November 21, 2012
Miracler
Allie Fung
Location
Rockridge, Oakland
The Return of Fung
After a couple weeks of (excellent) Prodge debuts, I'm thrilled to bring an Original Miracler to the stage. That's right: it's Treasure Maker Allie Fung, she of Awkward in Autumn '11, as well as Endless Excellent Class Action in Winter '11, A World of Fine Dining and Pop Miracles in the fall of '09—AND Allie's Listening Party in Winter '08.
Some of the SIXTY-ONE comments you guys have written about past Fung Treasures include: Fungtastic. In fact, this mix is almost as entertaining as one of Allie's Facebook updates. / STOKED. / Holy awesome. This is all just so fantastically perfect. You went through my head and addressed my musical desires. Favorites: all. / Another AF mix that makes it into my "repeat" playlist hall of fame. P.S. I think we watch the same TV shows. / The Temper = Awesome Morning Anthem / Immediate faves are East Harlem, the Future and Helena Beat. Future faves who knows - cause your mixes always have long lasting flavor. / i feel awkward saying this, but I always look forward to your mixes. as usual, this does not disappoint. / Stellar. I'd go on but you get the idea. / This mix is pure pop deliciousness. Well done. / Mose (coworker at the shop): "Who's this?" Me: "Oh Darling" Mose: "It's adorable!" / In my limited one year 3mpm membership, it can be said that i love allie fung mixes....lots of great stuff. / This is indeed a mix of great pop pleasures. Why do I always like songs that reference the difficulty of getting out of bed? And Oh Darling is some delish sugar that should be a soundtrack for the best teenage drama yet. Thanks for being an excellent ambassador from the sugar realms, Allie! / Swell mix. I love the high-energy Vaccines tune that came bursting out of the gate to start this thing off. / I downloaded this and immediately popped it on as I puttered around the house. Fifteen minutes later I was wondering why I was go go dancing as I washed the dishes and realized I had been hopping to this mix all over the kitchen. My first Allie mix....and I love it. Way to represent the East Bay lady.... / This was a welcome dose of musical uppers in my iTunes library. / The aggravations of a long day don't stand a chance against the infectious Neon Trees track. / "Fuck You" is the shit. Thanks for including it, Allie. It's right up there with the best fuck yous of all time, including Nilsson's: / I was mad at Cee-Lo for doing a clean version and, worse, yet, allowing those no-talent ass clowns on Glee to do an even cleaner version. But after hearing the original again, all is forgiven. / LOVE the cover. / Now it's official: I always love, love, love your mixes.Shiny! Busorama! / I know--I'm at the point where I crack open a new Allie mix and just automatically 5-star the whole thing. So, what does that brain + now = ? Let's find out. Together.
Liner notes from AF:
All I have to say is Laura Compton did it AGAIN! She swiped a song from under my nose. This year it was M83’s “Midnight City.” (Hostess correction: it was actually Laura's sis Sarah, from Miracle Run, though AF did borrow another track from a distant-past mix. Fortunately, this mix is so enjoyable regardless, as was the Temple of Chocolates accompanying it, that This Hostess will not be pursuing charges.)
If I had had my druthers, the mix would have gone a little bit differently with Midnight City, then Black Marble’s “Pretender”, and then Little Dragon’s “Ritual Union”. If you have time to mix it up a bit, do so. Its been my soundtrack for 2012. Fortunately Santigold saved the day (playing December 12 at the Fox in Oakland). So instead of breaking the “no repeat” rule, I broke the “45 min” rule. Hot Chip does not know how to compose a 3 minute song. Alexis just can’t help himself.
Enjoy!
1. Of Monsters and Men – Dirty Paws
2. Fun – We Are Young
3. Tennis – Marathon
4. Hot Chip – Flutes
5. Breathe Carolina – Blackout
6. Sleigh Bells – Comeback Kid
7. Real Estate – It’s Real
8. Alabama Shakes – Rise to the Sun
9. Black Kids – I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend …
10. Santigold – Disparate Youth
11. Little Dragon – Ritual Union
12. Black Marble – Pretender
13. Nero - Promises
Mix is UP. Same password—check your inbox.
To comment on this mix, click on the 'Comment' button below the post and write something. If you don't have/want to use your Google etc. accounts, just type your name in the "Name" box and you are done.
See you back here or on our members-only Facebook page soon.

12 comments:
This mix is easily going to make it into my "guilty pleasures" list. I can't help but like that song by Fun. And what a great song by Alabama Shakes. Black Marble is new to me and just delightful. Thank you Allie.
Awesome as usual; Allie's mixes are my favorite I must say. Even without Midnight City (sorry 'bout that).
Really great progression/transformation from start to end. Be bop to Synth bop and on... Always love your energy Allie! And thanks for the Of monsters and men, and Alabama shakes, And Tennis?! really good stuff!.
O this pleases me. As ever.
Allie, I really like Tennis and Real Estate. (Sounds like a dating profile). Seriously, though, really nice flow from song to song.
That Ritual Union/Little Dragon song is delicious! If that's synth pop, I like it (and I didn't think I liked it). The Pretender/Black Marble song was equally delish.
I'm really diggin' some of the indie faves from the year so far! And last year, too, I might add. I think Sleigh Bells made one of their best records to date with 'Comeback Kid' and man, oh man, can you not go wrong with Real Estate. 'Marathon' is most definitely my top song though because I am an absolute sucker for throwback 50's pop, and I'm not even getting into the whole seafaring appeal! Fun mix Allie!
Great stuff, Allie. Breathe Carolina – the pop version of Justice? LOVE the Alabama Shakes track. Ditto anything by Little Dragon. Black Marble is new to me (my apologies to any Miraclers who've already added them to a mix). Santigold can do no wrong. And I've been trying to find a place for Tennis on my own mixes – nice to finally see them here. But I'm still on the fence about Fun. I'm tired of kids thinking that they can set the world on fire. Grow up!
This is 'wake up juice' a wonderful morning tonic! Paul Rhodes
I detect a love of electronic drums (all but two) mixed with infectious positivity. Not my thing...
...except that I loved it. Already a fan of Real Estate. But never thought I liked Santigold. Apparently I was listening to that other Santigold? Same with Sleigh Bells. I don't like them. But I liked them. And there was Tennis was all their 50's tunesmithery, which I also wouldn't normally get behind.
Perhaps my tastes don't reflect my tastes at all?
My only other pre-conceived musical pet-peeve which was not overturned? The use of that "Hey" shout in choruses first made popular in Spaghetti Westerns - and now reprised by all the "it" folk/pop/combos resembling Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. That said, I like Of Monsters and Men.
soooo....other than that minor quibble, I loved it. Weird.
So glad everyone is liking the mix. As per usual its my favorites from the past year or so and mixed up to form a musical progression of sorts. Most of the songs have been listen to by yours truly over 50 times.
I'm loving this latest Allie masterpiece. "Ritual Dragon" is my current favorite but I expect that to change the more I listed to it ... and ll tracks are on my iPod.
Post a Comment