Date:Bonus Friday, April 3, 2009
Miracler:
Fritz Eifrig
Location:
Chicago
Happy Sunny Bonus Friday, Miraclers!
Yesterday’s crazy-making winds have cleared out of San Francisco, the sun and fleurs and birdies are bursting with joy, I’m already exercised and caffeinated for the day, and on top of all that, the Pie Friday offerings over at the Rite Spot are looking extra-delish today (strawberry-raspberry-blackberry-blueberry and mango-raspberry-crumble). So you could say I am writing to you from Inside The Zone. Won’t you join me?
Today’s Special Guest Miracler: Brought to you by Facebook
If I get nothing else out of that silly site, the hours/days clocked there have been worth it if just to reconnect with this fellow. In the John Hughes movie of my high school years, Fritz Eifrig was the skinny pale long-lashed mohawked Drama Club guy, equal parts “get me out of this suburb NOW” moodiness and “let’s play another joke on the vice principal” buffoonery who scrawls poetry on the art class tables, makes you life-changing mix tapes, and actually finds original ways to express disdain for the ‘jocks’ in the underground school newspaper, yet is also comfortable carrying on extended conversations with your mom.
Back to the life-changing mix tape part: looks like Fritz didn’t stop making them over the past 25 years. Today’s spirited compilation puts a bunch of new names into the 3MPMP playlist, as well as a couple of favorites. It's real good stuff. Have at it!
Mix is here.
Wishing you all a fantastic weekend,
XOK
8 comments:
Mexican Cheerleader - an excellent band name. Maybe even better than Angry Salad. I'm looking forward to this one...
They've also got excellent matching embroidered track-suits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKTRr3QCGqQ&feature=related
Excellent mix...and probably the sunniest intro I've read in these here parts. Damn!
Good choice of the pre-Specials -- alot of their other music then seemed to be not quite ready. And the pre-Eddy Grant Clash covered -- a good addition to 3mpmp. My fave songs were by Thursday's Children & Kaleidoscope. And Real Kids? With psych music? Are you from Mass?
Hey Sam and all—Here are some notes Fritz had emailed me that explain more of what's here. Enjoy, XOK
Mexican Cheerleader is one of my brother's bands (he's in three, I think), along with Lynnard's Innards.
Cult Hero are actually the Cure on a flexi single they did under that name around the time of 17 Seconds...
Flo & Eddie are the front men from the Turtles, from their first record post-Mothers, which is just gorgeous all the way through-- highly recommended...
Thursday's Children were yet another Texas garage band from 65-66, I got this during an orgy of downloading about 80 discs-worth of garage-psych-surf stuff a few years ago (there's some pretty cool stuff from Turkey I ought to pass along...)
The Equals doing the original Police on My Back-- Eddy Grant of "rock down to Electric Avenue" MTV fame, yes it's true...
Watch Us Work It-- the Spudboys doing their thing for Dell (I think?) a little while ago; I couldn't believe how much they sounded like their early stuff (they were totally awesome when I saw them in '04 at the Riv, just totally smokin'; my brother and I were pogoing and headbangin' very hard when they broke out Blockhead... but I digress)...
The Factory was an early band of Lowell George's before he joined the Mothers (hey, a hidden theme!) and later he did this tune with the first iteration of Little Feat.
Kaleidoscope was David Lindley's first band.
Not from Mass... just a Hoosier like Ms KN.
wow, the liner notes fills in the blanks! I don't think you gave these to me, did you Fritz?
This mix is great and I am so glad you handed it out to the 3mpm. It is quite a set up KSN has here, is it not?
JMG- your original was slightly different: no Wailers and the Stranglers tune was 'Choosy Susie' rather than 'London Lady.' I don't recall any other changes, but I am notoriously absent-minded.
"It is quite a set up KSN has here, is it not?"
Indeed! A formidable scene.
Post a Comment