November 14, 2012
Miracler
Mike Trujillo
Location
San Francisco
We got a live one here, folks.
It's a New Miracler dropping a pretty fantastic debut on us. A FOS (Friend of Storxy), he has created something that this music lover is lo-v-ing. Looking forward to buying a drink for this Miracling newbie tomorrow night at the Season 5 Social. Til then, let's hear about this mix from MT himself.
Liner Notes from MT
I should have done an Election Victory mix and thought about it but the patriotic music doesn't really do it for me. So you get this instead.
Tell Me Baby Have You Had Enough --
Been getting into this record from a bit ago. Space country from brooklyn.
Goodbye Girl --
just a personal fav.
Had me a real good time --
and a serious jam.
Tame the Lion -- As promised an Emitt Rhodes track.
This begs the question does it sound dated or timeless? Somehow the specifics
Wondering What Everyone Knows --
Cover of a great song from a few years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC7XGPTdE2w. Black Mountain side project.
Funny How Time Slips Away --
Wanted to include some Willie and some Georgie Fame on here so this had to be it. This version truly does Nelson's song justice.
Something I've Got To Tell You --
The only Honeycombs song with the Drummer on vocals. And probably their best number. If you see any videos the bass player looks exactly like Jerry Lewis.
Born To Be With You --
Dion, in the 70s getting the Phil Spector treatment. Kinda gets a Springsteen feel on this or something, also reminds me of Dylan's Brownsville Girl.
Don't Turn Your Back On Me --
this mix needs an upbeat number!
Big White Cloud --
this mix needs some John Cale!
Jejune Stars --
Never been a fan of Conor Oberst but heard this album and was kinda blown away.. Playing it straight and his stuff is starting to work for me. How old is this guy anyway? Maybe it's an age thing. Love the freaky spoken word on the album.
Please Mr. Please --
My favorite ONJ country song. Would love to find this on a jukebox. B17!
You Look Like A Lady --
A lot of people that haven't heard Lee Hazlewood tend to go crazy for him after an introduction or at least I did. Here's one from his later solo period.
Black Rain Black Rain --
Don't know much about it but this guy is good.
Don't Let Me Down --
I think there some talk of Gene Clark earlier on the boards this cover totally grabbed me the other day in the car with the shuffle on. Hadn't heard it before after listening to it for years..!?
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

19 comments:
Nice mix o' stuff. Enjoyed the Phosphorescent as well. Also that Squeeze tune, which is quite different from the way I remember it 20 years ago! Quite wintery. Welcome to the prodge!
My nickname for Mike is Mr. Reliable. Now it can be everyone's nickname for him, too! I'm in the midst of downloading now. I've read the liner notes and have been able to bust out my inner Nancy Drew and sleuth out a few of these tracks just from the descriptions, so am already chomping at the bit to get my listen on.
I'm also privileged to be hip to Mike's INCREDIBLE breadth of music knowledge. Srsly, his exposure sometimes makes me think he knows about things that don't even exist.
Mike, I'm so stoked you're part of this action! So selfish: me.
PS—classic Mike hilarious liner notes
OOH, download complete! Later!
Lovely mix although I'm not ready for Winter (in Ohio we live in denial about a lot of things, but especially Winter). Goodby Girl is a personal favorite and I got caught singing along to ONJ. Also loved The Honeycombs and Dion.
Cool songs. Maybe I'm misreading, but is this mix supposed to wrap up with a Gene Clark cover of "Don't Let Me Down"? Or is that just Mike's general plea to the Miracler community and/or world at large?) Mine taps out a quite healthy 14 tracks, but doesn't include that one.
Having same problem(?)/question as Ethan.
I'm listening to this mix on a cold day in Western Canada and it's absolutely perfect. It's great to hear some new stuff coupled with some absolute classics. I have never tried to hide my unabiding love of both Lee Hazelwood and John Cale. I also really liked the Lightning Dust cut. I've been a fan of Black Mountain for a while, but didn't know about this side project. Thanks, Mike.
Hey all,
Hmmmm, I see what you mean—the liner notes indicate the presence of a 15th track, one by Gene Clark. However, the CD sent to me only contained 14 songs. Perhaps a late-hour change-up by the Miracler?
But check this out: INCREDIBLY COINCIDENTALLY, another Miracler, the incomparable Chicago-based FRITZ EIFRIG, who couldn't be at the Social but sent a mix for the swap, had tucked a special BONUS CD into his mailing. That CD? "ROADMASTER," a 1970-72 recording by one GENE CLARK. What are the odds? Seriously.
So check this out. To reward you comment leavers/readers, I'ma give this tasty CD away as an un-announced intra-comment-box SWEEPSTAKES. Right here, right now. First commenter to say you want GENE CLARK'S 'ROADMASTER' gets it. Just another surprise treat from your collective pals at the Prodge.
XOK
I want Gene Clark's roadmaster
-up early in St. Louis.
...and too bad it doesn't come with the car he's sitting in on the cover. ;)
KEVIN "Right Place Right Time" SEIDEL WINS IT! AGAIN! '
Well played, sir. I will hand you this delicious disc (hope you don't mind if I break the seal and rip it first, you know, for posterity) IN PERSON when we share a drink (at last) in the very near future.
Congratulations to Mr. Seidel! And a hearty THANK YOU to Mr. Eifrig for generously providing the prize.
XOK
Wow. You know it's a great mix when even the Olivia Newton-John song is a winner. This one just goes from strength to strength, and – score! – it's chock-full of music that (until now) I didn't have. Thanks, Mike!
"Tell Me Baby Have You Had Enough" + Bernalillo sunrise = surprising Monday-morning heaven
Lightning Dust, Emitt Rhodes (!), Bright Eyes (Omahawesomeness), AA Bondy.... This playlist is definitely more than the sum of its parts. Sublime.
The Faces always make me want to drink too much and get loud and rowdy. Killer Emitt Rhodes song! Most surprising to me was how much I dug the Dion track. Thanks much for a mighty fine mix.
The Dillard and Clark song was one of a few that got cut due to length.....
THANKS EVERYBODY for the comments's
Really dig the Faces' "Had Me a Good Time." Butt loads of power in that band. Not a fan of Steve Marriott's voice, I prefer the Marriot-less Faces to their Small Faces ancestry. Love pretty much everything Rod Stewart did pre-Disco. /// Emitt Rhodes is new to me. Nice. Not reading the notes before listening, I thought it could be a just-unearthed early solo Paul McCartney song or something. /// The Honeycombs! Here's another great Joe Meek-produced Honeycombs' number:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrX-6n4N3M
Great John Cale pick, Mike! "Big White Cloud" is epic. That giant string section bracing the Southern twang of the piano and guitar -- so beautiful.
Lee Hazlewood: the perfect chaser to Olivia's Fig Newton.
Hmmm....
Why two copies of my posting? Blogger boggler.
Feel free to edit, Kelly.
I was expecting a lot more angst from "Black Rain Black Rain", but it's not Bob Mould at all - it's a really gentle song. LIke it a lot. Never heard that Emitt Rhodes tune before, but it's great. Effortless tunefulness from that guy. Honeycombs track is one of my 3mpm faves of the year. Thanks!
Wonderful mood throughout Mike, even with ON John.Always nice when the first track sets the tone and I really dig that Phosphorescent song. Like most every cool song in the prodge it's new to me. Haven't listened to Squeeze in ages. Thanks for the reminder of what clever pop they roll out.
Other stand outs-The Faces, I like songs where the guitar and lead vocal are mixed so that neither dominates, they kind of blend together. The middle extended section of the Dion was a pleasant surprise.And Emit Rhodes (who he?) is totally catchy. Great tune!
Post a Comment