Monday, October 13, 2008

Let's Have a Meaningful Relationship

Date:
October 13, 2008

Miracler:
Ray Welter

Location:
Richmond, CA

About Ray
Despite his pathetic lack of patriotism, Mr. Welter does possess some redeeming qualities. Like, last time around, he was kind enough to make us not 1 or 2 but THREE Pop Miracle disks. And that was back in the dark days, when you had to make the disks and then go mail ‘em (perish the thought). Those contributions remain on frequent rotation at Your Hostess’ house. When he’s not busy hating America, Ray works as an architect, plays a bunch of instruments in Carta (check 'em out on MySpace), has a beautiful/crafty wife Robin, a pod of dachshunds, a gaggle of motorcycles, a herd of modern pottery, and a white goatee.

Ray's liner notes:

1. Felt: ‘Song For William S. Harvey’
One of the best Felt songs off one of the best Felt albums from one of the best bands ever. Ever. They did NOT write songs about Christina Ricci.

2. Ambulance LTD: ‘Yoga Means Union’
While Ambulance can be a bit inconsistent, this is brilliant.

3. Maximo Park: ‘Graffiti’
Forget the lyrics, listen to the bass line.

4. Ideal Free Distribution: ‘Son Of A Gun’
Although they’re from Kentucky, they’ll probably vote for Obama.

5. Shout Out Louds: ‘The Comeback’
The Swedes are still kings and queens of the pop song.

6. Stars: ‘Elevator Love Letter’
The Canadian version of the Delgados. See number 7 below.

7. The Delgados: ‘Everyone Come Down’
Off their swan song album. These Scots made some of the best albums in recent years. R.I.P.

8. Mazarin: ‘What Sees The Sky? (Alt. Version)’
Not to be confused with the regular version.

9. Nice Man: ‘Let’s Have a Meaningful Relationship’
Scottish. Drummer for Teenage Fanclub. ‘Nuff said.

10. Bitter, Bitter Weeks: ‘You Paralyze My Heart’
Bittersweet lyrics bringin’ it down. Way down.

11. Tarkio: ‘Tristan and Iseult’
Pre-Decemberists Colin Meloy, written in Montana. Still amazing.

12. The Decemberists: ‘O Valencia’
The Decemberists will always, ALWAYS be better than Death Cab For Cutie. ALWAYS!

13. Nada Surf: ‘I Like What You Say’
Dumb band name. Great song.

14. The Legends: ‘Right On’
See number 5 above.

15. The National: ‘Apartment Story’
Umm, they’ve been on Letterman?

16. Section 25: ‘Roma’
These guys are pushing 50 and still writing songs like this? Damn!

17. Parts and Labor: ‘Changing of the Guard’
Thanks to Avery for turning me on to these guys. After hearing her mix, I promptly paid for and downloaded this. See how it works Mr. Attorney General?

18. Spoon: ‘Utilitarian’
Spoon? Who?

19. Verbena: ‘Hey, Come On’
This is from ‘Souls For Sale’, the only one worth having, before the dude from Nirvana got a hold of them.

20. The Weakerthans: ‘Our Retired Explorer…’
More delicious Canadian candy. Damn those Canadians!

21. My Morning Jacket: ‘Magheeta (Live)’
Their opus, best served up live. This one at the Fillmore.

22. Fly: ‘Multiplex’
3 of the 4 members of Felt. ‘Nuff said.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm two songs in and I'm LOVING it. Cheers Ray!

Doug said...

I was two songs in and loving it, but now I'm three songs in and on the fence.

Actually, I haven't listened to it yet. But I'm very much looking forward to doing so, as Mr. Welter's musical taste is unimpeachable.

Anonymous said...

Muscular (at times vascular) beats. All hail Section 25! I also find Ideal Free Distribution very compelling. You're right about that Maximo Park track - I find his vocal stylings a bit...much. Props for the final track as well - it spins the listener off into the ether. Which makes it...ethereal. Straight outta Richmond! Thanks Ray.

Anonymous said...

With an apartment like the one you're offering on the cover, I'm available for a meaningful relationship anytime, honey...
also
Felt?
So thar...
also also
did I miss something? Or did someone write another song about me? I only know the Gorky's Zygotic Mynci one.
-C. Ricci

Ray said...

RE: The Christina Ricci comment.
If you search for Felt on Itunes, some lame hip hop groop comes up (unless you choose "alternative". They have two albums: one for Christina Ricci and one for Lisa Bonet. I think I've said enough.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, that is lame, regardless of my stellar performance in Buffalo '66, tap dancing to King Crimson in a bowling alley, doesn't get much better that that, really...
yers,
C. R.

Anonymous said...

Great mix. As for Felt, after the band broke up Lawrence went on to form Denim. After that it was Go Kart Mozart.

Doug said...

Go Kart Mozart? I only like their early stuff.

Ray – I listened to this several times on a solo road trip to Mt. Shasta for a long weekend of fishing. My luck was terrible, but your mix was (and will always be) amazing.