Date: Friday, March 20, 2009
Miracler:
Tim Carroll
Location:
Austin, TX
About Tim, in his own words
A displaced Frisco native (third generation Mission Irish, y'all!), Tim is now living in exile somewhere in Texas. That somewhere being Austin, he has no complaints. A right lovely town. Especially if you have ears for la musica.
Tim's been chipping out an existence doing design, illustration, and animation for three decades. With work published, exhibited and televised on-- count 'em!-- four continents. Becoming a kindergarten teacher is his latest dream. Honest. On the cusp of turning fifty? Well, heck-- fifty down, fifty to go. Don't Bogart the longevity drug, my friend.
Illustrations and stuff are here.
Kid's music video done for Shonen Knife is here.
Mix is here.
Now go out there and get some Zzzz's, everyone!
XOK
10 comments:
Kelly - Where is this "Frisco" place you speak of?
Tim wrote that, not me! Even though I AM familiar with that place...
Not the kind of stuff I usually listen to but a good mix of nice songs to nod off to.
Thanks, Tim!
Sam--really? YOU introduced me to Blossom Dearie (Track 1), man! For which I owe you dear-ly.
Tim, I'm swooning over this mix. You've classed up the group with all your piano and sax and trumpet and stuff. It's a truly lovely and yes, dreamy compilation. Thanks!
XOK
Yeah, & I just scored only 50% on a punk rock quiz. And I'm not a pot-head. Don't know how to explain it.
Nice. Tin Hat Trio is new to my ears, as is Friends of Dean Martinez. Thanks for that. It was also good to hear Art Tatum playing at a tempo that was slower than the speed of light.
I might have ended with Bill Evans, and the Indonesian track was a little too tinkly for my tastes, but hey, I put Datarock on my mix, so who am I to judge?
And I'd be happy to fall asleep to Ella and Louis singing "Moonlight In Vermont" every night for the rest of my life.
The "F" word? Kosher by this San Franciscan. Put a "K" in it when yer feelin' extra frisky.
Glad you like Tin Hat Trio, Doug. Great local combo. Bed No. 2 will have another one: Bermuda Triangle Service.
Friends of Dean Martinez does an AMAZING steel guitar version of Wichita Lineman. Had to fight myself not to include it here. Maybe in a future mix? They were originally named Friends of Dean Martinez. But, well, you know-- lawyers.
Ending with "Peace Piece" sure makes a lot of sense. A beautiful nitey-night song. What with Shuffle Play and all, sequencing considerations sometimes suffer.
Thanks for hosting the site, Kelly! Every week gettin' hipped to new music and/or revisiting old favorites (like the Bubblegum selections) is a blast.
P.S. to Sam: Jonathan Richman is The Man.
Oops. Make that "Friends of Dean Martin."
Or was it "Don Martin"?
P.S. to Doug: Just got turned on to Datarock by some fellow Norwegians musicians who played here for SXSW. The Casio Kids-- another silly band from Norway worth checkin' out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGWjMGDNRM
Tim, I hope you're not calling Datarock "silly"...
Post a Comment