DateFebruary 9, 2011
Miracler
Tim Carroll
Location
Austin
About TC
You've seen him here before, when he "classed up the group with all your piano and sax and trumpet and stuff" on Bed in March '09, about which another Miracler wrote "I'd be happy to fall asleep to Ella & Louis singing 'Moonlight in Vermont' every night for the rest of my life."
Liner Notes
1. Psychedelic Woman -- I know nothing about Honny [sic] & The Bees except that they came out of Ghana in the 1970s, and that this mysterious song shines brightly in the Most Played category of a 54,951 song collection somewhere in Texas.
2. Instant Hit -- Ari Up, the lead singer of The Slits -- and a psychedelic woman of the highest order -- died last October. She was only 48. Lived in the Caribbean for a spell.
3. Tropical Hot Dog Night -- Don Van Vliet/Captain Beefheart, we miss you too.
4. Fot I Hose -- The Casiokids stayed at my place during SXSW a couple years back. Charming and genuine Norwegians making beautiful music with toy instruments, without a hint of irony. They played four and five gigs a day, riding Capitol Metro busses all around Austin. This song feels like it emerged from a hotter climate than Norway's.http://www.myspace.com/casiokids
5. Eight Miles High -- The first song I ever heard guitar virtuoso Leo Kotke sing. Nuts about Hüsker Dü's amped-up version too. But this High better fits the mix's "back story" which somehow involves a couple flying off to a tropical island in lieu of checking into a rehab clinic.
6. Do You? -- Jolie Holland's use of the baddest of all bad words is utterly heartbreaking.
7. Why Am I So Short? -- Goes with the previous song (if you imagine that vacationing couple in mid-argument), has a pre-paralytic Robert Wyatt cycling through the toms all Keith Moon-ish, and is the source of that weird Jazz break borrowed by Momus for Kahimi Karie's song "Good Morning World."
8. Summer Wine -- Inspired by Kelly's All Frank mixer, I wanted to fly away with The Chairman. Went with his daughter instead. Lee Hazelwood (Another recent R.I.P.er) came along too, thanks to having tons of flight miles.
9. Kaw-Liga -- The Residents covering Hank Williams to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean beat? Works for me! Story Corner: I once attended a small dinner party with The Residents' mystery singer. Before arriving I was asked not to let on that I knew who he was. That was weird, being such a big fan and all.
10. Indian Love Song -- Now this is what Kaw-Liga and his poor ol' wooden head needed to hear. And so, finally, our couple has stopped fighting, the drugs have worn off, and they've settled into their tropical Eden together.
11. An Occasional Man -- Abbey Lincoln, also now resting in peace. Hopefully on an island in the Pacific. Swimming wearing just a great, big, smile.
12. Wichita Lineman -- Off into the golden sunset with this one. As a kid I wasn't the biggest Glen Campbell fan ever, but still thought his Lineman song was hauntingly beautiful. This version is even better. And maybe yet another sort of Sinatra-y/Rat Pack-y pick? The band's original name was Friends of Dean Martin before the cease and desist order got delivered.
Mix is up; USE SAME NEW PASSWORD FROM LAST WEEK FOR NEXT 3 MONTHS; REMINDER IS IN YOUR EMAIL. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
Until next week,
XOK
14 comments:
Fun mix! Really like the Fela Goes to the Disco vibe of 'Psychedelic Woman.' Always loved that version of 'Eight Miles...' since I learned of it through my parents who discovered Kottke via "A Prairie Home Companion."
What is it with those crazy Scandinavians making weird and weirdly cool music? Really dig this track!
Nice, tasteful mix with re-interpretive covers, which is always appreciated. Slim Whitman is sounding particularly nice tonight. I just started reading Totally Wired, Simon Reynolds' post-punk interviews book, & it starts with Ari Up, who played post-punk before punk got posted. Thanks for sharing, Tim.
Particularly liked The Soft Machine track. Long live Jimmy Webb.
Maybe it's a coincidence, but I sure listened to a lot of Slim Whitman when I lived in Austin T. Brings me back.
Thank you including Leo Kotke's 8 miles high. I recently heard Roger McGuinn play this solo, and like Kotke, it sounds like there are at least two people playing guitar.
Instant Hit went straight into my favorites.
For years I've been trying to convince people that Wichita Lineman is greatest song ever written about cocaine. This version is not helping my cause (amazing version, though...thx).
Fritz -- Regarding "crazy Scandanavians making weird and weirdly cool music," maybe it's 'cause they're the current version of 60s America? Having lots of money -- especially so in Norway -- coupled with a healthy social system seems to encourage certain flavors of creativity. Much like 80s Japan was, for that brief while, 60s America.
Sam -- Thanks for the "Totally Wired" tip. Looks like as fun a read as Legs McNeil's "Please Kill Me." Funny, I almost put The Fall's "How I wrote Elastic Man" on this mix, but ran out of space.
Van -- And then there's Nick Cave and Isaac Hayes singing his "By the Time I Get to Phoenix." Weird that Webb also wrote the Fifth Dimension's "Up Up and Away."
Jean-Marie -- How 'bout Austin's late great Don Walser? Another amazing yodeler. First heard of Slim Whitman care of the first stage incarnation of Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Mr. and Mrs. Jelly Donut name-check Slim as "Being popular in Europe." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb3Y4rtBrSE
Greg -- Har! Yeah, apparently Glen Campbell liked getting a little "Rhinestoned" on occasion. Traveling down the same "line"of thought, here's Liquid Liquid's precursor to Grandmaster Flash's big coke heist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL45YOtbuy0. Richard McGuire, who now draws New Yorker covers, came up with that beautiful bass line.
I like the Casiokids, which surprised me based on their name.
This FODM version of "Wichita Lineman" is really cool.
It's spacier than the one I have.
Always heard about Jolie Holland, never actually heard her til now. Like it a lot.
Cool, trippy fun. Me like. Thank you!
eclectic mix...Soft machine into nancy sinatra was jarring...boing! I listened while installing acoustic panels. Those friends of Dean Martin-ez love to get loud. I enjoyed the Residents track.
thanks,
cvs
This mix snuck past me in the inbox, the downloads folder, the pesky add-to-library step... This is great. Delicious eclectic mix of picks.
Really digging this.
Really enjoyed this mix. Totally my kind of eclecticism, including but not limited to the late great Beefheart and the Residents. Nice!
And, isn't Indian Love Song the one that liquefied the brains of the martians in Mars Attacks? Extra nice!!! Thanks for sharing that, goes straight into my Martian-repellent ammo set.
Playing catch up on my listening ... nice variety in this one. Kudos for the Slim Whitman track. How could I ever have mocked those old TV ads for Slim's albums when I was a kid. What a dope I was - I love that yodel and twang.
HA! Prompted by our hostess's gentle reminders to post, I was thinking about music from the Prodge that keeps coming back and back and lo and behold, Tim, this mix is the winningest. I loved Captain Beefheart in my teens, but hadn't given it a relisten in the -ahem- few intervening years, and I find myself coming back to it again and again. And Psychedelic Woman? It's made my 'most played tracks' list every week since this mix was posted. Many thanks! xo-x
Post a Comment