I didn't have any Bay City Rollers at my fingertips when I made the comp, so I opted to leave them out. I did have the Saturday Night 45 as a kid, and I think it's up in my attic!
Love Nirvana, and the Unplugged album is the one I listen to most. Like gazillions of others I first heard of The Vaselines thanks to that show. Nirvana did wonders for The Meat Puppets and Bowie, too!
Sure do like the sexy stuff The Vaselines did. The breathy-girly vocals on "Molly's Lips" make a feller wanna swoon.
This is so not crap. I love most of the stuff on here, and that which I may not love, I'm still finding my foot tapping along. So, how do you define Scottish here, anyway? One member must be, or half the band, or a majority? I was hanging tonight with a few keen Miraclers who were wondering what your rules are. Miraclers: a geeky bunch.
Orange Juice always sounds great to me. And this entire mix is is totally welter. That's my new word for insightfully cool. "You'll like Ray. He's a welter guy I met a few years back at a Section 25 Fan Club meeting."
Kelly-Basically, the band had to originate in Scotland - the members didn't necessarily have to be Scottish. But most, if not all, of these bands have at least one Scotsman/woman. Stephen-you embarrass me, although when I saw that picnic picture of you on Facebook, I thought "Now that's one cool cat."
A deliriously fun jambalaya of noise and twee. Thanks, Ray. It was great hearing some new (to me) bands - Ballboy, Eugenius, Revolving Paint Dream - but you had me at Teenage Fanclub. And the 15 minute Mogwai/Beta Band/Delgados suite was perfection. It made me feel A) proud to be of Scottish stock, and B) lucky to be a miracler.
Wow, that was a lot of fancy punctuation for one lousy paragraph. (!)
9 comments:
Good to hear The Beta Band, Sir Raymond. Like The Vaselines a whole bunch, too. Aztec Van Camera-- yeah! Why for no Bay City Rollers?
I didn't have any Bay City Rollers at my fingertips when I made the comp, so I opted to leave them out. I did have the Saturday Night 45 as a kid, and I think it's up in my attic!
Also, you may have heard the Vaselines song as Nirvana did a cover of it during their MTV Unplugged set. Mr. Cobain was a huge fan.
Love Nirvana, and the Unplugged album is the one I listen to most. Like gazillions of others I first heard of The Vaselines thanks to that show. Nirvana did wonders for The Meat Puppets and Bowie, too!
Sure do like the sexy stuff The Vaselines did. The breathy-girly vocals on "Molly's Lips" make a feller wanna swoon.
This is so not crap. I love most of the stuff on here, and that which I may not love, I'm still finding my foot tapping along. So, how do you define Scottish here, anyway? One member must be, or half the band, or a majority? I was hanging tonight with a few keen Miraclers who were wondering what your rules are. Miraclers: a geeky bunch.
Grand mix all-in-all, Sir Raymond.
XOK
Orange Juice always sounds great to me. And this entire mix is is totally welter. That's my new word for insightfully cool. "You'll like Ray. He's a welter guy I met a few years back at a Section 25 Fan Club meeting."
Kelly-Basically, the band had to originate in Scotland - the members didn't necessarily have to be Scottish. But most, if not all, of these bands have at least one Scotsman/woman.
Stephen-you embarrass me, although when I saw that picnic picture of you on Facebook, I thought "Now that's one cool cat."
Invasion of the Scots (upcoming shows):
The Vaselines at Bimbo's - May 11
Mogwai at Regency Ballroom - May 17
Ballboy at Annie's Social Club -
May 22
Camera Obscura at Fillmore - June 8
I will be going to all of these, so drop me a line (not here, e-mail silly) if you want to go.
A deliriously fun jambalaya of noise and twee. Thanks, Ray. It was great hearing some new (to me) bands - Ballboy, Eugenius, Revolving Paint Dream - but you had me at Teenage Fanclub. And the 15 minute Mogwai/Beta Band/Delgados suite was perfection. It made me feel A) proud to be of Scottish stock, and B) lucky to be a miracler.
Wow, that was a lot of fancy punctuation for one lousy paragraph. (!)
Post a Comment