Tuesday, November 6, 2012

State of the Union State of Mind

Date
November 6, 2012

Miracler

Ethan Prater

Location

San Francisco

What's this? Anther Miracling Debut?

That's right, luckies. AND, it's another FOD (Friend of Doug Patterson, of course). And if you've by now been "thoroughly funked" and have "shaken your sacroiliac" from last week's fantastic mix (technically still this week's) then you know that DP doesn't just pledge ANY new freshman into the Prodge. Case in point: check out what this week's Miracler has done with his calendarically opportune mix. We're putting it up a day early for fairly obvious reasons (thanks for sharing, Ahmed!): your own Miracling voting soundtrack. Welcome to the Prodge, Ethan: American/Patriot/Tastemaker.

Liner Notes by EP
Please be gentle. Doug Patterson is my Miracle Pledge Dad, so I know I’m starting from way behind.

With the US Presidential election looming - or having loomed, as it were - herewith some of its relevant states. Not just those polities that are (were) important to the outcome, but also the mindsets of the people who made the choices on Tuesday.

  1. Orange Blossoms (JJ Grey & Mofro): This paean to our southeasternmost swing state captures Florida’s particular citrusy feel.
  2. Goin’ Out West (Charley Horse): There’s opportunity everywhere in the USA, and Tom Waits nails the crazy bravado of those wanting to take advantage of the Louisiana Purchase. (This recent cover version gives you all the benefits of Waits’ writing with none of the agony of his singing).
  3. Hurricane Party (James McMurtry): Not too far west, though. Hurricane Katrina still looms large in many voters’ minds. On this track the laconic James McMurtry makes his 3MPM debut and evokes American stoicism in the face of looming disaster. (Is there a better lyric than the opening couplet?)
  4. Ohio (The Black Keys): Effectively the only state that matters in a Presidential election. I had to swap out The Low Anthem’s homage when another rookie Miracler grabbed it earlier. Let’s accommodate with this relatively little-known digital-only single release from Ohio’s native sons.
  5. Youngstown (Bruce Springsteen): The critical swing state gets two songs. The Boss borders on treacle, but gets the point across..
  6. Chicago (Sufjan Stevens): The political home of this election’s incumbent merits a shout-out. This alternate acoustic version is different from what appears on Illinoise.
  7. What Would Jesus Do? (Chris Thomas King): Wears its feelings on its sleeve.
  8. Let’s Make a Better World (Earl King): I wouldn’t please DP if I didn’t include a track from the ‘70s. Good-natured, while eerily prophetic of a campaign marked by, “You didn’t build that.”
  9. Wisconsin (Bon Iver): On our way out, stopping through another swing state (and home of a VP candidate). The best song from Bon Iver’s debut album - I’m surprised it was available only as an iTunes bonus track.
  10. So Much to Live For (The Lee Boys): A high-spirited leadout recalling the role of religion in this and all Presidential elections.

Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.

See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.
XOK

9 comments:

Gioia said...

Great idea! Beautifully executed. James McMurtry is a new discovery for me. Loving it. Thanks Ethan!

Doug said...

Thank gawd there was a 70s track! Weird, though – an Earl King song without him playing guitar? Is that legal? Really liked JJ Grey & Mofro (never heard him before, but he keeps showing up in my Genius recommendations), James McMurty (never heard of him period), and loved the Bon Iver song – and I say that not being a fan. Also hadn't heard the Black Keys song, this version of "Chicago" or the band Charley Horse. Enjoyed them all. A great mix for a rainy post-election day.

Go Ethan! Go Obama!

ST said...

Hi Ethan! Cool mix. I stepped back and thought about how may directions one could run with the idea and I really like the one(s) you took. The Sufjan Stevens alt version is always fun, and for me it wedges nicely with the Bon Iver track. And the Charley Horse Waits-avoidance-logic works well enough for me :)

(Also: Really? This is McMurtry's prodge debut?)

Tim Carroll said...

Tasty and timely stew. Love the concept. Welcome, Ethan!

Cool to hear New Orleans' great Earl King, may he R in P. Thanks also for including James McMurtry. He may not so country-wide, but here in Austin McMurtry's an acerbic institution. He plays every Wednesday at the Continental Club. His dad is Larry McMurtry, author of Lonesome Dove. Being a cut-the-bullshit type, I'm guessing that James hates having his lineage pointed out. He's got his own way with words.

JJ Grey and Mofro -- I've only heard, and liked, the name. Mofro now in my head. Lessfro still on it.

Hey. Have you heard "Lower 48" by The Gourds? I think you'd like it, Ethan. Considering how perpetufucked the dong-shaped state is when it comes to vote counting, it's fitting that The Gourds' first of 48 state assessments is Florida, and that the line in the song goes like this: "Florida shakes in the mystery of numbers."

Kinda applies to the whole country, y'know? Close call on that election.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988wG7siKb0&feature=fvwrel

Tim Carroll said...

A couple of lines from James McMurtry's "Choctaw Bingo":

He cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell
Y'know he likes the money, he don't mind the smell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEJPqJtZsk

Ethan Prater said...

Glad to see James McMurtry making his way into the Miracler mindset. Even with the occasional mawkishness, at his core he seems just deeply genuine.

@Dougie - I'm also not a Bon Iver fan in general. Maybe that's why I like this track.

@Tim - that Gourds record is not familiar to me, but I will be listening to it via Rhapsody on the way home tonight.

Doug said...

(My VERY close friends call me Dougie, y'all.)

Mike T said...

So glad there are Austinites in this group!

Wes said...

Nicely done, Ethan. I particularly liked the Charley Horse and James McMurtry cuts. And I'm not ashamed to say that Ohio is one of my favorite Black Keys songs. Oh, and the Chris Thomas King cut was perfect for this theme.