Monday, March 23, 2009

Intersections

Date:
March 23, 2009

Miracler:
JZ

Location:
San Francisco

11 months and 61 mixes into our Prodge
And my iTunes and I are still discovering bands we’d never heard of. Like, The Notwist? The Rural Alberta Advantage? The Whitest Boy Alive? Glass Candy? Am I just a big square, or have YOU never heard of them either? Well no matter--that’s all being fixed today. Those who fear the unknown might be warned, though—this is a Kinks-free zone. Yikes!

Mix is here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This might be my favorite...

Anonymous said...

Really sounds like a coherent suite of music. I particularly like the Notwist. Pretty sure I never heard them before.

Anonymous said...

Notwist: Yeah, man! Thanks for the introduction, JZ. Most of artists in the mix are total news to me. Really beautiful yet artful songs.

"Something New" sounds so 1970s Radio. From back when the radio waves could be interesting. That Bowie "Fashion" guitar lickity bit and the Fender Rhode-y keys are sweet.

Anonymous said...

Super-fun mix. Is "Geto Boys" the "Paper Planes" for 2009?

Thanks, J,
XOK

J.Z. said...

Glad you're digging the mix. Regarding The Notwist, start with the album, "Neon Golden". And, if you ever have a chance to see them live, do! They tour infrequently, but it's an amazingly diverse, inspiring show performed by a group of totally humble, unassuming, lifelong musicians and experimenters.

Doug said...

Lovely mix, really nice flow.

The Rural Alberta Advantage - with a name like that, you have to be good.

Beirut - is it just me, or do they sound like Arcade Fire without the strings (or pretense) on this song?

Air France - Swedish DJs making quasi-Caribbean electronica. Love 'em.

Memory Cassette - new to me. Please tell me more.

J.Z. said...

Memory Cassette was new to me, too. They're recording music under that name, as well as a dancier incarnation called Weird Tapes. Whoever's behind it has remained anonymous. The collected songs, remixes, and other random inspirations, are available free at their/his blog: http://weirdtapes.blogspot.com/

And it sounds as if Memory Cassette has a forthcoming EP release on the same label as Air France.

Laura said...

"Geto Boys" is without a doubt the "Paper Planes" of the year ... Can't stop listening to it. Lots of amazing stuff I've never heard, but I expected no less from J.Z.