Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kellen Alive II

Date
October 19, 2011

Miracler
Pete Kellen

Location
Milwaukee

Kellen first burst on to the Prodge
with Kellen Comes Alive in Oct. '09, a mix about which Your Hostess went a little crazy with the 5-stars button in her personal music filing system. But she's not the only one; others commented, "It's one of my all-time favorites,"Great album cover art...love it!" and "I'm in you, you're in me. Love the Great Lake Swimmers, and I haven't come across a title as good as "Young Adult Friction" in quite some time," and "This is like a 2009 Noah's Ark of animal-named indie bands,' "This is a lovely time capsule of contemporary fabulousness," and "I put this on last night and have listened to it all the way through 5 times," and "It flows so well—it's an instant favorite."

Then, a scant few months later, Kellen made us 2009—The Leftovers, in which he ran roughshod through the preceding calendar, putting overlooked gems under the spotlight for us. The group's response: "This cements it—you are my musical soulmate" and "Big thanks for keeping us up to speed with the great sounds of 2009" and "Quite a few tracks on here I wanted for my own mix. 2009 was a very good for new music" and "Thanks for adding the aural component to all of those bands that I'd just been reading about on Pitchfork. And I'm sure iTunes and Amoeba Music thank you, too. I've been very good to them because of you." See? We're an honest and very wealthy bunch here, Apple lawyers.

As if that weren't enough, Kellen followed up with The Morning After in Jan. '11, a pop opera that touched off a comment storm, from, "Well Pete, you did it again. You put together a mix of artists and songs that are even new to me!" to "I tend to listen to Prodge Mixes in the background at work, but The Morning After managed to cut through and make a mark on my conscious brain—hooray!" and, "Well, if I had this mix to listen to when I was totally hungover, I may still drink! I love the progression...sounds like you may have done some research" to "The sweetest hangover EVER! Surpassing even Diana Ross doin' The Muppets in gold lamé" to 'Fun mix. I hope you hero pulls through—he has so much potential" to "I am not alone! Somebody else likes Tame Impala! Thank you for giving me my back my life, Pete Kellen" to "Stellar all the way around, Pete. Thanks!" So you get it? Your risk-to-reward-to-return-on-investment ratio seems pretty safe today, based on past performances.

Liner Notes for today's brand-new worth-the-wait mix, by PK

James Vincent McMorrow, Mad Planet, Milwaukee Saw this singer-songwriter open for the Rural Alberta Advantage and was blown away. Inasmuch as one can be blown away by an unassuming Irishman (and Justin Vernon sound-alike) singing achingly delicate pop songs.

Starfucker, Lincoln Hall, Chicago As you could probably surmise from the name, these guys are the poster children for trying too hard. Which is a shame. Because their songs seem pretty effortless to me.

Volcano Choir, Turner Hall Ballroom, Milwaukee I saw Justin Vernon twice this year. Once in Bon Iver. And once in Volcano Choir. The Bon Iver show was a hundred times better. But everyone already has that album, right?

The Head and the Heart, Millennium Park, Chicago This was undoubtedly the biggest crowd THATH ever played for. Unfortunately, the majority of them were only there because it was sunny and the show was free. Newsflash yuppies, the guys onstage aren’t there to provide background music for your inane conversations.

Kurt Vile, Pitchfork Music Festival, Chicago In hindsight, a sprawling outdoor music festival might not have been the best place to see a sensitive singer-songwriter who has a tendency to whisper his lyrics. Lesson learned.

The National, Riverside Theater, Milwaukee I took some liberties on this one. Mostly because I’d get kicked out of the group if I used yet another National song. Instead, this is Matt Berninger (of the National) doing a duet with Sharon Jones (sans the Dap Kings). And no, I don’t think he actually knows a damn thing about Memphis barbeque.

TV on the Radio, Pabst Theater, Milwaukee Mrs. Kellen went into this show knowing nothing about the band. 90 minutes later, she loved them AND had a huge crush on the lead singer. So yeah, it was a pretty good show.

The Naked and Famous, Lollapalooza, Chicago Lollapalooza was a nonstop dance party for me this year (The Naked and Famous, Foster the People, Two Door Cinema Club, Crystal Castles, Girl Talk). That was back in August. And I still haven’t recovered. 46-year-old legs are not meant for pogoing.

Crystal Castles, Lollapalooza, Chicago Ouch. My calves! My quads! My other muscles that I didn’t know I had!

LCD Soundsystem, Terminal 5, New York This show was a warm-up for their big farewell at Madison Square Garden. At 3 ½ sweat-drenched hours, it was the concert of the year. And, quite possibly, the best show I’ve ever seen. Alas, they’re gone now. Sniff.

Mix is up. Let's get
some comments commented here.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page.
Until next week, XOK

22 comments:

GregCeni said...

Loving the first two tracks so far! Thanks Pete

Allie said...

I'm loving the liner notes and that's before I even get to the music.

Kevin Seidel said...

It's a really good, mellow mix. Not what I expected from the cover - or the liner notes. Which is good, because I don't tend to enjoy recorded "live" performances much.

Perfect deep thought stuff for me today. Is it blasphemy to say I like the Volcano choir stuff better than Bon Iver?

Nice mixin'!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I guess it isn't real clear. The 'Live' part just means that I saw all these artists live at some point during the year. But I didn't record them on my iPhone while I was there. That'd suck.

-- kellen

Anonymous said...

And yes, it's blasphemy. Very much so.

-- kellen

Anonymous said...

Wow, was just thinking an hour ago about Starfucker, and: Lo.

Jeanne-Marie said...

This mix is so dreamy and wonderful, and it all goes, and goes so well together. I never heard of the Naked and Famous and I love that song!! Meanwhile, I was regretting missing Saturday at P'fork for the Kurt Vile, but I guess that wasn't the right time or place after all.
Thanks for this mix. I love it!

lauren said...

Great mix! I'm loving a bunch of these songs and the mix as a whole. (I'm also glad it's not live recordings.)

Kelly Niland said...

Kellen mix =
1. Select all
2. Command I
3. 5 star rating
4. OK

Kelly Niland said...

PS: I can't help it—every time I hear "Representing Memphis" it plays out in my mind as a total Saturday Night Live skit— Jimmy Fallon & Maya Rudolph in soft-focus 70's matching-satin-pantsuits grooviness. I like it.

Jeanne-Marie said...

totally snl!

Doug said...

I'm with Kevin on Bon Iver—I think he blows. (Bon Iver, not Kevin.)

Pete Kellen, I love this mix. Starfucker—great. Volcano Choir—great. Crystal Castles—restaurant-quality lemonade. (Why do I wanna keep singing Puerto Rican Cousins?) TV on the Radio—love. "Caldera" used in a pop song! I saw Kyp Malone's New Rain Machine in New Orleans last year. A great show. The Naked And Famous—so totally in my wheelhouse (sorry, I've been watching the World Series). LCD Soundsystem—how in Christ did I miss the last show at Madison Square Garden that Pitchfork streamed? I hate myself for that (more than usual).

But enough with The National, even with Booker T and Sharon Jones.

Ray said...

the mix i downloaded doesn't match the list above. that said, i like it anyway, so there.

alix said...

Super groovy/mellow/cool......really liking Starfucker and Volcano Choir.

Kelly has me seeing visions of Maya Rudolph now on Representing Memphis, haha....but I still dug it!

lots of "new to me" stuff here! my fave kind of mix.

: )

Tim Carroll said...

Loverly mix, Pete. Having had the pleasure of catching both Bon Iver and The Volcano Choir in concert, I wouldn't want to pick a favorite. Thanks for adding the volcanic number to myPod. James Vincent McMorrow is new to me. Good stuff. /// Possibly as per Ray's experience, most of the song titles didn't make it down the tube. Anyone else? I'm guessing "He's Alright" is by Kurt Vile. Hitherto I've only heard his name, which sounds like a German-accented pun on Kurt Weill. TV On The Radio really satisfies, don't they? Like you and yours, my first listening was neither on the TV or the radio. TVOTR played the Austin City Limits festival about five years back -- quite the musical treat, while sweatin' in the heat. /// LCD reminds me of Eno. He/they really understand the strength of discovering that one perfect little sound, however "uninstrumental" it might be. Hitting a plastic block, or detuning a bass just so, or the distant factory chug paired with the abbreviated piano in "Great Release." Sublime! A great song to end this mix.

Wes said...

This is fantastic. Crystal Castles just played out here and I skipped it. What was I thinking? You nailed it with your description of Starfucker. What a great band, and man they try hard.

Liz Costello said...

I like your mix of cream and dirt! Well done! Enjoying the Young Blood right now. Dreaming of the Avi Buffalo on your last mix. Thanks!

peter b said...

Always enjoy your mixes. I especially like the low-key Kurt Vile and Volcano Choir tunes. Your kick-ass album artwork deserves some praise. Sweet 'Kellen' type, though your Frampton cover was awesome too. Not sure which I like better, but they both gave me a chuckle. Wish you went all out with some Kiss makeup.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for all the kind words. I'd especially like to thank Kelly Niland for either ruining "Representing Memphis" or making it way better. I haven't decided which.

-- kellen

ST said...

This playlist is lesson #1 on how to sequence music for a mixtape. Awesome.

Doug said...

NEW Rain Machine? Oops. I must have been thinking about my other favorite band, New Kids On The Block. Again—great mix, Pete Kellen.

pepe verde said...

With the tidal wave of delay that our new little guy Leo brought with him, I almost lost my chance to listen to this --thank you Kelly for rescuing me there!
Awesome mix, the whole of it --but Pete, you had me at track #1. Must admit I didn't know about Mr. McMorrow. What a devastating tune.
Thank you!