Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hampshire

Date
March 18, 2014

Miracler
Mike Trujillo

Location
San Francisco

From Snow to Spring
is where MT, the guy who brought us Winter Thing in Nov. '12, takes us this time with this vinyl-only moody, groovy, sometimes bursting-with-joy, sometimes drawing-an-introspective-bath mix. Kinda like March weather everywhere, right? 

Stuff you guys said about Winter Thing
Nice mix! Really liked Phosphorescent, Lightning Dust, and A.A. Bondy - all who were a mystery to me. And always up for a good Lee Hazelwood tune. Thx Mike :)   /   Nice mix o' stuff. Enjoyed the Phosphorescent as well. Also that Squeeze tune, which is quite different from the way I remember it 20 years ago! Quite wintery. /   Lovely mix although I'm not ready for Winter (in Ohio we live in denial about a lot of things, but especially Winter). Goodby Girl is a personal favorite and I got caught singing along to ONJ. Also loved The Honeycombs and Dion.   /   I'm listening to this mix on a cold day in Western Canada and it's absolutely perfect. It's great to hear some new stuff coupled with some absolute classics. I have never tried to hide my unabiding love of both Lee Hazelwood and John Cale. I also really liked the Lightning Dust cut. I've been a fan of Black Mountain for a while, but didn't know about this side project. Thanks, Mike.   /   Wow. You know it's a great mix when even the Olivia Newton-John song is a winner. This one just goes from strength to strength, and – score! – it's chock-full of music that (until now) I didn't have. Thanks, Mike!   /   "Tell Me Baby Have You Had Enough" + Bernalillo sunrise = surprising Monday-morning heaven.   /   Lightning Dust, Emitt Rhodes (!), Bright Eyes (Omahawesomeness), AA Bondy.... This playlist is definitely more than the sum of its parts. Sublime.   /   The Faces always make me want to drink too much and get loud and rowdy. Killer Emitt Rhodes song! Most surprising to me was how much I dug the Dion track. Thanks much for a mighty fine mix.   /   Really dig the Faces' "Had Me a Good Time." Butt loads of power in that band. Not a fan of Steve Marriott's voice, I prefer the Marriot-less Faces to their Small Faces ancestry. Love pretty much everything Rod Stewart did pre-Disco. Emitt Rhodes is new to me. Nice. Not reading the notes before listening, I thought it could be a just-unearthed early solo Paul McCartney song or something.   /   I was expecting a lot more angst from "Black Rain Black Rain", but it's not Bob Mould at all - it's a really gentle song. LIke it a lot. Never heard that Emitt Rhodes tune before, but it's great. Effortless tunefulness from that guy. Honeycombs track is one of my 3mpm faves of the year. Thanks!   /   Wonderful mood throughout Mike, even with ON John. Always nice when the first track sets the tone and I really dig that Phosphorescent song. Like most every cool song in the prodge it's new to me. Haven't listened to Squeeze in ages. Thanks for the reminder of what clever pop they roll out.   /   Other stand outs-The Faces, I like songs where the guitar and lead vocal are mixed so that neither dominates, they kind of blend together. The middle extended section of the Dion was a pleasant surprise.  

Liner Notes from MT

01. Work Song - Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames / Awesome heavy live poppy jazz blues thing. What a performance!

02. Buzzin' Fly - Tim Buckley from happy, sad / Another one of Tim Buckley's great songs!!?!?!@#*)$(

03. Angie - The Rolling Stones / Overplayed one from Goats Head Soup and hits comp cant remember the name of.

04. Lion in the Winter - Hoyt Axton (feat. Linda Ronstadt) / Everybody likes Linda Ronstadt.

05. California Saga: Big Sur, The Beaks of Eagles, California - The Beach Boys / One for this Norcal weather we've been having! Also mixes some weird spoken word vibes with a catchy hit, which I like.

06. The Broken hearted Blues - T. Rex / Great lyrics for T. Rex, how often can you say that?

07. One More Time With Feeling - Jerry Lee Lewis / One of Jerry Lees best songs. Gets better and better.

08. Lazy Bones, Little Clown - Witch / Rock band from Zambia. Sounds like garage Motown.

09. Half Past France - John Cale / Not the best words but I love the guitar on this which is a little
different from the rest of this record (Paris 1919).

10. The Time Machine - HP Lovecraft / Vaudeville revival with some heavy psychedelic stuff mixed in seems to have been a popular thing to do in the mid to late 60s. I love that sort of thing.

11. Streets of Paradise - Richard and Linda Thompson / Amazing lyrics on this one and a great sound.

12. Please Come Home - Esquerita


Mix is UPTo comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done. See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon. XOK

11 comments:

Doug said...

You had me at Georgie Fame.

alix said...

Duuuuuude..... I didn't know it when I woke up this morning, but this was TOTALLY the mix I wanted to hear today. It's packed with lots of things I like but hadn't ever heard. That opening track! So good. Made me want to dance AND flip off The Man. Loved the Hoyt Axton tune because yes everyone does love Linda (and love hearing these guys show the hipster crowd that they were doing this loooong before they bought that bespoke beard oil).

Oddly, I just found a vinyl copy of Goat's Head Soup at the thrift store last week, so Angie is totally fun to see popping up here!

Great mix once again Mike!

fritz said...

Nifty mix with a slightly woozy, just-waking-up disorientation feel to it. Mostly all new to me stuff on here, I really enjoyed the Hoyt Axton, Jerry Lee, and Esquerita tracks. The California Saga is definitely a weird number and Half Past France was really cool.

Mark Ulriksen said...

Another winner Mike. I'm a huge fan of your Winter Thing mix. Like Doug, Georgie Fame knocked me out and Tim Buckley's Buzzin' Fly was also a revelation. Other than the Stones all was new stuff to my ears. California Saga was definitely unique . I had completely forgotten that old Beach Boys "water water" number. Also dug Jerry Lee, Witch, which def. sounds like garage Motown and the finale by Esquerita.

Wes said...


So, this is my second time starting a mix without looking at the songs. It gives me a great sense of experimentation. Imagine my delight when the first thing coming out of the speakers was Georgie Fame. Fantastic. I run hot and cold on the Stones, but Angie is a great song. It should have the clicks and pops of well-loved vinyl to have the proper impact. I don’t run cold on Hoyt Axton. A great artist and this is a great song. The Beach Boys’ song brought up a wonderful discussion in my house. Mostly about the merits of the band. I defended them. There is a depth there that is rarely explored. Marc Bolan was a god. I can’t count the number of bands I’ve loved who were influenced by T-Rex. I believe in Jerry Lee. I know he was a bad guy, but he wrote some great songs. That is a great song by Witch. Now to John Cale. He was a true artist. I listen to and respect anything he ever touched. HP Lovecraft made me laugh and do that certain dance. I’m not sure that Lovecraft would have approved and that makes it so much better. Richard and Linda, wow. Nicely done, Mike. Thank you.

Beth said...

I am really enjoying this mix. First, "Work Song" by Georgie Fame really put a smile on my face when I recognized it as the song that my band (Shitty Shitty Band Band) has been playing for 15 years (we do it as a cover of Herb Alpert's version of this song). I've never heard it with lyrics. As so some of the other songs, I love the poignant urgency of the T Rex tune. And I really dig the song by Witch. Richard and Linda slay me at all times -- love this song in particular.

plasticarmy said...

Really loved this mix, great tunes, great flow - always know something's good when I keep looking up from my work to see what's playing in the background...happened on most of the songs, but strong standouts were the Witch track and the Cale song. Great stuff.

Van B said...

Fantastic mix. Witch wins my favorite track award. And I must echo Wes: Marc Bolan was a god.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Right off the bat, I want to know why you titled this "Hampshire". What gives?

Thank you for introducing me to Esquerita. I imagine him as a bad ass trail blazer and I hope heaven is giving him his due. Georgie Frame's "Work Song" is perfection. Buzzin Fly is one of my favorites and I am always glad to hear it. What do you mean Witch is from Zambia? I thought they were your pals at Hampshire.

Thanks for the Mix, Mike.

Jeanne-Marie said...

Right off the bat, I want to know why you titled this "Hampshire". What gives?

Thank you for introducing me to Esquerita. I imagine him as a bad ass trail blazer and I hope heaven is giving him his due. Georgie Frame's "Work Song" is perfection. Buzzin Fly is one of my favorites and I am always glad to hear it. What do you mean Witch is from Zambia? I thought they were your pals at Hampshire.

Thanks for the Mix, Mike.

ST said...

This mix was crazy and I liked it. First mix in a while with multiple "wh-wh-wha'?"'s for me. In a good way. I love the ambition of the Beach Boys track. Witch is really good - another vote here for fave track. And so nice to have Tim Buckley pop into my earbuds on first play. Thanks.