Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pairs

Date
February 2, 2011

Miracler
Christina Stork

Location
Oakland

Notes by CS

Ray: i think people are gonna dig it

me: i think you are insane

Ray: are you gonna explain the pairings?

me: no no explaining

Ray: i think you should at least point out the pairings, just to give people a push. you don’t need to explain it, but note that there are pairings let ‘em figure it out on their own

me: i was going to include a caveat, but without explanation like “Apologies in advance. I was in a mood when i made this. I look forward to such comments as “What the fuck? Who is this broad?” and “Kick her out! Kings of Leon? DON FUCKING HENLEY?” or “What loser made me listen to this even ONCE?!”

and then i will say that i am submitting additional mixes in vain hope of forgiveness or i guess i could explain explanation would go like this:

“The combination of coming late to the game of mashups, and my lifelong obsession with wanting to be a deejay has planted a seed (weed?) in my brain that pairs songs. these are some of those song pairings. if i knew how to deejay i’d make sick mashups. but i don’t, so you have to listen to them separately. i call them “mashups, deconstructed”

Ray: i think that’s good. not the former with all the cussing. makes you seem sailorish.


me: i am sailorish


Mix is up; NEW PASSWORD FOR NEXT 3 MONTHS STARTS TODAY; CHECK YER EMAIL FOR IT. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
Until next week,
XOK

19 comments:

Toby said...

Before I even get going with the downloadin' I gotta say that I love the new password. It's SO 3mpm.

Jeanne-Marie said...

It takes balls to put Don Henley on the 3mpm. I have listened to this mix 3 times over since yesterday and I dig it and what you are doing here in "Pairs". Not only that but thank you for reminding me that Tokyo Storm Warning is such a great song - I don't think I had heard that in years, and then you added in Pop! Goes My Heart....
Kudos to you Kristina!

Daniel Coffeen said...

I have to say: Any mix with Boys of Summer has my vote. I shit you not. I may not be, you know, a Henley fan. But I do like me some Boys of Summer. Oh, that came out wrong.....

And I dig what you're up to here — it's a kind of pedagogy. Yes yes, thank you.

stephen said...

Surprising how many of my colleagues recognized "Pop Goes My Heart" when I blasted it yesterday at the end of a long workday. Although they thought it was Rick Astley. "Pairs" is all about beats, right? And the idea that music we love is often incredibly similar to music we dismiss? And that we should all just get along? In, I don't know...perfect harmony? Or maybe I'm wrong. I would like to hear these mashups. And some sailorish street knowledge as counterpoint.

alix said...

Is it wrong that I was most excited by Pop! Goes My Heart??? Yeah probably shouldn't have admitted that. But the video is almost as good as Rick Astley....sigh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

And I'm with Daniel....not a Henley fan but that damn Boys of Summer takes me back to 8th grade and made me smile!

Kelly Niland said...

A fun if controversial mix, Lady Stork. I too have experienced the similarity between tracks 1 & 2 during past listens of 2.

Put me down for another sucka for "Pop Goes My Heart," written by the great Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne for the film "Music and Lyrics" (a guilty pleasure despite the dearth of chemistry between its leads. Sing it proud, Hugh!

XOK

hithisisjeff said...

I think I have at least two of them after first listen: the warpaint/nirvana pair share some of the same lyrics (warpaint borrowing from nirvana) and the Hugh Grant/Tears for Fears pair I think has something to do with Hugh Grant's character being in a kind of Tears for Fears band... ? Jay-Z and Dan Auerbach: both part-owners of New Jersey Nets... both live in New Jersey... both love money. Both love each other...

Fuck it, I'm gonna watch National Treasure: Book of Secrets for the 32nd time. Do. Not. Disturb.

Anonymous said...

Why am I the only non-artistic one in this entire project? Seriously, your album art is so beautiful, it's almost enough to forgive you for including the oft-mentioned Don Henley. Almost.

-- kellen

Unknown said...

Good mix, great concept...why it's musical concentration!!

Ray said...

i have said all i am going to say in the liner notes. thank you.

pepe verde said...

Totally loved the mix, totally love the concept behind it and --damn it, I must admit, I totally fell for Hugh Grant(?!?!?)'s "Pop! Goes My Heart". It's so well crafted, the parody is so well executed, it sounds like the real thing! Instant guilty pleasure. And thanks Alix for posting the link to the video. Hilarious!

On a separate note, Kelly, did Adam Schlesinger really write the song? I read elsewhere it's by Andrew Wyatt (of Miike Snow). Tell me what you know, I'm a Schlesingfan! :)

peter b said...

I'm embarrassed to admit my dorkiness and say I was more into 'Dirty Laundry' once upon a time. But when I hear Don Henley now, I can only think of Mojo Nixon signing 'Don Henley Must Die'.

I'd be interested to hear your mash-ups when you do become a DJ, though Warpaint and Dum Dum Girls are mighty nice on their own.

Steven T(rujillo) said...

You should seriously get to mashin'.

Love this mix - it works on me like it works on you.

Now I want some guacamole.

toria said...

Let it be said that it's refreshing to see some familiar tunes. Empire State of Mind, Boys of Summer, Pop Goes My Heart: they're my musical grilled cheese sandwich. A delicious, guilty pleasure.

Van Biesel said...

Music aside, these are my favorite liner notes. After reading the intro, I couldn't download and get listening fast enough. The Warpaint song is a great find. And Head Over Heels reminds me why I loved Tears for Fears so much in high school.

Greg Kim said...

Pop Goes My Heart is the best Wham song ever. For some reason, it makes me want to listen to Physical by Olivia Newton John. Good job.

Danny Lee said...

I like "Pop! Goes My Heart," but then again I like "That Thing You Do." Warpaint has a really good sound too.
Out of nowhere, it's got a Johnny Marr guitar vibe.
Thanks!

xtina said...

Dear Greg,
I keep forgetting to post here that 'Physical' was on the short list for this mix! It's "pair" was a song by Ladyhawke called 'My Delerium'

You're so in tune.
luv,
christina

sarah e said...

I am very sad lady C - I was coming out of my 2 year work coma and missed the boat on downloading your mix - I need it...let figure out a way to get it to me STAT!