up to the Brit Blues gods; that Yardbirds cut smokes though!
Had not heard Davy Graham stretch out like that-- very Sandy Bull. Loved the Owen Hand as well, and there's something really familiar about the one riff but I can't quite bring to mind where I've heard it before.
The Cochran choice is inspired.
Muddy should of course be on Mount Rushmore.
A truly fun mix from end to end-- glad to have them all in my library. Thanks!
Fritz -- The Owen Hand song likely traveled down the same road as the Stones' "Prodigal Son" and Led Zep's "Poor Tom." The Brit and Irish Bluesers savored -- and studied -- Reverend Robert Wilkins' "That's No Way To Get Along" from the 1930s.
Stones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8odAtYPwKtc
Zep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h95LIJDsfQc
Wilkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylud4u1aAKI
Still grappling with the immensity of this concept. Will comment on the music later...
Hey there, Kelly!
it's going to blow your little mind, Doug.
Shuffle Kismet:on the way home from a Red Wing game tonight: King Curtis's version of "Them Changes", which is truly transcendent, and the Yardbirds tabla-tastic version of "She Moved Through the Fair", called "White Summer". Both are truly beautiful and ass-shaking great. Seek them out.
Great concept and execution. If I ever need to get on someone for a copyright infringement I'm calling you Greg.
Wow, this mix is incredible, start to finish. Thanks Greg.
Erudite stuff, Greg 'Motors' Mills, & some good songs too. (I particularly like the Garnet Mimms.) Joe Carducci (ex-SST) in Rock & the Pop Narcotic defends Led Zep from charges of cultural appropriation, claiming that their rock heaviness pioneering was more significant than their borrowing. Not to get too OT here but re Tony Iomi, the diminished fifth is known as the devil's interval: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4952646.stm
Thanks for sharing, Greg! (67 degrees, sunny, gonna walk to the library for an artisanal crafts information swap.)
Love the mix. Love the songs, love the liner notes and love the theme-y goodness.
And that's from a guy who has never loved Led Zeppelin. I concede Jimmy Page is a guitar god and Plant's voice is distinct and rich and emotional, but as a band I've always perceived them as a bit too Spinal Tap with their arena posturing and satiny clothes. Thanks for stripping off the veneer and showing the roots and loamy soil from which they grew. Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to the Killing Floor.
Love any mix that makes Hostess bring up the word "curated" and then back away from it.
Brought this mash to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFg5q2hSl2E
I've never heard that one. It's pretty great.
I am googoo for this one. Just pointless awesomeness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThU9BOWcmjM
This one is pretty great, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhU_De7FIL8
Cool
Ambitious project, Greg. You deconstructed LZ down to their DNA and built up a scary new beast. Never heard the Yardbirds version of D & Z. Love Owen Hand. Had to look him up. BTW, which song represents the "Snapper Incident?" Killing Floor?
Awesome.
Davey Graham. Woof indeed.
In the running for best cover ever, just to start, all the Brit twee meets cool era you could wish for. And the music, stem to stern a hands down tour de force. Strength length and breadth, I loved this first time, thank you for the Yardbirds, the Renbourn, and the historicity. As my English Comp teacher ONCE said, flawless ON CONCEPT, Brilliant execution...
It is now clear why for a long period of my adolescent/adult life music from the high 60's/low 70's resonated as clear as the back drop of my brain's static. It's because of the clear ties and foundation coming from mississippi blues. From Muddy to the Yardbirds, the birth of legends. A nice take on the forever solid zepplin nostalgia.
I must say, as a sort of Zep fan with a wife that is definitely not a Zep fan, this mix worked wonderfully in the car.
The inclusion of Garnet Mimms makes this an instant fave for this old (mod) heart of mine. But then the whole affair is a pleaser! Thank you Greg!!
Loved the artwork as well :)
Post a Comment